Author Topic: Original Gas tank and lines...  (Read 2924 times)

Offline pyro225

Original Gas tank and lines...
« on: September 01, 2017, 02:46:10 AM »
so as part of my hull split i was going to take the tank out and check it out... I'm guessing with the top off this is easy?

Anyway i was thinking as its been sat and its metal it would have passed it but realised it had half a tank of gas in it... are these metal tanks still good? is there anything to watch out for or any detergents worth trying when i get it out?

also the fuel line - i think this is original - same question do these go bad or do they generally last? just wondering as it makes sense to check while open...

thanks

Offline Hyperacme

• Administrator
Re: Original Gas tank and lines...
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2017, 08:16:38 AM »
As long as there's no rust, deep pitting or corrosion on the outside it should be OK.
Do a search on Google / YouTube for cleaning fuel tanks (inside), there are a few ways to do it.

Mine was cleaned by a dealer, previse owner had it done.
My fuel line from tank to splash well is copper and still in good shape, I replaced the rubber line / squeeze bulb from splash well to motor with a BRP / Evinrude line after reading they were one of the best.

I believe your boat was/is used in salt water ... so might be best to just replace with a plastic tank.
Would be a good time to make adjustments to fit, if you can't find exact size/shape tank.
Rich deals with boat used in salt water and would know best material to use for line from tank to splash well.
A water separating fuel filter would also be a good idea ... Two strokes hate bad fuel !

Offline Rosscoe

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2017, 07:43:25 AM »
If you don't want to mess with fitting an aftermarket tank, there are places that clean and reseal them. I had it done to one of mine. It was a couple hundred dollars, but I didn't have to worry about fitment. Most lines are copper, as far as I know.  Not sure if they go bad internally or not.
Ross
61 Surflite 1964 90HP Johnson project
67 V163 Bayflite Super Sport  1989 100HP Merc
67 V164 Bayflite 120HP
67 V174 Crestflite Rat Rod
71 V175 Crestflite 350ci -Jet
73 GT 160
84 CVX 17  83 115 Merc
88 CVX-23 350 Mag

Offline Plugcheck

• Donate members
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2017, 08:39:02 AM »
Radiator shops will sometimes do fuel tanks for restorations.  I'm more a DIY type of person so this is what I would do.  Remove, empty, inspect the seam for wetness/oil, then power wash both the inside and out.  Carefully examine both the inside and outside especially around fittings and low area inside where water can collect.  Sometimes this requires a special inspection camera depending on the tank.  If the tank is clean you may not need to do anything further.  If rusty or corroded, then a chemical cleaner is warranted, followed by a sealant such as red kote.  Restoration specialty retailers such as Eastwood, Jegs, and Summit all carry kits with the necessary items and information related to making a steel tank like new.  Fuel lines are generally copper, are rarely need replacement unless physically damaged.  They may develop a green patina, but that is not harmful.  Rubber lines should be replaced if there is any question about there condition.  Add a good water sep filter, and the system should last for many years to come.  Good luck.

PS.   Poly tanks are great replacements, but it will likely require some fabrication to make one fit in the original space.   A new steel tank is possible, but if I had to customize a mount for one, I'd opt for the poly tank.

Michael
1979 CVZ-18 388 CI Vortec Mouse
1980 CVX-16SS 140 Mercruiser
1979 CVX-16 Johnson 175
2002 Bennington 2275CC 90 Mercury
1985 Intimidator project
1989 Lowe 200 Redneck fishin Toon
2001 Godfrey Sweetwater pontoon 115 Rude

Offline pyro225

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2017, 11:26:57 AM »
Great thanks guys I will get her out and inspect it hopefully no work needed other than a clean if there is I may go poly - line is externally good so will leave it