Author Topic: River tips?  (Read 2903 times)

Offline 75kona

River tips?
« on: June 21, 2019, 04:57:16 PM »
Taking my CV23 on the Columbia River in Washington State next weekend was was looking for some tips. I have never operated a boat on the river before. Any advice would be much appreciated!

Offline 75starflight

Re: River tips?
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2019, 05:29:58 PM »
Couple of questions for you.

Is the River channelized?

If so is the channel marked by bouys or way points?

if bouys always remember Red Right Return - When traveling up stream always travel with the Red bouys on your Right.

If way point there will be one way points on both sides of the channel. make sure you always align the bow of your boat with the way point to ensure you are in the channel.

Also, both bouys and way points can both exist on a channel. so you can follow either. but remember the red right return.
1975 v-179 starflite

Offline Plugcheck

• Donate members
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2019, 09:00:09 PM »
I've driven that route Portland to Hinkle numerous times, but never drove a watercraft on the Columbia.  My advice would be to do a little research on the regulations in that area, and consider an app like Navionics to provide some got enabled guidance.   Certain dates/times may favor reduced barge traffic.  Plan your route, do you plan to lock through?  Be prepared, have the safety gear, and plan a safe trip.  Good luck
Michael
1979 CVZ-18 388 CI Vortec Mouse
1980 CVX-16SS 140 Mercruiser
1979 CVX-16 Johnson 175
2002 Bennington 2275CC 90 Mercury
1985 Intimidator project
1989 Lowe 200 Redneck fishin Toon
2001 Godfrey Sweetwater pontoon 115 Rude

Offline 75kona

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2019, 03:34:51 PM »
Couple of questions for you.

Is the River channelized?

If so is the channel marked by bouys or way points?

if bouys always remember Red Right Return - When traveling up stream always travel with the Red bouys on your Right.

If way point there will be one way points on both sides of the channel. make sure you always align the bow of your boat with the way point to ensure you are in the channel.

Also, both bouys and way points can both exist on a channel. so you can follow either. but remember the red right return.

I am so New to boating that I had to research your terminology. Supposedly the river maintains a minimum depth of 14th to allow barges to pass. I have attached a picture of the area. I cannot find anything about bouys but I will be sure to head your advice if I come across them.

Offline 75kona

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2019, 03:38:20 PM »
I've driven that route Portland to Hinkle numerous times, but never drove a watercraft on the Columbia.  My advice would be to do a little research on the regulations in that area, and consider an app like Navionics to provide some got enabled guidance.   Certain dates/times may favor reduced barge traffic.  Plan your route, do you plan to lock through?  Be prepared, have the safety gear, and plan a safe trip.  Good luck

Thanks for the Tip. It appears there is a dam 10 miles or so north of my position and one 20 miles or so south of my position. Neither appear to have locks, so I am confused as to how barge traffic would get through. But perhaps I am missing something.

Offline 75kona

« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2019, 04:23:36 PM »
In my research I can only find Nautical Charts as inland as Richland, which is where the river turns mostly North. They just seem to stop there. I am thinking that the rest of the river is not traveled enough commercially to warrant that information. Thinking I will be good! Thanks guys

Offline Plugcheck

• Donate members
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2019, 06:38:21 PM »
consider an app like Navionics to provide some got enabled guidance. 
.     That was supposed to say GPS enabled.  Those navigation apps will show just where you need to be, and more importantly, where not to be.  The maps are compiled from the government navigation maps, so they are more accurate than the bouys sometimes(barges sometimes move them)
Michael
1979 CVZ-18 388 CI Vortec Mouse
1980 CVX-16SS 140 Mercruiser
1979 CVX-16 Johnson 175
2002 Bennington 2275CC 90 Mercury
1985 Intimidator project
1989 Lowe 200 Redneck fishin Toon
2001 Godfrey Sweetwater pontoon 115 Rude

Offline Jason

• Global Moderator
  • 1974 CV16SS, 1986 CV23
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2019, 06:55:42 AM »
That looks like a huge river. Should be fine. Just know where the shallow spots are as the channel does not always make sense and you can find yourself on a rock pile pretty quick. If you found charts that would be very helpful. Navionics has a great app for your phone with maps.

Looks like it will be a fun ride! Beautiful area.
Jason S.
1974 Glastron Carlson CV16SS 140 I/O
1986 Glastron Carlson CV23 260 I/O

Offline 75kona

« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2019, 10:39:57 AM »
I downloaded that app that was suggested. Wow its detailed! thanks guys

Offline Jason

• Global Moderator
  • 1974 CV16SS, 1986 CV23
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2019, 12:49:49 PM »
Navionics is awesome! You could pretty much navigate your boat using only that if it wasn't for other watercrafts on the water! If there are channel markers on a river it will show those. I used it once renting a boat in the backwaters of Florida and it would even adjust the water levels based on where the tide was at. Would also show arrows in the direction of the tide! it's also nice for logging trips, max speed, total distance, etc. I love it. Have fun!
Jason S.
1974 Glastron Carlson CV16SS 140 I/O
1986 Glastron Carlson CV23 260 I/O