Author Topic: Correct way to hold down the battery  (Read 1919 times)

Offline rmorit01

• Donate members
Correct way to hold down the battery
« on: March 15, 2015, 10:43:43 PM »
Hello,

Working on the battery hold down for my SSV-164 as a small project.  Curious if anyone had pictures of the battery hold downs for an inboard with the mercury 140 just to see differences or similarities to the way mine was setup.

It was originally held in place sitting in the tray shown below with some some plastic covered cable with pinch bolts holding the cable taught to keep the battery in place.  In the picture you can see where the cable would thread through the small eyes and then imagine the ends of the cable being pinched together against the cable.

Note, one of the eyes is on the side and the other 3 are holding down the tray each with two screws going into the floor.

Is this factory?  What kind of battery hold down would be recommended?  Appreciate your input since the plastic coated cable seemed a bit home grown.

Thanks - Bob

Offline Tmstibbe

Re: Correct way to hold down the battery
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2015, 02:37:04 AM »
I would suggest purchasing a plastic battery box and securing the bottom piece to the floor of the boat.    Use 4 substantial wood screws with large flat washers.  Place the battery inside the box, and place the box cover on top and secure the strap to hold the box on top.   My state requires that the battery is secured and the cable ends are covered so as to not allow any potential for sparking.   Fuel fumes and sparks make for explosions and fire.

Offline Jason

• Global Moderator
  • 1974 CV16SS, 1986 CV23
Re: Correct way to hold down the battery
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2015, 09:39:32 AM »
Hello,

Working on the battery hold down for my SSV-164 as a small project.  Curious if anyone had pictures of the battery hold downs for an inboard with the mercury 140 just to see differences or similarities to the way mine was setup.

It was originally held in place sitting in the tray shown below with some some plastic covered cable with pinch bolts holding the cable taught to keep the battery in place.  In the picture you can see where the cable would thread through the small eyes and then imagine the ends of the cable being pinched together against the cable.

Note, one of the eyes is on the side and the other 3 are holding down the tray each with two screws going into the floor.

Is this factory?  What kind of battery hold down would be recommended?  Appreciate your input since the plastic coated cable seemed a bit home grown.

Thanks - Bob

This is factory. My 74 CV16SS with a 140 has the same set up but without the plastic tray. My boat has been driven pretty hard and the battery has never let go. In my demolition derby cars I use threaded rod with a piece of angle iron on top to hold it down. Then then don't even budge!
Jason S.
1974 Glastron Carlson CV16SS 140 I/O
1986 Glastron Carlson CV23 260 I/O