Author Topic: Early CV16 questions ...  (Read 21211 times)

Offline Jason

• Global Moderator
  • 1974 CV16SS, 1986 CV23
Re: Early CV16 questions ...
« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2015, 07:34:57 PM »
Lol.
You explained it perfectly Dave. Once I got in there I thought that was not so bad. Then I tried to get out. Seriously thought I was stuck for a few seconds. Once I finally got out I sat at the wheel and made engine noises wishing for summer.

Yes Gregg, that is the board that goes across as you described.

Dave, I really can't see much up there as mine has a ski locker and gas tank on top of that. I did have to replace the gas tank when I got the boat. Managed to do that with the seats still in the boat.
Jason S.
1974 Glastron Carlson CV16SS 140 I/O
1986 Glastron Carlson CV23 260 I/O

Offline Hyperacme

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: January 03, 2015, 07:41:12 PM »
What are you talking about Dave .. Plenty of room to move around up there ...

Offline Hyperacme

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: January 03, 2015, 07:42:42 PM »
Never saw a tag on mine, might be covered by vinyl ?

Offline Hyperacme

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: January 03, 2015, 08:07:50 PM »

Offline Oldfishguy

• Donate members
« Reply #24 on: January 03, 2015, 08:24:45 PM »
Gregg

I'm afraid your going to have to crawl up into that coffin like Jason and I have done to look for that build date.  :). Yup, curiosity is going to get the best of you.  If you don't post for a week or so we will have to assume your stuck.  I suggest bringing a snack with.

Best of luck.  :)

David

And I've been using the 303 product
1972 1/2 Glastron CV 16
1973 Chrysler 120

Offline Hyperacme

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: January 03, 2015, 08:44:12 PM »
OH YA ...
I've been down there more then once ...
I get back spasm and have to move my legs out straight FAST !
My wife wonders what the blood curdling screaming is out in the garage ...

Take me a minute to get in there and about 15 minutes to get out ...
Worse part is when you grab the wrong tool and have to try to get in and out twice in one day ...

Offline Jerry

« Reply #26 on: January 04, 2015, 12:35:46 AM »
It's the reason you have Grandchildren!

'72 Glastron GT160 Sport - Okie-Dokie
'63 Winner - Grandpa's Fisn-Bote
'63 Glasspar SeaFair Sunliner - Mischief Maker

Offline Mrs.TheDeuceMan

• Donate members
« Reply #27 on: January 26, 2015, 02:10:37 PM »
OH YA ...
Dave ...
Get some Buckeye 2002.
http://www.buckeyeinternational.com/products/specialty/2002/index.html

Or ...

303 Marine & Recreation Aerospace Protectant.
http://www.goldeagle.com/product/303-marine-recreation-aerospace-protectant

Hey, just wanted to say that I contacted Buckeye company and got this response from them:
(I have requested a price list, but haven't received that yet).

Hi Laurie,

You can stop by our warehouse in Hopkins and purchase 2002.  You will have to purchase with a Credit Card as we do not have a store front or cash till.  The address is 5407 Opportunity Court, Hopkins Mn 55343.

Jason King is the General Manager and is in and out of the office all day.  Our warehouse staff member is named Greg and is there M-F 8-2:30.   Either one of them will be able to help you out.  There is a very small chance one of the sales reps could be there at the time of your stop and they could also assist you.

I am glad there is a strong interest and liking of our 2002!  We sell Buckeye products commercially and not for residential use.  This is why it is so hard to find 2002.  We operate through select distribution throughout the US, Canada and the UK.
I hope this helps.
Will
1990 Glastron Futura V249

Offline rayar3

« Reply #28 on: January 26, 2015, 09:39:50 PM »
Kinda off topic, but does anyone know if the 74+ windshields with the lower aluminum trim fit the 73-older CV's? Is the Plexi shield the same?

