Author Topic: 1986 Merc 135 V6 crank shaft bleed tube diagram  (Read 3060 times)

Offline UKMike

• Glastron Carlson CVX16
1986 Merc 135 V6 crank shaft bleed tube diagram
« on: August 09, 2018, 06:24:44 PM »
Hi all,

I'm rebuilding my motor in 2 weeks time but I can't seem to find an accurate diagram of the Crankshaft bleed tubes and which carb they need to be connected to. I have the Mercury Service manual for my motor but it only lists the V6 150 and above. It lists 5 and 6 bleed pipe versions but what is listed is not what I see on my motor, the bleed pipes on my motor are all the same as the manual but 2 pipes seem to be swapped. Should I take the Merc manual as gospel even though it doesn't show my 135 motor tube setup, or should I change my bleed tubes to match the Manual and see what happens?

Best
Mike   

Online Hyperacme

• Administrator
Re: 1986 Merc 135 V6 crank shaft bleed tube diagram
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2018, 10:04:46 PM »
Way above my skill level ..
But ..
I know there are 2.0L and 2.4L and the 150 V6's are the same as the 135 v6's.. I think …
Rich or Trent would know for sure ..
What is your serial number ?

Offline aquamaniac

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2018, 12:58:16 AM »
Mike,

I bought a factory service manual in 1988 for my 1986 135 V6. There are two diagrams for bleed lines. One for vertical reed blocks and one for horizontal reed blocks. I'll attach photos from my manual.

One thing to be aware of is that the small fitting that one end of each bleed line attaches to is actually a check valve with a small plastic ball inside the black painted brass fitting. Be sure to remove those fittings before doing any solvent cleaning of components. If the plastic ball inside the check valve gets sticky, the bleed lines won't function.

Offline UKMike

• Glastron Carlson CVX16
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2018, 05:29:21 AM »
Many thanks, that's really great stuff, I also purchased a copy of the original manual from Mercury but it only shows the 150 and above, it also shows 2 different options and when compared with my setup none of them seem to be the same, they are all slightly different as some have 5 bleeds and other 6, I have 6 and one of the bleed tubes seems to be in a different order.

Thanks about the cleaning, I purchased a full new set of the check valves/bleed connectors and now seeing your diagram I'm starting to wonder if at some point someone has put one of the bleed tubes on the wrong valve as the engine has always been smoky since I have had it and I assume this could well cause the issue, if the sump run off is being put back into the wrong carb at the wrong time this could well cause smoke, I think.......