General Category > General Discussion

CV16 leaker ..

(1/26) > >>

Hyperacme:
Been getting water in hull, lots of water, up to floor after an hour.
Replaced fancy drain plug with old style brass tube / plug setup, now leaks just as bad if not worse ...

Entire inside of deck to hull is fiberglassed together, 3M 5200 bead around all rear trim pieces (pic # tr10)
When I mounted motor, splash well compressed and drain plug seal broke, might be letting water in ...
I'll need to pull motor to replace, theres only about a half inch between motor and drain plug (pic # tr4) you can see the tip of a screwdriver in middle of picture.

All old / unused holes for speedo and old steering setup were filled with resin.

Other area is the plates between motor and transom that keep motor away from drain so splash well will drain.
Theres no way to seal large cut outs in plate (pic # tr2), although not sure how waters getting in, as holes in transom were coated with resin before mounting motor ...
Thinking about getting some 2-1/2" Setback Fixed Jack Plate by T-H Marine to seal better (pic #fixedJackPlate) ..

Still not sure how that much water could be getting into hull from such small openings ?
Might be a hole in hull under bunks ... But not likely ...

Hyperacme:
You can see how the set back wedges have slots that are hard to seal with sealant.

Plugcheck:
Frustrating I imagine.  Could you bow up the trailer and fill with water from the garden hose?  Maybe see where water comes out?  2nd idea, roll up paper towels and tape to the transom at various penetrations, then check to see which ones get wet?  I knew your old plug setup leaked, but the old style are pretty foolproof.  Couldn't be leaking around it maybe?

UKMike:
That's bad to hear Gregg and the boat looks fantastic, so clean and well loved!

What's that hole at the top mounting plate on tr2 just below the top right securing bolt? is that just in the top plate or is it deeper and not closed off enough?

Best
Mike

Oldfishguy:

I’m betting it is a pretty easy fix.  Lift that motor off, pull those plates, and I’m guessing an old mounting hole opened.  Flexing of these transoms has to happen a bit with the strain they must be on at times.

Put a nice patch on under that mount, the engine will hide it. 

Best of luck.

David

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version