Author Topic: Electric Fuel Pump Woes  (Read 5461 times)

Offline thedeuceman

• Administrator
Electric Fuel Pump Woes
« on: June 05, 2018, 12:41:46 PM »
we had Keisha and Jake's 1900 out on the river last night for the first time this year, ran ok at first but started cutting out at WOT as we were approaching the no wake at Hudson (launched at Hastings)
stopped at the beach by the peer and had no fuel pr reading on the gauge. checked the filter, no water in it, put it back, bypassed the oil pr sw so i could troubleshoot it, still no pr. pulled the filter again, it had some fuel in it, still no water, replaced the filter, still no pr. pulled the line off the filter going to the pump, filled it with gas to see if priming would help, nuthin. last ditch effort, bang on the pump with a crescent wrench... yea it now has fuel pr. and worked to get us back to the launch.
My question here is what are other people using for electric fuel pumps ?
and have you had any problems ?
the tank has 2 vents, and i did check it by opening the fill cap, it is plummed as orignal only with the electric pump in place of the mechanical (fuel pickup connected to orig merc filter/seperator, then to the inlet of teh pump, then to the carb.
i used an Airtex 8377, also have one on the bal harbor. but this is the second apparent failure, i went back and looked at the installation available in the atriex website and the only thisn i missed is it says to "mount the pump so the outlet is 30 degrees above horizontal" mine is mounted horizontal to the stringer and the outlet is to the back so when beached the outlet is pointing down, could it be that simple ?
anyway airtex seems to be a reputable manufacture and the pump is reasonably priced at just under $40.
not lots of marine options out there, i see carter makes one that is a vane type for around $60 and the Holley "red" pump is $150. all the rest are way out of my price range.
Joe
75 GT150 "SeaDeuced"... Its Back !!
92 16CSS "Attitude Adjustment" is for sale
75 CV-16V8, Project
74 CV-16... its Purple !

Offline 75starflight

Re: Electric Fuel Pump Woes
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2018, 01:32:08 PM »
Joe, @thedeuceman

I run an electric on Phoenix. I picked up a marine pump off of ebay. When I got it I compared it to a low pressure Delphi pump I sell at work. All the markings were the same and specs on the pump identical. Phoenix's electronic pump went out when I winterized her in the fall I will be installing a Delphi pump that I sell at work.

Delphi part number HFP950
I stand corrected on my previous statement. I looked up the specs again and this pump is not marine certified.  I guess I will be ordering an airtex.  CRAP
« Last Edit: June 05, 2018, 01:53:45 PM by 75starflight »
1975 v-179 starflite

Offline thedeuceman

• Administrator
Electric Fuel Pump Woes
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2018, 01:55:39 PM »
That’s interesting, it looks exactly like the one I am using, I would guess that either Delphi makes it for airtex or vice versa. the number that you listed is rated for diesel, and it doesn’t carry a marine rating. I’m always going outside the lines and trying to make just about anything work... and I’m not trying to sound all uppity here but when it comes to the engine compartment on a boat I think it’s important that any device in there carriers and marine rating. I can’t find anyway to look up the Delphi pump from their website like as in generic application is what the ratings are and so forth.
Although I will admit, that it’s interesting yours failed as well and just one more thing to make me think I need to use a different brand or style.
Guess I have never been really impressed with the solenoid type pumps anyways
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
« Last Edit: June 05, 2018, 01:57:33 PM by thedeuceman »
Joe
75 CV-16V8, Project
74 CV-16... its Purple !

Offline 75starflight

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2018, 01:57:54 PM »
That’s interesting, it looks exactly like the one I am using, I would guess that either Delphi makes it for airtex or vice versa. the number that you listed is rated for diesel, and it doesn’t carry a marine rating. I’m always going outside the lines and trying to make just about anything work... and I’m not trying to sound all uppity here but when it comes to the engine compartment on a boat I think it’s important that any device in there carriers and marine rating. I can’t find anyway to look up the Delphi pump from their website like as in generic application is what the ratings are and so forth.

I just looked at the spec sheet in the with the pump it is not marine certified. And I agree with you Joe on using the correct parts, So now I have to wait for a pump.
1975 v-179 starflite

Offline thedeuceman

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2018, 02:01:53 PM »
I am seriously considering the carter pump as it is a vane pump not a solenoid, I will also note although it is not on my list of options, the Mr. gasket pump they sell at Oriley‘s with the plastic body does Carry a marine rating. I have one that I carry as a spare I won’t install it permanently because I accidentally pulled the output fitting out of the plastic one time.
Just a note that one of those will get you on the water and still be on the up and up

Joe
75 CV-16V8, Project
74 CV-16... its Purple !

Offline Plugcheck

• Donate members
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2018, 02:40:24 PM »
     I run a Carter Marine electric vane pump and never had an issue other than when I bumped one connection off.  Does not require an external regulator and it runs about 4-5 PSI into the QJET.   Readily found under $100.00, I think mine came from Wholesale Marine for $60 some.   Not sure the technology used in the airtex, but electronic pumps use a check valve on the output and I've had them fail with just a minute amount of gunk.   If its "thumping" but not making pressure, that might be it.  A bank with a wrench might dislodge the object and now it makes pressure again.  Just a thought.........Might just need a cleaning and a finer fuel filter?
Michael
1979 CVZ-18 388 CI Vortec Mouse
1980 CVX-16SS 140 Mercruiser
1979 CVX-16 Johnson 175
2002 Bennington 2275CC 90 Mercury
1985 Intimidator project
1989 Lowe 200 Redneck fishin Toon
2001 Godfrey Sweetwater pontoon 115 Rude

Offline 75starflight

« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2018, 02:53:44 PM »
Well, for $54.99 and local support I decided to order the one i found from O'reilly's. It will be interesting to see how it does.

