Author Topic: Pilot Light LED conversion  (Read 4189 times)

Offline thedeuceman

• Administrator
Pilot Light LED conversion
« on: November 28, 2012, 02:27:22 PM »
I just wanted to share this in case anyone could use the info, though I'm sure most of you could figure this out on yer own.
Added disclaimer, I'm not so great at manuals or work instructions so please bare with me.
This would most likely be for someone that wanted to retain the original lights that came on their dash, i used part of the dash i swiped from a cobalt and already had the lamps but did not want to deal with one going out in the future. i also wanted them to be brighter.
At first i tried a blue LED thinking it would have a purple look but the red lens filtered out too much light so i ended up using a red LED with a 1k 1/4w resistor to limit the current, normally you would use a 500 ohm for 12 volts but this LED is so bright i decided less current was ok.
This may also work for a lighted switch if you could get it apart without breaking it.
i got the LED's from digi-key, they cost 15 cents, the part number is C503B-RCS-CW0Z0AA1-ND, this one is clear with a 30 degree viewing angle and i sanded the end with 80 grit sand paper in order diffuse the light some (most of the light comes straight out and is super bright, even overpowering) if i were to do it again i would prob order this diffused LED part number C5SMF-RJS-CT0W0BB1-ND (16 cents) may not have to sand that one and would prob go with a 500 ohm resistor
1K resistor RNF14FTD1K00CT-ND, 15 cents
500 ohm resistor (actually 499) RNF14FTD499RCT-ND, 15 cents
first i cut the back off the original pilot light and discarded the old bulb.
then i soldered the resistor and 20ga red and black wires to the LED, i used 20ga wire because i wanted wire that was robust to make outside connections with.
It would be easier to solder 24 or 26ga wire to the resistor and LED, but harder to connect it with spade or fork terminals.
I cut the leads on the LED about 1/8", and stripped the wires the same.
Because these lights were quite short after cutting the backs off, i put the resistor next to the light, this would vary depending on the configuration of you're device.
On the LED, long lead is +, short lead -, there is also a flat on the edge of the LED to indicate -.
I wrapped the resistor lead around the LED + lead and soldered that.
then soldered the wires, black to the LED - lead and red to the resistor, the wires were soldered by tinning the wire end and the lead, then holding them together and heating till the solder flows together, not the best soldering method but 20ga wire is to fat to wrap in that small of a space.
after testing it i held the 2 pieces in my "alligator clip vise thingy" and glued the back with electronic grade RTV 162, but most ant rtv or even hot glue would prob work.
I hope this is helpful to someone.
Joe
75 GT150 "SeaDeuced"... Its Back !!
92 16CSS "Attitude Adjustment" is for sale
75 CV-16V8, Project
74 CV-16... its Purple !

Offline thedeuceman

• Administrator
Re: Pilot Light LED conversion
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2012, 02:28:15 PM »
more pix
Joe