Author Topic: CVX-18 Lowrider  (Read 22979 times)

Offline carlsoncvx18

• Donate members
Re: CVX-18 Lowrider
« Reply #20 on: June 11, 2012, 08:09:10 PM »
Craig

Some of the best money you can put into your engine is a good set of vortec heads along with a cam.

Call or email comp cams tell them what you what to to they will help you out.

They also sell RHS heads which is what I put on my boat.  Good heavy castings as they will not crack which stock GM heads have a tendency to do.
1987 CVX18.     1968 Glastron alpha sail boat
1977 GT150
1986 CV23
1984 Intimiadator
1981 CV27
1969 V-180 fundeck

Offline Shrom CVX-18

« Reply #21 on: June 13, 2012, 05:10:36 PM »
Craig

Some of the best money you can put into your engine is a good set of vortec heads along with a cam.

Call or email comp cams tell them what you what to to they will help you out.

They also sell RHS heads which is what I put on my boat.  Good heavy castings as they will not crack which stock GM heads have a tendency to do.

We'll see about new heads. Hoping the heads on it are still good. Don't really have the funds for new right now. But if that is the case then, i'll be looking into them.
79 CVX-18 "Lowrider"

Offline Shrom CVX-18

« Reply #22 on: July 01, 2012, 10:17:32 AM »
Started to tear down the engine. Manifolds look to be in good shape.(including intake)  Head gaskets seem like they were sealed good. So I thinking that the problem is either cracked head or heads. or cracked block. I have not yet taken out any of the rotating assembaly yet. So it kinda hard to get a good look at the block yet. Most likely I wll be replacing the block and starting fresh.
This block is bored .040 over already and sould be bored again to make right. But I read that going any more the .040 the cylinder walls are getting pretty thin.

The more I think about this build, I realise that I want to put some better perfoming heads on it.  Because of funds It will not get done as fast, but I think it will be worth the wait. Will also give me time do my research on things.
79 CVX-18 "Lowrider"

Offline Shrom CVX-18

« Reply #23 on: July 05, 2012, 08:30:22 PM »
Taken a little break on my boat. I decided to bring my brothers boat home and work on it. I have the day off tomorrow and plan to take it down to the river for a spin. :)
79 CVX-18 "Lowrider"

Offline wexrocks

« Reply #24 on: July 05, 2012, 09:20:08 PM »
What? No call? No text?

I'll be there tomorrow evening and all weekend... If you're gonna be around, let me know. I'll be prop testing. Good wholesome scary fun!
'79 CVZ-19 "convertible" w/Evinrude 175
'81 Scimitar
'89 CSS-19

Offline Shrom CVX-18

« Reply #25 on: July 13, 2012, 04:51:20 PM »
Well heads and block go into the machine shop to get checked out.  If the heads are good they will be ported and polished to get me just as much power if not better then vortec heads. I still need to choose a cam. I have an extra block to use if this one turns out to be bad. I;m getting kinda exctied. I think I will start the process of making some of the parts look new again.. I want this to be a clean build.
79 CVX-18 "Lowrider"

Offline wexrocks

« Reply #26 on: July 13, 2012, 07:49:32 PM »
No worries Shrom, this guy is a genious, and he stands behind his work anyway, so satisfaction is guaranteed. As far as cams go, he's got some ideas that all depend on what you wanna do, so I think you'll be able to work all that out. I'm hoping there is a simple solution to your issue, so we can get you some extra HP and back on the water soon... I may have sold that boat, but it's nice to get to see it regularly, and you and Morgan are always a pleasure! Hope you guys can make it to the camper this weekend for a cookout and a ride in the CSS!
'79 CVZ-19 "convertible" w/Evinrude 175
'81 Scimitar
'89 CSS-19

