Author Topic: CVX-18 Lowrider  (Read 22968 times)

Offline Shrom CVX-18

CVX-18 Lowrider
« on: July 31, 2011, 02:20:12 PM »
Hey guys, Just wanted to start my own thread that I can just post some pictures of the overall boat. All of my posts that I have are on a certain topic. This is simply to share some of the few pictures/videos that I take over the boating seasons.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2012, 11:28:25 AM by Hyperacme »
79 CVX-18 "Lowrider"

Offline Shrom CVX-18

Re: "Lowrider" Pictures.
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2011, 02:21:45 PM »
More pictures

« Last Edit: June 10, 2012, 01:32:34 PM by Hyperacme »
79 CVX-18 "Lowrider"

Offline Burnin Daylight

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2011, 04:28:27 PM »
Nice looking ride Craig.
1981 INTIMIDATOR  "BURNIN DAYLIGHT"
1984 CV23  "HOT KNOTS"

Offline Jason

• Global Moderator
  • 1974 CV16SS, 1986 CV23
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2011, 09:05:42 PM »
Sure does look like a lowrider when it's next to the dock! Nice boat!
Jason S.
1974 Glastron Carlson CV16SS 140 I/O
1986 Glastron Carlson CV23 260 I/O

Offline MarkS

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2011, 04:40:35 AM »
Lookin' great Shrom!
Mark
1978 SSV-176

Offline Hot Carl

« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2011, 12:12:00 PM »
The boat's lookin' real nice Shrom - even though you've had some problems with it this season, at least it still looks sweet 8)

It's too bad you can't make it to the meet this year! Hope you can make the trek next summer...
My name is not "Carl"

1980 CV23

Offline dorelse

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2011, 02:18:11 PM »
Looking good Shrom!  You'll get her fixed up and running better than ever.
1990 Sierra 1700

Offline Shrom CVX-18

« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2011, 04:22:21 PM »
Thanks guys! My goal is to have all the kinks worked out by the end of the season. This season for me wasn't much pleasure boating, More tinkering then anything. The engine will be pulled again (hopefully for the last time/ for a long time ;D) So that I can paint the engine. I am thinking of going with a orange for the heads and block to match the orange pin stripping. The only thing that is kinda  turning me way from that idea is how hard it will be to keep it clean. But I am planning on getting my problems worked out so that I don't have any oils or grease getting flow around in the engine compartment before I drop the engine back in.
79 CVX-18 "Lowrider"

Offline Shrom CVX-18

« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2011, 06:05:48 PM »
Found a pretty good deal on a Laser II prop 23 pitch. Can't wait to try it out.

« Last Edit: June 10, 2012, 01:34:28 PM by Hyperacme »
79 CVX-18 "Lowrider"

Offline CVX Fever

« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2011, 08:22:54 PM »
That should run real nice on your boat Shrom.
1979 CVX18 "Back in Black"....someday!
1985 CVX18 " Only thing better than 2 CVX18's is 2 girlfriends!

Offline Shrom CVX-18

« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2011, 07:19:06 PM »
Look what I picked up today :)  It will need a few patch jobs on the fiberglass and a good sanding/paint. Sense it doesn't match my boat any ideas on a color to paint it? Later years I'm thinking of re gelling my whole boat the emerald mist green and will of course match the console. but for now I need to come up with a color that will look good. This will be a winter project. Needs a new hinge for the door and I'll have to either put a new lock or make a key for it.

« Last Edit: June 10, 2012, 01:37:38 PM by Hyperacme »
79 CVX-18 "Lowrider"

Offline wexrocks

« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2011, 07:41:27 PM »
Hey, good score! Wonder where you found that...  ;D Bet you got a good deal on it too!  ;)

I'll throw my suggestion out there... maybe find a close match to the hull color (the tan, not the flake) for now. I can give you the contact info for that flake supplier, they had the other flake color matches that we talked about, but I never asked them if they had the match for your color, might be worth a shot.
'79 CVZ-19 "convertible" w/Evinrude 175
'81 Scimitar
'89 CSS-19

Offline Shrom CVX-18

« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2011, 06:44:47 PM »
He gave me heck of a deal Wex!  ;D I like your idea of the color to use for now. And If you could get me that number for paint matches that would be great.. might have to pick out that Green awhile.
79 CVX-18 "Lowrider"

Offline Shrom CVX-18

"Lowrider"
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2012, 11:15:35 AM »
Rather then keep starting new topics, I am going to keep posting on here.

