Author Topic: U joint cap retainers are essential.....  (Read 1420 times)

Offline still_fishin

• Donate members
U joint cap retainers are essential.....
« on: July 05, 2021, 10:57:04 PM »
I got the engine back in after an oil leak repair and some ignition/ carb upgrades.  So last Thursday I test dove the boat out on the river to iron out any issues that arose prior to the holiday weekend.  I always drive up river when I test a boat in the event you need to be towed in.  Thursday it paid off.  During the final turn back home one of the u joint caps wanted to do its own thing.  For our five bangs and a pile of grinding and I had it stopped and beached.  After I anchored up I checked the bilge for water infiltration.  There was a light stream entering at the drive shaft which confirmed I had an issue in the u joint bellows.  I ended up getting towed in by some great people that heard the whole thing happen from a solid half mile away.  They had a 14' bench seat Lund about 40' up on shore unpowered.  They loaded up a fuel tank, the 15hp Johnson and a beer for the road and set out on the rescue mission. They got me back to the launch without issue, though he did ask if I had I knife he could use in the event I started to go down. I laughed but totally understood.  Well after the kids went to bed I went to find out how big the grenade was. The replacement parts consisted of one helmet, one u joint (I replaced both), one 4-5" hose clamp, an outdrive gasket,  a driveshaft castle nut in the upper drive,  and a gimbal bearing (only because it was soaked). Somehow the bellows escaped all damage.  I will say that having improperly installed the hose clamp helped with that.  It was a bit off the center of the groove. I ended up finding a cap retainer clip in perfect condition in the bellows, I pile off aluminum shavings,  one or two of the needle bearings and the cap also in perfect condition. By the end of the night,  actually morning at this point-1:30am, I had all the parts minus the gimbal bearing back together. The helmet and hose clamp where donated off a spare transom assembly I have, I had u joints, and the castle nut came from a spare drive. The gimbal bearing and drive gasket where picked up the next day to finish up repair. Thankfully Sunday went as planned. I'm a bit late here but Happy fourth America. 

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: July 05, 2021, 11:01:17 PM by still_fishin »
'80 Intimidator
'85 CV23

Offline Plugcheck

• Donate members
Re: U joint cap retainers are essential.....
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2021, 02:10:48 PM »
At least the story has a good, albeit expensive, ending.   We tend to follow suit when we go on the river, power up, and float back.   Heartwarming they helped you out with such a tiny craft.
Michael
1979 CVZ-18 388 CI Vortec Mouse
1980 CVX-16SS 140 Mercruiser
1979 CVX-16 Johnson 175
2002 Bennington 2275CC 90 Mercury
1985 Intimidator project
1989 Lowe 200 Redneck fishin Toon
2001 Godfrey Sweetwater pontoon 115 Rude