Author Topic: Repowering a Classic (cont'd)  (Read 3303 times)

Offline Dyounge

Repowering a Classic (cont'd)
« on: November 13, 2018, 11:32:30 AM »
Back in August I posted about needing a new engine for my 1969 GT-160. I had settled on a 1988 Merc 115 that Supreme Marine was supposedly going to be rebuilding. I've called monthly and they took my name down. No word on when they will actually get around to repairing it (it dropped a cylinder). Not a big deal since the season's over, but a CL deal grabbed my attention. It's a 1990 Yamaha 130 V4 2 stroke. I like the look of the Merc, but have some ideas to make the Yammi look more retro. The "old" Yamahas are supposedly some of the most reliable outboards ever made according to some, but wanted to see if anyone here has any personal experience with them. According to the owner, it was originally owned by the DNR. Not sure for what purpose. Then a "racing mechanic" owned it and the current owner has had it for three years. Says it runs perfect. I'll be sure to listen to it run and do a compression and spark test.

I'm thinking it should be more reliable, easier to work on, and have more parts availability than the Tower. Weight is not bad at 357 lbs. I've read to inspect the shift rod because it wasn't made of stainless until 1995. Comes with boat and trailer and two props for what the Merc will cost. I should get more pictures tonight and will go check it out tomorrow. Thoughts??

Offline Plugcheck

• Donate members
Re: Repowering a Classic (cont'd)
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2018, 01:36:12 PM »
Yamaha makes good stuff.  It certainly looks clean, but I would still check it out thoroughly.  If money and condition were relatively equal between the merc and Yama, I'd probably opt for the Yamaha.   Other considerations, steering, tilt/trim, and transom mounting differences may also influence a decision
Michael
1979 CVZ-18 388 CI Vortec Mouse
1980 CVX-16SS 140 Mercruiser
1979 CVX-16 Johnson 175
2002 Bennington 2275CC 90 Mercury
1985 Intimidator project
1989 Lowe 200 Redneck fishin Toon
2001 Godfrey Sweetwater pontoon 115 Rude

Offline wpstarling

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2018, 03:11:28 PM »
I've got a 94 Yammy 200 on my ProLine and it runs great.  Starts with no issues or anything, now I've only been using it for a season but I love that engine, if I could put it on my CV16 I would certainly give it thought  ;D

Having said that definitely check it out, mine had all new hoses, plugs, relays, pump, etc but still had to clean the carbs from it sitting for a few months before I got it.  I also swapped the tilt/trim control box (with the relays in it) to one from a Johnson/Evinrude because the yamaha one costs more to replace if it goes bad whereas the one I put in can be fixed by going to any auto parts store, or even Wal-Mart if necessary to replace the relays. 

For the money I'd get the Yamaha.
1972 Glastron-Carlson CV16

Offline Hyperacme

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2018, 04:24:48 PM »
I've owned many Yamaha's, motorcycles and snowmobiles, very good motors !
Merc looks cooler and would look year correct with some 1969 decals.
If Yamaha checks out I would also go with it …

Offline Dyounge

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2018, 08:08:13 PM »
I got some more pics from the seller. On the heads the previous owner wrote down the compressions. Ranged from 125 to 150 psi. This is outside the 10% rule but pretty solid numbers. I will test myself of course but if these numbers are accurate, how concerned should I be?

Offline wpstarling

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2018, 08:11:28 PM »
Is just one cylinder 150 and the others within 10%?  Test it with a gauge you've used before and see what the numbers are.  That's what I'd put more stock in over numbers written down previously.

Offline Dyounge

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2018, 08:29:02 PM »
Yes just one outlier. I will absolutely be testing myself tomorrow but assuming I get similar results would this scare you away?

Offline wpstarling

« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2018, 08:47:22 PM »
If you can hear it start and run and the numbers you get are similar then I'd do it. I can only see pictures but it looks well cared for and those motors were well designed.

If those numbers are from the PO and the current owner has been running it for 3 years and the numbers you get are similar then I'd bet it's ok.

Offline Jason

• Global Moderator
  • 1974 CV16SS, 1986 CV23
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2018, 07:08:13 AM »
Looks like it's on a boat. Would sure be nice to water test it. Running out of open water for that though.
Jason S.
1974 Glastron Carlson CV16SS 140 I/O
1986 Glastron Carlson CV23 260 I/O

Offline Hyperacme

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2018, 09:07:34 AM »
Could you bring it to a dealer for a leak down and compression test ?
They could give you a better idea of engines condistion, which is no guarantee but would give some piece of mind.

Offline Dyounge

« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2018, 04:27:43 PM »
I went and looked it over and it appears to be everything the guy said. Compression was 140 and 135 on the top two cylinders and 125 for both bottom cylinders. A guy in a Yamaha Outboards facebook group claims stock compression is 130 on the top two and 120 on the bottom two. The heads are made that way. I take that with a grain of salt and will try to veify tonight, but, still, the motor seemed very solid, made no weird noises on cold startup, amsoil fluids used, gear oil looked normal, went into gear normally, no visible leaks. I think I'm going to go for it and make the deal. Short video of it running attached.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2018, 04:55:36 PM by Dyounge »

Offline dorelse

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2018, 10:46:36 PM »
Sounds like a winner to me!
1990 Sierra 1700

Offline Dyounge

« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2018, 08:43:43 AM »
I'm an owner!! Thanks to everyone who has chimed in over the last few months. Can't wait for Spring!!

Offline Hyperacme

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2018, 10:51:59 AM »
When I get a new / old motor, I'll tilt it up, remove plug, rotate piston to near TDC, squirt Deep Creep into cyl. and let sit, then repeat a few times to each cyl. over the course of a day or two. As you rotate crank/pistons the deep creep will run down exhaust and loosen gunk and carbon in exhaust system. Do it in early spring so you can start motor while carbon is still soft.
You'll get huge clouds of white smoke and sludge dripping out of exhaust .. warn neighbors !   … LOL
It could (Maybe) even out your compression numbers (Maybe) ..

I also (on new/old motor) replace all fuel lines, fuel filters and oil lines. Also make sure your fuel tank is clean and rust free if it's metal.

Not sure if this applies to Yamaha's ..

But I check oil pump linkage to make sure it set to open fully at WOT setting.
I pump a shot or two into grease zerk on motor, I get a few drops of water out of steering swivel every year.
I'll add Star Tron to fuel tank, run motor till treated fuel is running into motor, pull fuel line off motor, run as long as it can, then remove float bowl drain screws on carbs to drain the last small amount of fuel left in bowel.

Offline Dyounge

« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2018, 04:33:50 PM »
I will do exactly that! Thank you Gregg