Author Topic: St. Croix River Water Levels Threaten To Reach Historic Lows  (Read 1325 times)

Offline David CVX-16

• Donate members
St. Croix River Water Levels Threaten To Reach Historic Lows If Drought Conditions Continue

MINNEAPOLIS (WCCO) – Meteorologists are watching the skies with hopes rain will help bring river levels back up to normal.

Along the St. Croix River in Stillwater, historic low river levels are expected in days if there is no rain.

“The river level at Stillwater is near where it was on July of ’88 so that is kind of getting towards the low end,” said NOAA Meteorologist Michael Griesinger.

Back in 1988, the St. Croix River was at its lowest mark: 75.10 feet. With high temperatures and no rain, the river could sink below that in just a few days.

Although they love walking along the river and counting the water marks from previous floods, many hope this drought will end soon.

Griesinger says what happens over the next two weeks is crucial to what happens this summer and fall with water levels.

“We’re still early in this season, in our wet season, so we can make up ground,” he said.

The hope is that rain falls in places where Minnesota rivers originate, allowing it all to flow down and into place to avoid receding water.
David
87' CVX-16, 85' 115 HP Johnson, 58.8 MPH GPS w/ 23" SRX Prop

Offline Jason

• Global Moderator
  • 1974 CV16SS, 1986 CV23
Re: St. Croix River Water Levels Threaten To Reach Historic Lows
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2021, 07:34:21 AM »
Thanks for sharing Dave. I know it’s getting pretty low. Over a week ago the boat depth finder averaged a depth of 3’ from Stillwater to the Arcola bridge. Plenty of beaches to pull up to though!
Jason S.
1974 Glastron Carlson CV16SS 140 I/O
1986 Glastron Carlson CV23 260 I/O