General Category > General Discussion

1969 115hp V4 Engine Problems

<< < (2/3) > >>

Hot Rod Roy:

--- Quote from: Cali special on June 30, 2018, 06:21:57 AM ---Take that motor off and get a newer one. Your lucky you can find anyone to work on it and the ethanol will destroy it.

--- End quote ---

What will the E10 damage?  I'd seriously like to know!  The new 4 strokes sure are heavy!   If you can't find someone to work on your classic engine, learn to do it yourself!   There's nothing "magic" about them.   And classic boats look the best with a classic engine!

8)

V153:
Imo the "threat" of Ethanol is overrated. Long as your carb kits and fuel lines are up to date? You shouldn't have a problem. I run "corn oil" all day long.

Retro Performance:
I am running E 10 in my stuff (all old) and have had no issues, I do burn through a lot of fuel and do not let it sit for long periods.........

Dyounge:

--- Quote from: Hot Rod Roy on June 28, 2018, 02:17:33 PM ---My '73 Ev 115 V4 had similar problems until I removed and cleaned the carbs good.   When your shop replaced what I'm presuming was the float needle valve seats, did they rebuild the carbs, or just the float needle valve seats?   I'm presuming it was the float valve seats that they replaced, since you said there were two of them.   All of your jets (there's 8 of them!) need to be super clean.   Two stroke fuel will gum up your carbs, unless you run them dry before storing the engine. 

Does your '69 V4 have an electric choke switch at your remote throttle control?  I've found that the "stumble" during acceleration can be overcome by hitting the choke control switch quickly.  This acts to enrich the fuel mixture, just as the acceleration pump in an automobile carburetor would do.  Our Evinrude carbs don't have acceleration pumps.   This is sometimes a little problem when my engine is cold.

We sure would like to see a picture of your GT-160!

8)

--- End quote ---

Hot Rod Roy appreciate the response. I honestly don’t know what all was done with the carbs but based on my impression it was only the mst basic stuff. It does have an electric choke and I will keep that in mind. I took it back to the shop almost two weeks ago but he still hasn’t gotten around to even looking at it with the holidays. I called myself just taking it to a shop to speed up the process of me stumbling my way through figuring this out but it’s not working out as planned. H should get to it soon but any future repairs I’m going to need to tackle myself.

Dyounge:

--- Quote from: Hot Rod Roy on June 28, 2018, 02:17:33 PM ---We sure would like to see a picture of your GT-160!

8)

--- End quote ---

Here are a few pics. I absolutely love the boat. Hull is solid and I’m planning on a new paint job and flooring this winter. Just need it to run right reliably.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version