General Category > General Discussion

Alpha 1 Gen 2 rebuild

(1/5) > >>

fireman24mn:
As most of you know I need to rebuild my outdrive on the 23.  I am wondering if any one has researched gear sets, shafts, seals, etc. Looking for some advise for rebuilding my drive to handle the higher HP better.  If you have part numbers or things you have heard to do.

In searching the internet I dont find a lot other than stock merchandise gear sets.

Do you think it would be beneficial to have a gear set heat treated? Generally it seems that the upper gear set is the most common failure.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Hyperacme:
Has Tim got any feed back from guy on Facebook that was talking about Alpha mods ?
Eight years behind a big block sound like it's to good to be true ...

Facebook post ...

" heat treated 1.32 upper gears, offshore shore carrier, and one or 2 other goodies.. the water pump in drive is just for my drive shower... the drive was put together by one of the best who has shown me a lot but I leave the hard stuff in the drive to him.., fully restored overbuilt for bb, "

TV27:
I need to rebuild the outdrive on "Toni's Toy" also, so far my research has led me to Roberts Marine. The tech there is rebuilding them with a non-stock gear set and I have yet to talk to him but Jim over at Imperial Boat Repair in Hudson says that's all he uses now.

fireman24mn:

--- Quote from: TV27 on December 13, 2017, 08:06:00 AM ---I need to rebuild the outdrive on "Toni's Toy" also, so far my research has led me to Roberts Marine. The tech there is rebuilding them with a non-stock gear set and I have yet to talk to him but Jim over at Imperial Boat Repair in Hudson says that's all he uses now.

--- End quote ---

Do you know what aftermarket gear set he uses?  I have read both ways on what to use. Some swear by the stock Merc with regular maintenance and synthetic oil. Others aftermarket gears, but still synthetic oil.

I have a drive shower although I may try to come up with some sort of cover/ hood to bolt on with a scotchbrite pad or something to hold the water a few secs longer to hopefully transfer more heat away. I talked to Old Red about it he was working on building one but never got it done.

Carlson_from_Germany:
Shawn have you ever checked your drive shower when in full speed?
I noticed that your boat runs pretty dry. When I had the Gen 2 Alpha on the Intimidator I once put a GoPro on the back to the see what happens.
When trimmed the shower was not doin anything as it was too high up to touch the water. So when it was actually supposed to cool it down it did nothing.

I still have to figure out what to do with the Bravo. It really doesn't need a shower but I'd still like to build one without drilling holes. I had the Simrek Summit drive shower before but as I said it doesn't work on my setup.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version