I looked at the carter vane pump, but I have no place to install it in Phoenix.
1975 v-179 starflite

Offline thedeuceman

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2018, 03:07:37 PM »
Brandon, that looks like the air tax one that I used same kit same fittings, in Liu of Mike’s comment about debris, I wonder if it wouldn’t be a good plan to put one of those auto lite metal filters on it, screw right into the 1/8th inch pipe thread on the inlet of it.

Mike, thanks for the input, I can’t believe it’s debris as it is connected right after the canister filter, but I’m leaning heavily towards the Carter at this point.
Yeah it’s kind of big especially with the bracket and the rubber grommets that it hangs from but I’m pretty sure I can find a place to stick it.

Joe
75 CV-16V8, Project
74 CV-16... its Purple !

Offline Plugcheck

• Donate members
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2018, 03:20:42 PM »
      We have used electronic(Facet) type pumps for years on VW air cooled stuff, had one fail when a spider made a home in it and I didn't notice when I installed it.  Couldn't make pressure, but was thumping.   Don't know if that's the issue with your Airtex.    I still use a facet as a transfer pump when winterizing cars and boats, sometimes they need a luv tap.
Michael
1979 CVX-16 Johnson 175
1985 Intimidator project

Offline 75starflight

« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2018, 03:38:14 PM »
Brandon, that looks like the air tax one that I used same kit same fittings, in Liu of Mike’s comment about debris, I wonder if it wouldn’t be a good plan to put one of those auto lite metal filters on it, screw right into the 1/8th inch pipe thread on the inlet of it.

I have a good fuel filter in-line in front of the one I have. It is a clear marine inline filter and I have seen debris in the filter after the season, and I change the filter every year.
1975 v-179 starflite

Offline Rich_V174SS

• 1967 V174 Crestflite SuperSport Modified
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2018, 05:34:44 PM »
I've been using one of these pulser pumps for about 5-6 years now, never had a problem with it - so far.
1967 V174 Crestflite SuperSport Modified
1987 Mercruiser 190 3.7LX/Alpha One

1970 V176 Swinger
1983 Mercury 115

Offline thedeuceman

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2018, 06:07:49 PM »
Amazing... I see you have a filter screwed right to the inlet, maybe that’s the ticket. I have kind of had my fill of screwing with these pumps, I ordered two of the Carter vane pumps from Summit racing, $55 each free shipping.
I always carry an extra pump in the Bal Harbor, and if I have trouble I can take the time to figure it out, I don’t want KEISHA and Jake to have to deal with that kind of stuff when they’re out on the water, so the 1900 needs to be turnkey.

Joe
75 CV-16V8, Project
74 CV-16... its Purple !

Offline still_fishin

• Donate members
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2018, 08:14:54 PM »
Am I missing something here?  Why are you all running electric fuel pumps?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

'80 Intimidator
'85 CV23

Offline thedeuceman

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2018, 10:42:58 PM »

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
when i first started having problems with the mechanical pump i just did not want to pay the price for a replacement ($100 to $250)
and i maybe its just me but it seems the mechanical fuel pump has always been problematic. so with all that i made that choice.
although in retrospect the electrics have been problematic as well.
oh well it is what it is. hopefully the carter pump holds up.
Joe
75 CV-16V8, Project
74 CV-16... its Purple !

Offline Plugcheck

• Donate members
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2018, 09:10:12 AM »

Not trying to start an opinion war, but I can comment I why I run an electric pump versus a mechanical.    When I built the 388 for the CVZ I chose not to run the 898's pump due to several factors, age, condition, and possibility of not being able to meet demands of the QJET at WOT.   A new mechanical that would fit the requirements was circa $175, but I have noticed the prices for the mechanical pumps coming down lately.  Vapor lock on a mech pump in marine application should not be an issue, but I've fought vapor lock before on a number of cars over time so I've become just a bit jaded when it comes to  mech pumps.   Mech pumps pull fuel, electric pumps push fuel, so mounting them in some applications may be problematic.  An electric vane pump, Carter, that I used on the CVZ has a relay/bypass interface for safety and testing.  I can prime the system, which is very handy when setting float levels, and operate safely by stopping current flow to pump if engine is not running via oil pressure.  I also use the electric fuel pump in the fall to completely pump out the tank.   
       Overall, there are valid reasons to run either one, but I'd venture a guess cost is a driving factor for most folks. 
Michael
1979 CVX-16 Johnson 175
1985 Intimidator project

Offline Jason

• Global Moderator
  • 1974 CV16SS, 1986 CV23
« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2018, 12:25:20 PM »
If I were to go with an electric pump on my boats I'd go with a vane style as well. I used a similar solenoid style pump on a few of my derby cars and had some issues with it.
Jason S.
1974 Glastron Carlson CV16SS 140 I/O
1986 Glastron Carlson CV23 260 I/O

Offline Rich_V174SS

• 1967 V174 Crestflite SuperSport Modified
« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2018, 04:28:38 PM »
Amazing... I see you have a filter screwed right to the inlet, maybe that’s the ticket.

Are you referring to my pic? It's not a filter but I think it's more of a flow regulator, it came with the pump. I do use a screw-on can filter though mounted to the transom.
1967 V174 Crestflite SuperSport Modified
1987 Mercruiser 190 3.7LX/Alpha One

1970 V176 Swinger
1983 Mercury 115