General Category > General Discussion

Timi time

(1/31) > >>

Plugcheck:
     Weather was great this past holiday weekend, and I needed some exercise from Thanksgiving, so I decided to put some time in the Timi.  Besides which, who cant get enough of looking at rotten transoms, floors, and stringers?   The stringers were encapsulated, but I make some test drilling with a 3/8" bit and found nearly the entire length was soaking weight.  Looks like water found its way in somehow, the staple holes to attach the floor might have something to do with it.  Spent about 4 hours start to finish, having a Stihl TS400 certainly saved a lot of time.  Cut up the pieces and put nearly all of it at the curb.  The 55 gallon fuel tank was a real hack job, and it looks like the Port side took a torpedo at the water line.  The previous patch is horrible.   Just need to final clean and grind then determine if I go composite or back to original with wood.   Cant find any composite suppliers here, and shipping is just too high to order 4x8 sheets.  The flotation foam on each side of the engine is in fine shape, but the two pocket areas in the stern were soaked and had to be disposed of.  Must have sat bow high for a long time. 

V153:
Atta boy!

dorelse:
There's some progress!  Good for you!  The weather has certainly been cooperating nicely.

Plugcheck:
     I don't suffer the fiberglass "allergy" that some do, but I do get some minor irritation.  I've put off the project till now as I wanted it to be cooler, say 35-45 degrees so that wearing coveralls, respirator, hat, gloves, etc is more comfortable.   But the weather has been fantastic, so T-shirt, respirator, and jeans it is.    Personally I prefer to do the tear down outside as it saves the shop from billowing clouds of dust, could try a dust collector like Joe did, but don't own one.   Thought about making one either from a furnace fan or shop vac, but then that's time away from the actual work.   The task actually took longer to clean up the torn out stuff than to actually perform the tear out.   
    BTW, I suspect the top of the Timi weighs maybe 250lbs minus the engine cover, which is maybe 20-25lbs?  I used a four post lift, but the task could be easily handled by four people at the corners.   The top is now resting on another boat trailer with a bunch of 2x4's screwed together to support the top in 6 places.   

robertv17:
Very cool indeed.

I am getting ready to pull the cap off my Timi also.....you beat me to it!!!  Thanks for the picks, was it easy cutting the fiberglass at the transom?

Good to know it is not too heavy, I plan to hoist it and hang it from the roof of my tent garage.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version