My windshield isn't cracked, but it's got some waves from over the years and the lower gray trim has seen better days. I know new white trim is available, but I'm thinking if I can sub in a new UPD windshield and the newer style lower aluminum, I'd rather have that. Just a thought. I might try and coax the waves out of my windshield with a heat gun and patience, and that would leave me to dye the white trim gray. All possibilities.
Ray

1973 CV-16

Offline Hyperacme

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: January 27, 2015, 08:10:19 AM »
Thanks Laurie ...
I see you already put it into the "Vendor and Repair Resources" section.

Offline Hyperacme

• Administrator
« Reply #30 on: January 27, 2015, 08:53:46 AM »
Ray
I don't know if it would fit, it might ... Maybe ?
There's a ridge with a flat on the deck that it sits in / on.
The mounting screws slide in channels in aluminum frame, but not sure if it would sit right on deck.
Ed has a line on rubber bottom trim piece, but not sure if it's the gray one ...
I'll ask him ...

Offline Hyperacme

• Administrator
« Reply #31 on: January 28, 2015, 08:37:22 AM »

Offline rayar3

« Reply #32 on: January 28, 2015, 09:20:31 PM »
No ridge on my boat. Might still fit? That white trim is made by Taylor, same company that used to make the original windshields. I already contacted them, no molds anymore...

I've seen that trim for $28 online, I'll have to track it down again
Ray

1973 CV-16

Offline Hyperacme

• Administrator
« Reply #33 on: January 29, 2015, 08:59:56 AM »
After I finish my interior, I'll start on my windshield.
I hate the height, the bar is right in the middle of my vision so I have to look over it or under it.
I'm thinking of lowering it by 3 inches, but not sure if it will fit right into channels.

Ed and I have been discussing the older method of mounting / trim.
Ed's email on gaskets /channels / clips ...

Gregg, here's what I know bout the gasket deal. This comes from tons of research and observation.

The gaskets were made of neoprene, neoprene is an oil based product, that's why it had a gray color. If you read any manual about rebuilding old boat motors, you'll see the word "neoprene" in almost every chapter. Lots of marine stuff was composed of neoprene.  Neoprene is not widely used these days.

Here's what I have learned, through observation, about glastron window gaskets: The only boat I have witnessed that had just a gasket at the bottom (no rail) is my CV...so that is pre '71ish. The '71 GT I had, it had a bottom rail...all GT's had a bottom rail. NOW, with the bottom rail, they used a "slot" channel gasket (gasket slid down over top of lens, protected top/edge of lens and both inner and outer faces/sides..that gasket had the rib locks on the out side, the ribs locked into the aluminum channel)...so somewhere around the end of '70, they started using slot gasket at bottom, but as it was in '70, the upper rail only had a "wedge" ribbed gasket on the outside edge of the window channel...on the inner edge of the aluminum channel, they used a clip (kinda like snake fangs) it had 2 points that gripped the lens when you pushed the top rail down on the lens (i'll have more to say about that in a minute) but somewhere around '73, they started using the slotted gasket in the top rail too. Back to the "snake fangs"...can you see the problem with that?...it pushes on, but it won't pull off without damaging the lens or breaking the clips...so they went slotted gasket top and bottom.

Sooo...this I know: You can get the gray neoprene slotted gaskets for the rails, basically that's the smart way to go, and it does have the same original look...man, you'd never believe how I came to that conclusion/observation....I was looking at the slotted gaskets, and their pattern is so close to that single "wedge" upper gasket..i said to myself, "well that's the exact same design, maybe I just cut it in half and use that as my wedge"...then I remembered about the snake fang thing (because I have to take my top rail off to polish it)...I know the fangs are going to break off the clips. LOL, then all the sudden, it hit my like a sack of hammers...that's why they make the slotted gasket!!