As some of you know I have had many problems with my boat, Just recently I fixed a trim problem. Also but all new bellows and gimble bearing in. This boat is also sporting a 350 rather then the 305.

Now with all that good news, I have some bad. Just yesterday I was getting ready to leave and go for run with Wex out on the river. Decided I would change the oil. Well First I wanted to check the oil level...Oil was milky and the level was way over full!

This could be a result in many different things. Needless to say I am not very happy. Never even had a chance to take it out at all this season. :-[ The engine will be pulled and stripped down. No boating this season with the "Lowrider" When I bought this engine I had plans to pull it out and give it a nice paint job anyway. But was hoping to get a few seasons out of it before I did that. I know it may not be needed to completely strip the engine down, but with all the problems I am having I want to cut no corner and make sure things are correct. Even if that means It sits for a while.

While I am doing the "rebuild" I plan to upgrade in some parts for some more power.  Had thought of a stroker but unsure I want to go that far with it, knowing that the outdrive will not handle much more then it already has. So I plan to go with a mild build. As I do the job I am going to try and do a better at documenting it and taking pictures for everyone to see that is interested. I seem to always learn the hard way, for some reason. I hoping ppl can read up on this and learn from it so they do not have same issues I am having.
79 CVX-18 "Lowrider"

Offline Shrom CVX-18

« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2012, 11:18:14 AM »
Also Is there anyway of changing to Topic from what it is to" CVX-18 Lowrider"? If not that's ok,
79 CVX-18 "Lowrider"

Offline Hyperacme

• Administrator
Re: CVX-18 Lowrider
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2012, 11:24:00 AM »
AAARRRRGGGHHHH ...
That sucks ...
Hope it's a cheap, easy fix ...

Topic changed ...
Can't save your pictures to repost, comes up "unable to view format" ...
You could repost them ...
Many pictures got messed up in the forom update, some I could save and repost others not.

Sorry ...

Offline dorelse

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2012, 01:00:45 PM »
Bummer on the engine Shrom.

Pictures did have some issues when I did the upgrade.  Some formats didn't come across correctly.  Sorry!
1990 Sierra 1700

Offline wexrocks

« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2012, 03:23:29 PM »
I would like to take this opportunity to point out that the motor came with no warranty, written or implied...

On a serious note, very sorry to hear that. I know you've done alot of work on it. While I had a very dissappointing weekend, sounds like you've got it worse. Hopefully it's not a major issue, but unfortunately it means a total teardown to find out.

I'll be busy with mine this week scrambling to get it fixed, but if you decide to tear into it, I can come offer a set of hands and we can have it apart and motor out in no time. Let me know if I can help.
'79 CVZ-19 "convertible" w/Evinrude 175
'81 Scimitar
'89 CSS-19

Offline Shrom CVX-18

« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2012, 04:11:40 PM »
Thanks for changing the topic name! ;D

No worries on the pictures, I'll post them again.

Not sure when I'll get around to the tear down as of now. But if I am in need of help, Wex I'll let you know. Right now I have decided to not rush anything. I have my brothers CV-16 I can always take out ;D or My parents SeaRay. So not like I am totally out of boating for the season. Just not with my proud and joy...Which I guess At this point I don't know whether to be proud of my boat or be ashamed of it. Cant say if its just bad luck or its something I did to it that made this happen..
79 CVX-18 "Lowrider"

Offline Shrom CVX-18

« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2012, 08:05:19 PM »
Guys, till I get around to the engine tear down I want to figure out best cam to get. The carb I have is the edelbrock 600cfm 4brrl along with the performer EPS intake. heads are stock and assuming my block is still good it is bored .040 over. I am not to knowledgeable with cams, So I'm looking for input. Like I said before This will be a mild build, but still want to put down some good numbers to run my boat.
79 CVX-18 "Lowrider"