Author Topic: Maggie's minivan  (Read 19845 times)

Offline still_fishin

• Donate members
Re: Maggie's minivan
« Reply #40 on: April 30, 2019, 09:40:51 PM »
Over the last few days I was able to get a good chunk of work done.  One layer of 1808 on the transom,  bedded the stringers in volcum, tabbed all but the center stringer, cut all the bulkheads and associated tabbing, and made the crack repair to the inside of the hull. I ended up getting sick of watching the volcum dry so I made the executive decision to just cover it up, wet or tacky,  i didn't care.

While setting up for the crack repair I had to laugh..... you could see right through the crack.  You could also see between the major cracks the hull looked like it flattened out( lost its curve). Some duct tape (aluminium, to keep the resin in the boat), two jacks and some scrap wood to get the strake back into shape. While all those lawyers of 1808 were still wet I threw the stringer in there and tabbed it in.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: May 01, 2019, 07:46:47 AM by still_fishin »
'80 Intimidator
'85 CV23

Offline still_fishin

• Donate members
« Reply #41 on: May 21, 2019, 07:34:56 AM »
Shawn stopped by yesterday and helped me flip the hull.  It went pretty easy with the arm I had welded up the bolts into the key hole.  It is a copy of the one up in Ontario,  his name escapes me.  I used a cherry picker at the transom and a come along and a large eye bolt through the garage door header at the front.  As for condition if the hull I'm really hoping to not have to bring this up to Shawn's place but the more I look at it the more it looks like that is what will happen.  Lots of blisters,  lots of cracks,  a few glass delaminations, then there is the original crack. 

'80 Intimidator
'85 CV23

Offline Plugcheck

• Donate members
« Reply #42 on: May 21, 2019, 07:43:01 AM »
Nicely done.  I remember flipping the timing hull in a similiar way, gets a bit sketchy when it comes over center.   As for the hull cracks, do you repair/reenforce the inside first, or do you repair the outside in?
Michael
1979 CVZ-18 388 CI Vortec Mouse
1980 CVX-16SS 140 Mercruiser
1979 CVX-16 Johnson 175
2002 Bennington 2275CC 90 Mercury
1985 Intimidator project
1989 Lowe 200 Redneck fishin Toon
2001 Godfrey Sweetwater pontoon 115 Rude

Offline RedOctober89

« Reply #43 on: May 21, 2019, 08:10:47 AM »
Good job! Glad it went well for you!
The bottom of my 23 was also very bad once it was turned over, it took a lot of work to smooth it out again but was well worth the work. Just a good set of arms and a long sanding block!
Are you planning on re painting the whole boat?
Andrew C.
1989 Glastron Carlson 23 CSS 350 Mag - Red October
Follow the project on Instagram: redoctober89

Offline still_fishin

• Donate members
« Reply #44 on: May 21, 2019, 09:54:15 PM »
Nicely done.  I remember flipping the timing hull in a similiar way, gets a bit sketchy when it comes over center.   As for the hull cracks, do you repair/reenforce the inside first, or do you repair the outside in?
The only area reinforced was the big crack.  The rest looked fine from the inside. For now I'm just grinding out all the cracks then depending how big they are I'm laying csm in and building it up.

'80 Intimidator
'85 CV23

Offline still_fishin

• Donate members
« Reply #45 on: May 21, 2019, 09:54:42 PM »
Good job! Glad it went well for you!
The bottom of my 23 was also very bad once it was turned over, it took a lot of work to smooth it out again but was well worth the work. Just a good set of arms and a long sanding block!
Are you planning on re painting the whole boat?
Just the bottom will get painted

'80 Intimidator
'85 CV23

Offline still_fishin

• Donate members
« Reply #46 on: June 12, 2019, 05:53:11 AM »
A little update.  The area where the original crack occurred had a few serious issues.  The area near the inner lifting strake had stress cracks in the gel so I started chasing the cracks.  I stopped chasing them when I got to the last layer of glass.  Lots more grinding to do but getting there. other side was mostly blister repair, two smaller delaminations and the hook ground and filled.  As for the pad there were a few bad gouges that were well into the glass that were filled.  All in all this thing was trash. I included a picture of one of the rear corners showing a blister that was previously broke out and filled with silicone. I chased the blister which ended up being pretty large. 

'80 Intimidator
'85 CV23

Offline Plugcheck

• Donate members
« Reply #47 on: June 12, 2019, 09:18:03 AM »
Looks like a fair amount of progress.   Never figured out how the majority of the osmotic blisters occur on the strakes, and the bottom mostly.  I found a few on the sides of the strakes, but mostly the horizontal surface.   Is your plan to have this project completed this season?
Michael
1979 CVZ-18 388 CI Vortec Mouse
1980 CVX-16SS 140 Mercruiser
1979 CVX-16 Johnson 175
2002 Bennington 2275CC 90 Mercury
1985 Intimidator project
1989 Lowe 200 Redneck fishin Toon
2001 Godfrey Sweetwater pontoon 115 Rude

Offline Hyperacme

• Administrator
« Reply #48 on: June 12, 2019, 02:53:14 PM »
Good progress Tim ..
Man that corner is messed up !

Offline Project cv23

« Reply #49 on: June 18, 2019, 01:58:57 PM »
New member here picking up one in a couple of days, do you or anyone have template for everything? Thanks in advance and great job moving along fast. I redid a 78 v-194 10yrs ago and now I’m upgrading...

