Author Topic: Plastic fuel tanks...  (Read 8885 times)

Offline Hot Carl

Plastic fuel tanks...
« on: August 31, 2010, 11:03:32 AM »
After getting towed home on Sunday for the first (and hopefully last!) time this summer, it's time I get serious about replacing the fuel tank, which has been terrorizing me all season. This past weekend debris built up so densely on the walls of the in-carb fuel filter it completely cut off the fuel supply. You wouldn't believe the amount of debris that I find in my filters...it's like the inside of the tank is made of sand and rust.

So where's the best, and preferably wallet-friendly, place to buy a plastic, replacement tank for our Glastrons? I'm going to run an auxillary tank for the remainder of the season and will be yanking the original the second I get the boat out of the water. I know someone gave me a link when I first joined the forum, but that's long gone...

Thanks again for all the help...
My name is not "Carl"

1980 CV23

Offline dorelse

• Administrator
Re: Plastic fuel tanks...
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2010, 11:24:47 AM »
Well, if it makes you feel any better...even though I had the tank in the CVZ-18 tested before I made the decision to keep it in...your struggles have changed my mind and I'll be cutting floor access and putting in a new plastic tank.

Pam & Jimmy's CVZ-18 had full floor access to the tank from the factory, so that's kind of convinced me that I'll want that as well.

Misery loves company I guess.  Will you have to cut into the floor?  Or do you have easy access to the tank?

1990 Sierra 1700

Offline Hotwired

• The Ship
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2010, 11:54:58 AM »
Here is an aluminum tank MFG I found ... looks reasonable for an aluminum tank.

http://www.rodnreel.com/dmarine/alum.htm

some poly tanks.

http://search.gandermountain.com/?cname=Below-Deck-Fuel-Tanks&Ne=1000&N=2295

http://www.wholesalemarine.com/c/22000901/Below+Deck+Fuel+Tanks.html

I put one of the above floor tanks in my CV-21 a few years ago.

http://www.gandermountain.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?pdesc=Moeller_25_Gallon_Marine_Fuel_Tank_18_03W_47L_7_5D&i=39537&r=view&aID=506N2&cID=GSHOP_39537

I do not remember where I got it from though but this looks like it.
.. it is what it is ... and that is how it should be!
Miss Mayberry - 1964 Saberflite
The Ship - 1979 CV-27
Canon Ball Eyes - 1976 CV-16ssV8
Da ProJect Bote - 1977 CV-23
It Is What It Is...... CVX20

Offline CVX Fever

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2010, 12:11:34 PM »
Orange Fever - You could look into cleaning it first. Should be able to get a good look at the inside once it is out of the boat. If the tank is starting to corrode/flake anywhere then absolutely replace. But if it can be cleaned, might save you money and then everything fits as it should so installation is simple. Does your boat have an inline water separator filter? If not I'd add one or change the one that is in there after you get the tank issue addressed.
1979 CVX18 "Back in Black"....someday!
1985 CVX18 " Only thing better than 2 CVX18's is 2 girlfriends!

Offline Jason

• Global Moderator
  • 1974 CV16SS, 1986 CV23
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2010, 12:27:33 PM »
Tempo made the orignal tank in my 1974 CV16SS. They now make them in plastic. When I replaced mine it was a DIRECT replacement. I ended up buying it off ebay. or search for the part number you need under google shopping. I think I paid around $160.

http://www.tempoproducts.com/2004/bd_fuel_tanks1.html

The only problem I have had with my was with the float in the tank. The float kind of slid down the rod giving the fuel gauge an inaccurate reading. I am sure this more my fault though as I have given the hull of my boat a pretty good beating. being that your boat is bigger I don't think it does as many "belly flopes" as mine does!
Jason S.
1974 Glastron Carlson CV16SS 140 I/O
1986 Glastron Carlson CV23 260 I/O

Offline Hot Carl

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2010, 12:37:49 PM »
Orange Fever - You could look into cleaning it first. If the tank is starting to corrode/flake anywhere then absolutely replace. But if it can be cleaned, might save you money and then everything fits as it should so installation is simple.

