Author Topic: Anyone installed a set-back bracket or jackplate on a CVX16?  (Read 11672 times)

Offline Mechanick

• Donate members
Re: Anyone installed a set-back bracket or jackplate on a CVX16?
« Reply #40 on: January 25, 2020, 11:35:15 PM »
Yes—-transverse 18 gal was what it was.  So thats a CV config? Ok.  So it seemed too small and way too high for what i needed to do with the boat so I went to 24 gal, spun it inline, dropped it to the floor and shoved it forward (the new one had a v shaped base which let me slide it further up into the nose). 
This gas tank configuration also ended up offering a lot more leg-stretch room and storage. 
Thanks again for all your input as I went thru this project—much appreciated.

Offline Hyperacme

• Administrator
« Reply #41 on: January 26, 2020, 09:15:32 AM »
What year is your CVX ?

Yes .. Seems like a weird set up.
The CV16SS had same set up with a ski locker in center console.
Picture is Jason's CV with replaced plastic 18 gal. tank.

Offline Mechanick

• Donate members
« Reply #42 on: January 26, 2020, 01:06:26 PM »
Title says its a ‘78. I had the same wooden platform you show in your picture, but no cutout for ski storage.  So lots of inaccessible (‘wasted’) space up front and no legroom.  While the new configuration was mainly to insure the bow stays low out of the hole, the extra legroom ended up being a even bigger plus. I found a pic that (sort of) shows mid-project where the tank sits relative to the dash and front seat—-you can see the back of the aluminum tank about 8” forward of the dash, about 24” wide.

Offline Mechanick

• Donate members
« Reply #43 on: January 26, 2020, 01:27:01 PM »
I’ve highlighted in yellow the marks from the original (transverse) tank mount.  You can see the new mount, even though inline and a much bigger tank, actually comes to the same point leg-room wise (but of course now on either side you are “free and clear” all the way to the nose—lots of room to stuff life jackets and still stretch the legs.  I had intended to mount it right on the floor, but by trestle-ing it up a few inches it let me slide it further forward 6-8” (and still leave a healthy gap from the hull itself.) To facilitate storage I built 2” thick foam “walls” on either side of the tank, “floor to ceiling” and all the way to the front, so no chance of gouging the aluminum tank with an errant ski or letting anything stored fall under or behind the tank itself. 

Offline Hyperacme

• Administrator
« Reply #44 on: January 26, 2020, 06:03:59 PM »
If you look on the right side of stern, just below rub rail, there's a HIN.
Last three or four digits are year and month built.
If you care to share the entire HIN, I'll add it to our list.

Sometime titles can list year boat is sold or title was lost and someone just guessed on year.

Your tank set up looks great !
Were you able to keep original gas filler on deck or did you have to move it to fit new tank location ?

Offline Mechanick

• Donate members
« Reply #45 on: January 26, 2020, 06:24:36 PM »
Original gas filler actually worked fine.  Boat is in storage—will get that HIN# over to you in May.  Hoping to make it to the rally this year! 

Offline Hyperacme

• Administrator
« Reply #46 on: January 26, 2020, 06:36:33 PM »
Your local ?
Great hope ya can make it to the meet ..