Offline fireman24mn

« Reply #50 on: October 31, 2019, 11:14:33 AM »
Tim brought up his boat t me in August to get painted. I was hoping to have it done before the meet. Well some if it was done but it will be finished today.

Picture
1 & 2 is body work complete fixing cracks gouges and blisters. Tim did most of it I just did the final touches.
3 is after primer. Filling all the pin holes and little gouges that were missed with the major body work step.
4 Is after sanding primer and small filled areas, just cleanup and before sealer.
I think this has become an addiction.

1977 CV-23 I/O Full Resto complete
1976 CV-16 V8 Resto in progress
1985 Pearson MotorYacht 43ft

Offline fireman24mn

« Reply #51 on: October 31, 2019, 11:21:09 AM »
1st pic is sealer 2nd pic is the color on.

I will be clearing in a few hours once the base color is dry.

Epoxy primer, epoxy sealer, acrylic enamel w/ hardener, last will be clear coat. This is the same steps I used to paint the hull on my 23 when it was redone. I have about 75 hours on mine now and only have a couple areas the paint has been damaged. I am positive it was from the CGOA meet this year when we went for lunch and had to park on a rocky shore. There was no missing paint prior to the meet this year. I am adding a keel guard this spring to prevent any further damage.
I think this has become an addiction.

1977 CV-23 I/O Full Resto complete
1976 CV-16 V8 Resto in progress
1985 Pearson MotorYacht 43ft

Offline still_fishin

• Donate members
« Reply #52 on: December 06, 2019, 10:27:03 AM »
A lot late here but thanks to a few regulars on here; Shawn, Jim, Joe, Deets, Jess and Kailey for helping get the hull flipped back over and on the trailer. It took me a few more weeks to feel the urge to scramble to get the top side in place before the first snow storm.  There were flurries as we were fighting to get it all lined back up. A quick make shift teepee and an old tarp tied down to the trailer and voila, I bought a few more weeks to finish up a few projects in the garage before it is filled with the 23.

'80 Intimidator
'85 CV23

Offline still_fishin

• Donate members
« Reply #53 on: March 09, 2020, 10:49:53 PM »
I guess it is time for an update........
Hull is foamed about 95% full.  I didn't fill the hip pockets as im planning on using those for subwoofers to gain storage.  The fuel tank i had serviced at Tank Renew is in with new hoses, sender, wiring and a little foam to keep the tank from shifting. The original "hole" that the tank fit into was about 12" longer than the tank so  I added a bulkhead just in front if the tank to utilize that wasted space.  I ended up with an area about 10x25x12. To gain access to it i cut a 4x20" opening in the bulk head in the cuddy. I carpeted that area before i put the floor on to make life more enjoyable. I also added a drain from the cuddy to the bilge with a check valve to stop the reverse from happening.  I'm not a huge fan of blasting huge holes in a brand new floor for a recessed table base but it happened.  I did get incredibly lucky in the fact that there was seam backer and a stringer along two of the edges.  When picking my floor thickness (1/2 or 3/4) i used 1/2". If i had used 3/4 i would have recessed the 1/4" thick base entirely.  Instead i just took the top layer of the plywood off and used loose strand to feather out the elevation differences.  The cockpit was topped off with biax....i think that is what you call it.  The transition is hard to spot. The floor, bilge,  tank void and transom assembly cut out have been gel coated with various gels ive accumulated over the years. Last night i again pulled the cap (three or four times now,  I'm getting pretty good at it) to carpet the storage area ahead of the cuddy, build and install the sub boxes, and trim some of the backer i installed under the swim platform that was stopping the cap from seating. Today the cap went back on. It fits better  but the backer for the swim platform could be sanded down in a few spots. While im working that area i plan to make a new larger tow eye backer as well as transom to cap supports to mitigate flexing in that area. I should only have to raise the back area to get the tool in there to get the clearance i need. I plan to run most the accessory wiring before i carpet so i can hide them under the rub rail backer but still have access if need be. As for the seam for the hull to cap i am thinking I'll be using Volkem to help keep the water out. Sorry for the single paragraph, i don't care enough to break it up. 

« Last Edit: March 09, 2020, 10:56:50 PM by still_fishin »
'80 Intimidator
'85 CV23

Offline thedeuceman

• Administrator
« Reply #54 on: March 10, 2020, 09:36:15 AM »
That looks fantastic Tim...
And I do agree that punctuation is just a waste of time ;-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Joe
75 GT150 "SeaDeuced"... Its Back !!
92 16CSS "Attitude Adjustment" is for sale
75 CV-16V8, Project
74 CV-16... its Purple !

Offline dorelse

• Administrator
« Reply #55 on: March 10, 2020, 10:00:43 AM »
looks great!
1990 Sierra 1700

Offline Hyperacme

• Administrator
« Reply #56 on: March 10, 2020, 10:12:14 AM »
That's a huge job Tim !
Great progress .. Warm weather sure helps ..

Offline 75starflight

« Reply #57 on: March 10, 2020, 10:13:03 AM »
Looks great Tim!
1975 v-179 starflite

Offline thedeuceman

• Administrator
« Reply #58 on: March 11, 2020, 12:37:51 PM »
Tim, what did you use for check valves in your drain pipe?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Joe
75 GT150 "SeaDeuced"... Its Back !!
92 16CSS "Attitude Adjustment" is for sale
75 CV-16V8, Project
74 CV-16... its Purple !

Offline Hyperacme

• Administrator
« Reply #59 on: March 11, 2020, 01:35:23 PM »
Work GREAT !
Never a problem !