I absolutely agree...I syphoned it once and got a lot of debris out, but I think the rougher waters of Minnetonka have shaken things up/knocked too much rust off. Based off the amount of crap in the fuel/water seperator and the inline filter, I'd say the tank is toast. When I have it out I'll definitetly try and clean it, as installation would be so much easier. IF I do have to go with a new tank, I'd like to get one with the fill tube/sending unit and pick-up in the same locations, but based off the tanks shown in hotwired's links (thanks!), finding such a tank might be tough...as in impossible.

Doran, sorry to hear you're going through the same troubles! The floor of my CV23 was redone at some point (questionable quality) and even with the carpet in place, you can tell the floor is divided up into three major sections. I should be able to just remove the middle section to access the tank, but seeing that the floor was NAILED down instead of screwed in, and is getting a little soft in spots, I'll probably be taking the whole thing out and redoing it. What the hell, I'll already be that far into it...plus if I redo it myself I'll know exactly what I'm standing on, as opposed to falling through... ;D

My name is not "Carl"

1980 CV23

Offline Hot Carl

« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2010, 12:44:42 PM »
Tempo made the orignal tank in my 1974 CV16SS. They now make them in plastic. When I replaced mine it was a DIRECT replacement. I ended up buying it off ebay. or search for the part number you need under google shopping. I think I paid around $160.

http://www.tempoproducts.com/2004/bd_fuel_tanks1.html

Thanks man! #640056 on the second page is as close to identical as I'll probably get. There's hope after all...
My name is not "Carl"

1980 CV23

Offline Hotwired

• The Ship
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2010, 01:16:02 PM »
As far as cleaning the original tank .. tried that. There is a coating inside the tempo tanks that once it starts coming off it is a real headache.  Might be on all tanks, might not be.  Cleaning the tank seemed to take off most of the rest of that coating but then the tank rusted quickly. Made an even bigger mess.  I cut it up and threw it out. The new plastic tank has been trouble free.
The Ship - 1979 CV-27

Offline Tom

• 87 CV23, 66 Jetflight, 89 Supra, 05 Tahoe pontoon
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2010, 11:26:15 PM »
That Tempo #640056 will leave you 14 gallons short!!  Yes you should be able to open the center floor section seperately if you need to.  It is three pieces.  When you are finished get some of the green(waterproof) bondo and just level it over the seams.  Don't need to sand.  Apply carpeting and now you won't see those seems in the wood!
Every day is a great day at the lake!

Offline Rosscoe

« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2010, 06:42:46 PM »
Personally, I'd go plastic as well especially under the floor. If you cant get the exact same thing, maybe 2 of equal size?
Check Overtons too.
http://search.overtons.com/?D=gas%20tanks&Nty=1&N=0&Dk=0&Ntt=gas%20tanks
Ross
61 Surflite 1964 90HP Johnson project
67 V163 Bayflite Super Sport  1989 100HP Merc
67 V164 Bayflite 120HP
67 V174 Crestflite Rat Rod
71 V175 Crestflite 350ci -Jet
73 GT 160
84 CVX 17  83 115 Merc
88 CVX-23 350 Mag

Offline Hotwired

• The Ship
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2010, 06:46:27 PM »
I think this is like the one I got.  do you know how wide your tank is?  This one fit where my old one was under the rear seat of my CV-21.

http://www.gandermountain.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?i=39537&pdesc=Moeller_25_Gallon_Marine_Fuel_Tank_18_03W_47L_7_5D&aID=506N2&merchID=4006

Gander Mountain has a lot of different tanks.
The Ship - 1979 CV-27

Offline Hot Carl

« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2010, 10:26:41 PM »
Thanks for the suggestions guys...I don't know the exact specifications of the original tank yet, but am definitely set on a plastic tank. I'll take some measurements (or make some educated guesses) this weekend and start shopping around more seriously. Thanks again for the ideas and links...this forum never disappoints!
My name is not "Carl"

1980 CV23