Author Topic: Grrrrrrr ...  (Read 5129 times)

Offline OleRed

• Oklahoma Boating Group
Grrrrrrr ...
« on: September 02, 2010, 07:34:45 PM »
I Hate Oklahome weather .. we just had a Cool Front come through ... yea Right !  70 mph winds small hail and torential rains.  The Scimitar fared just fine,  but the cover I bought for the Scarab just befor I came to Mn. was schreded and got the Scarab all wet ...   thats the Grrrrrr ...that boat has not been in the water since the complete interior was installed ... bigger GRRRRRR........./b]

but  ... Jerry,  I got the GT-160 in the shop before that front came through,  it didn't even get wet.  I'll have it ready when you are ready to come get it ... thats really a Cool boat.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2010, 07:44:49 PM by OleRed »
1980 23ft Scimitar

Offline OleRed

• Oklahoma Boating Group
Re: Grrrrrrr ...
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2010, 07:44:07 PM »
my power just came back on,  I got that digital TV .. and it goes out when the weather is bad ... another Grrrrr ... but I just missed the biggest power outage,  the news says there are 4500 homes with out power just about a half a mile from me ... so it's not All bad.  It is a Lot cooler now ... but my house was cool to begin with !
1980 23ft Scimitar

Offline Jerry

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2010, 08:02:48 PM »
I got the Winner ready for the weekend. New plugs and rotor, adjusted the carb. ran in the tank for 20 minutes. I just hope the motor (or motors) I come up with is worthy of the boat.
My Grrrrr is our Sears washer quit again. They said it was because of the storm last night. This is a replacement for one we had them come out for 12 times before they gave us a new one. This is the second time it's gone out in a year and a half. (I bought the 5 year service contract) they can't come until Tuesday.
'72 Glastron GT160 Sport - Okie-Dokie
'63 Winner - Grandpa's Fisn-Bote
'63 Glasspar SeaFair Sunliner - Mischief Maker

Offline David CVX-16

• Donate members
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2010, 08:07:35 PM »
Sounds like unpredicable weather Red. That cover for the Scarab was not cheap, I am sure. The seats can dry out, but the cover was to prevent that. Ever see the pictures of the boats that are tossed around at sea and end up smashed against each other or on dry land. Why do not people take their boats out with any chance of rough weather. Was driving the car to the Dairy Queen heading north towards the DQ in Forest Lake and noticed scattered hail coming down and headed for cover under some trees, but the hail let up. No car damage. Two beautiful rainbows.   The boat and garden stuff fill the garage and the two cars sit outside. I have an emergency cover for the cars if it hails - a walking tunnel under a road. Better a ticket for illegal parking than hail damage.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2010, 08:12:43 PM by David »
David
87' CVX-16, 85' 115 HP Johnson, 58.8 MPH GPS w/ 23" SRX Prop

Offline OleRed

• Oklahoma Boating Group
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2010, 08:46:20 PM »
Sounds like unpredicable weather Red. That cover for the Scarab was not cheap, . Why do not people take their boats out with any chance of rough weather. .
Where are ya gonna put a 30 ft Scarab when the weather come's in  ?   
The insurance seldom exceeds the coverage of the boat, because they go by the NADA value of the boat, and you and I hoth know a 30ft Scarab is worth more than $3100 bucks,  whadda ya do  ?
1980 23ft Scimitar

Offline Laine73GT160

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2010, 09:23:10 PM »
Hi OleRed
I am new to the Glastron Club and you, from the posts I read are a ledgend.  I had the green 1973GT-160 at the MN event.  I am amassed at how rare the 71-75 GT160?s are, I would love to see any pictures or posts on your 160.  I love my boat and would like to get the other owners together to share stories, photos, and restoration tips.

As for the GRRRR?s in life I am trying to stay positive but here is one from today.  My Nabors wolf (yes wolf) came in to my yard and bites me, no puncher or blood; just enough to tell me it was the toughest dog on the block. Well In my yard I have another opinion.  But now I have to explain why my government issue 45 was on my side as I worked in my yard today.  Nosy old ladies in town are more trouble than the wolf.
The wolf is back on it's chain.
Laine
« Last Edit: September 02, 2010, 09:35:10 PM by Laine73GT160 »

Offline OleRed

• Oklahoma Boating Group
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2010, 10:06:01 PM »
mine is a Long Colt 45, and they All know when they hear that thing it Means nBusiness ... then they start calling their Pets .. LOL
1980 23ft Scimitar

Offline Rosscoe

« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2010, 09:27:06 PM »
Pet wolf? Whats is the point? Get a dog! I love that crap. My neighbors dogs bark at me in MY yard all the time. They told me to shoot in the hinney with a bb gun. Opps, I thought it was a bb gun. ??? Boom!
No, I wouldnt do that. I love most dogs, but a wolf as a pet? Maybe it will chomp some kid (I hope not) and they'll have to get rid of it.

Off topic.....
Anyways that sucks about the cover Red. What kind of wind are you talking? Must have been the same front we had today. Very windy.

Jerry where are you going this weekend?
Ross
61 Surflite 1964 90HP Johnson project
67 V163 Bayflite Super Sport  1989 100HP Merc
67 V164 Bayflite 120HP
67 V174 Crestflite Rat Rod
71 V175 Crestflite 350ci -Jet
73 GT 160
84 CVX 17  83 115 Merc
88 CVX-23 350 Mag

Offline V153

« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2010, 10:17:05 PM »
Yeah that sucks about yer cover Red. High wind can do a number on even the best of them. I wouldn't wish it on anyone but I had the busiest year ever after hurricane Charley hit Port Charlotte. I'd go out to give an estimate & the only thing left of the old canvas would be some of the fasteners. With a lil tuft of material left around 'em.

I know this might fly in the face of convention but if they know a big blow is coming? I advise people to remove the canvas. Imo it's better to have a wet & maybe dirty boat then to have to replace the cover, enclosure, bimini, etc. Jmo.

re Wolf. Humans have no business keeping wild animals. That's the Governments job! Anyway if a neighbors wolf came onto my property and took a nip at me I'm not sure I'd let him leave. Ya I'd arm myself as well. Be ready for the sob next time.

Never ever had a problem with a dog til I was bitten hard by a german shepherd back in early Feb. It was a 'hobbling' sneak attack. He was to my right laying under a picnic table. I walked a couple steps past the table when he shot out & latched onto my left calf. Never saw the sob comin'. Hurt like hell, felt like I'd imagine getting stabbed feels like. Believe I even uttered the "f" word once ...
'81 C500_given away, bought back_75.1 mph
'81 Baja 15SS_140 Frankenrude_66.7 mph
'70 something SpeedCraft_(Allison 16R Clone)_69.0 mph
'79 CVZ19_given away
'71 V153_54.8 mph_wrecked

WALK TALL AND CARRY A BIG BILGE PUMP

Offline Laine73GT160

« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2010, 12:27:15 AM »
I have No problems with wolves.  Long ago I bread then with Siberian huskies for sled dogs.  My GRRRR was boat related.  I was working on my new 12 foot by 28 foot parking spot for my beloved Glastron.
Here is the boat with the 85hp Johnson and as most of you know I now have the 120hp Johnson on the 1973 GT 160 (fun fun, fun).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aUWzel92iQE