Author Topic: 1977 Glastron Carlson CVX-16  (Read 2856 times)

Offline justderek29

1977 Glastron Carlson CVX-16
« on: April 09, 2018, 04:07:59 PM »
Hello all

I'm new to the forum today.  I've been doing a lot of research on my new toy, a 1977 Glastron Carlson CVX 16.  According to the plate attached to the boat it was built in Annahiem, California.  It has a 1976 Evinrude 135 HP motor attached.  I bought the boat from a friend who had it winterized in 2003 and it hasn't been touched since.  My brother and I have been cleaning it all up.  Replaced the ignition switch because the key was lost, changed out plugs, replaced the impeller and housing, rewired some of it in the battery compartment and rewired the stern light.  I pulled the plugs.  They are like brand new.  I put some lubricant in the cylinders since it has set so long. The engine turns over so it is not locked up.  We haven't put any fuel in it yet.

My question is this...The old owner told me the front tank was good.  It smells of varnish.  What do you recommend using to clean it out?  They had put a reserve tank in beside the battery in the back.  Is it normal to run a plastic cell next to the battery on these boats?  I have a plastic battery box I am going to put the battery in.  Another question I have has to do with a round mechanism under the dash.  If it is turned it acts like a volume/power switch for an old radio.  What would this be for? I'm attaching pictures of the boat.  If you can give me any info I'd appreciate it.   We plan on firing it up this weekend for the first time.  I am super excited.  Any pointers you can give is appreciated.

Offline 75starflight

Re: 1977 Glastron Carlson CVX-16
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2018, 04:17:49 PM »
Welcome!

Nice CVX16,  should clean up well.

I guess I am a bad one to ask on cleaning a fuel tank. My first boat, I just changed the fuel filter and added gas and a battery and fired the engine up. But I have learned since then. I would suggest pulling the tank and washing it out with hot soapy water.

On the Knob, No clue. Could you post some pictures of it please?
1975 v-179 starflite

Offline justderek29

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2018, 04:19:19 PM »
I will take a picture of it when I go to work on it tonight and post it. 

Thanks for the reply

Offline Hyperacme

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2018, 05:35:26 PM »
Welcome to the forum Derek

Remove tank and clean !
Do a Google search for "How to clean old fuel tanks".
Many ways to do it, just pick which works best for you.
Might want to check carbs also, might be same crap in float bowls.
Would guess after ya get it running some or most of your fuel line will be leaking ...

Two cycle motors DO NOT like bad fuel, plugged carbs, water and crap in fuel !

Fuel tanks under your splash well are fine, but YES .. Make sure your battery is in a plastic box, so there no chance of spark from something contacting terminals.

Trace where wires are going from "  round mechanism " ...
Interior light dimmer ?

Offline 84carlson

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2018, 06:06:22 PM »
I would just pull the tank out and replace it, you can get an exact replacement composit tank that slides right in.  Thats what i did with mine....

Offline GCarlover

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2018, 08:00:23 AM »
Welcome to this great forum.  You're going to love that boat.  77 was the first year after the CV 16.  I am at Fremont NE and have a 1980 with a 140 Looper.  I think the tank won't come out without removing the kick panel.  It might have screws under the carpet.  If anyone knows please help.  The first  ones were steel.  Change the sender while you have it out.  They wear out from bouncing.  You can pressure wash it and they also make a tank coating if it looks bad inside.  Make sure the sender gasket is sealed.  I trailered mine with  a cracked gasket ant the fumes were very bad.  Had to air it out.  Looks like you're on the right track to getting it going.