I have the top gasket covered, no prob. I promise you this: you will not find a gray neoprene lower gasket for windows with no rail at the bottom. And then there's another problem..the lenses in the '70/'71ish models, they had 3/16ths thick lenses, then ones with upper and lower slotted channel gaskets had 1/4" thick lenses, that in itself makes it nearly impossible because 3/16ths is not used in the present. all the aluminum channels are the same interior width, they just altered gasket thickness and lens thickness.

And taking my top rail off...you can bet I am going to find/fabricate a tool to slide under them snake fangs to release the grip from the lens!

I have seen just about every method they used on the windows.
My plan...do the Buckeye on lower gasket, get slotted gasket for top rail.

Offline rayar3

« Reply #34 on: January 29, 2015, 05:51:53 PM »
Interesting. I haven't tried to take the metal rail off the top of the windshield, and my gray gasket seems to closely match the white one available now. So where can I find the top gasket if I try to take the windscreen out of the rail? Im assuming Taylor Made? I have thought about a 2-3" lower windshield, too. But want to see if I can traighten out my windshield first. My screen is drilled on the bottom.

Also, found the gaskets for half the price: http://www.jmsonline.net/deck-channel-white-vinyl.htm

Might order a set tonight and I can post a comparison because I saved my old neoprene one.
Ray

1973 CV-16

Offline V153

« Reply #35 on: January 29, 2015, 06:06:11 PM »

Also, found the gaskets for half the price: http://www.jmsonline.net/deck-channel-white-vinyl.htm

Isn't that ironic. I just ordered my power pack from JMS.
'81 C500_given away, bought back_75.1 mph
'81 Baja 15SS_140 Frankenrude_66.7 mph
'70 something SpeedCraft_(Allison 16R Clone)_69.0 mph
'79 CVZ19_given away
'71 V153_54.8 mph_wrecked

WALK TALL AND CARRY A BIG BILGE PUMP

Offline Hyperacme

• Administrator
« Reply #36 on: January 30, 2015, 08:55:11 AM »
Taylor Made Products Deck Channel White Vinyl 110 In TAY-826500
http://www.jmsonline.net/deck-channel-white-vinyl.htm

From Ed ....

" That channel is the same as one in eBay link, however if you look closely, this channel has elongated fastener holes perferated in the back side. "

Offline rayar3

« Reply #37 on: January 30, 2015, 02:10:12 PM »
Here's my original gaskets.

The large one is the bottom and the small is the top that seals the windshield and the channel. I went ahead and bought the one I posted the link of. It looks darn close. I can see how the one you posted would work if it was bent to form the front edge too, though. I may buy both! My windshield has stainless or aluminum tabs that go vertical through the hull into the gasket and then bolted to hold the windshield down. I'd get a pic but the hull is buried under snow.

As for the top gasket, is this the "fangs" you were talking about? Not sure how to remove the windscreen from the channel. I didn't force it today, just pulled the gasket out. I think my windshield will take a polish well and straighten out with a little heat.

In the end I might go a different route, but for $40 it was worth the gamble. I can always throw it back up on ebay.
Ray

1973 CV-16

Offline Hyperacme

• Administrator

Offline rayar3

« Reply #39 on: February 04, 2015, 08:15:46 PM »
Gregg, did you ever get an answer as to how the side trim was attached?

My 73 still has the original side trim on there, and I haven't tackled removing them but from the side they appear to be screwed from the back side. The front trim was definitely screwed from the back along with the dash pad. Those are sittin in my basement along with my growing pile of parts for the resto.

I just got the windshield trim in. It's almost an exact match except for the tail on the back. The old stuff has probably shrunk from age. If one wants to be period correct, trim the tail off and dye/paint the trim gray. My friend's dad had excellent results painting the trim on his vintage VW Beetle because the trim only comes in white or black. It's held up for 15 years and still looks new. He used SEM paint with flex agent for auto trim.

And on a side note...those little tabs are a pain in the butt...my windshield has no intention of coming out of that channel in one piece. Just another side project!
Ray

1973 CV-16