Author Topic: Am I right...?  (Read 3354 times)

Offline Hot Carl

Am I right...?
« on: September 06, 2010, 03:57:57 PM »
Soooo I finally rigged up my buddy's portable fuel tank and all of my sputtering/stalling issues are gone! I should've done this...I don't know...in May?! I've never been happier and am relieved that the original tank was the root of the problem(s). However, now I've got an issue with the portable tank. I can cruise all day around 2k RPMS, but once I get above 3k RPM's the primer bulb on the new tanks fuel line will compress and eventually cut off the fuel. I checked the vent - ran the boat with the cap off and it made no difference - so I'm assuming the pickup in this old portable tank is defective? I took it out and it passed the visual inspection - pickup tube is clear, check-valve moves. Could it just be defective? Also, this tank has always been used with a much smaller outboard engine...could the fuel needs of my 350 simply be too much for this setup? I'm assuming if I get rid of the bulb then the fuel line itself will eventually compress...correct?

Any help, as always, would be appreciated! I figure I'll just have to try a different tank for the next month...
My name is not "Carl"

1980 CV23

Offline Jason

• Global Moderator
  • 1974 CV16SS, 1986 CV23
Re: Am I right...?
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2010, 09:57:38 PM »
Try bypassing the primer bulb. You shouldn't need it with that 350. In my derby cars I always use a boat tank and fuel line straight to the engine and never have a problem even with a 460.
Jason S.
1974 Glastron Carlson CV16SS 140 I/O
1986 Glastron Carlson CV23 260 I/O

Offline Hot Carl

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2010, 12:16:23 PM »
Try bypassing the primer bulb. You shouldn't need it with that 350.

That's what I was thinking - the rubber on the bulb is pretty thin and a primer bulb is unneccesary for my set-up anyway. I'll junk the bulb and give my friend a stern talking to for giving me such a sub-par product  ;D

Thanks again for the advice man...
My name is not "Carl"

1980 CV23

Offline Jerry

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2010, 12:20:48 PM »
The fuel line comes in 5/16 and 3/8 Make sure you use the 3/8 hose.
'72 Glastron GT160 Sport - Okie-Dokie
'63 Winner - Grandpa's Fisn-Bote
'63 Glasspar SeaFair Sunliner - Mischief Maker

Offline Hotwired

• The Ship
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2010, 12:31:39 PM »
I assume you are using a standard outboard tank.  You may want to replace the stock hose with a length of standard automotive style gas line.  That 350 is going to pull fuel a lot harder than most outboards!  Also that way when you return the tank some day you can return it with the original line and fittings.
.. it is what it is ... and that is how it should be!
Miss Mayberry - 1964 Saberflite
The Ship - 1979 CV-27
Canon Ball Eyes - 1976 CV-16ssV8
Da ProJect Bote - 1977 CV-23
It Is What It Is...... CVX20