Offline Shrom CVX-18

« Reply #27 on: July 19, 2012, 08:05:53 PM »
Heads and block or off to machine shop to be checked out...Wish me luck...Hopefully this doesn't turn into a more expensive project then it needs to be.
Meanwhile I have bead blasted the intake and put a fresh coat of paint on it to preserve the alum. I will do the same to everything that needs it. Oil pan, Timing cover,  Misc. brackets and of course the heads and block will be painted as well once I receive them back. Also will need to clean the engine compartment in the boat, while the engine is out. No better time to do it!  ;D  Amazing how dirty and greasy it gets...
79 CVX-18 "Lowrider"

Offline CVX Fever

« Reply #28 on: July 20, 2012, 11:14:41 AM »
Shrom if it's in the budget you may want to think about bolting an Alpha leg on to your outdrive to handle the torque of the new engine.

1979 CVX18 "Back in Black"....someday!
1985 CVX18 " Only thing better than 2 CVX18's is 2 girlfriends!

Offline Shrom CVX-18

« Reply #29 on: July 22, 2012, 04:09:02 PM »
Shrom if it's in the budget you may want to think about bolting an Alpha leg on to your outdrive to handle the torque of the new engine.

Sorry if this a dumb question... When you say "Alpha leg" are you saying the whole outdrive setup, gimble housing and all?  or  just the outdrive, would that fit right up to my gimble housing? I am a little new to the term "Alpha leg" 

Either way right now with my budget, the engine build will be all I do this summer. Probably run it without a outdrive upgrade and take it easy on it. But i have thought of needing to do that because of the extra power I will be putting down.
I really want to have it all taken care of before next June when I take it on our honeymoon.
79 CVX-18 "Lowrider"

Offline CVX Fever

« Reply #30 on: July 23, 2012, 10:34:02 AM »
Shrom I was referring to just the outdrive that would bolt up to your existing transom/gimble assembly & hydraulic rams. If you ever have issues with your current drive also an option as oppsed to fixing.

Hopefully your boat will run good for you without any major issues you once you get everything done and put back together for a long time. You derserve that.

1979 CVX18 "Back in Black"....someday!
1985 CVX18 " Only thing better than 2 CVX18's is 2 girlfriends!

Offline Shrom CVX-18

« Reply #31 on: July 23, 2012, 07:40:05 PM »
I thought maybe that is what you were saying, But was still unsure. Its good to know that it will bolt up incase i find a deal that I can't pass up ;D That is deff on the list of upgrades in the future. Thank you
79 CVX-18 "Lowrider"

Offline Shrom CVX-18

« Reply #32 on: July 23, 2012, 07:44:03 PM »
Here is a picture of the intake.
79 CVX-18 "Lowrider"

Offline Shrom CVX-18

« Reply #33 on: March 19, 2013, 08:04:35 PM »
 Vary long time sense posted at all on the site. I have poked in every once and a while to see what everyone was up to. But decided to not post because of my lack of time.

Have no real big updates. But got a call yesterday from guy building my engine/ porting&polishing my heads. I should be able to pick everything up this weekend or early next week. He is doing the short block and I'll put together everything else. I'm getting excited to get back to work on the boat. Was hoping to have it in the boat and ready to fire by now...I guess I'm going to be working hard at it along with wedding plans before June 1st. I REALLY want to take it with us on our honeymoon.. But also want to have enough time to test run it on the river a few times to make sure of no problems/tune it. Kinda sad that It will still be the break in period for the trip but owell.  Sorry no pictures of anything yet. 
79 CVX-18 "Lowrider"

Offline Rosscoe

« Reply #34 on: March 20, 2013, 08:53:01 AM »
Craig, what turned up as to the problem with the water in the oil? Block and heads are good I take it?
Ross
61 Surflite 1964 90HP Johnson project
67 V163 Bayflite Super Sport  1989 100HP Merc
67 V164 Bayflite 120HP
67 V174 Crestflite Rat Rod
71 V175 Crestflite 350ci -Jet
73 GT 160
84 CVX 17  83 115 Merc
88 CVX-23 350 Mag

Offline Shrom CVX-18

« Reply #35 on: March 20, 2013, 08:12:16 PM »
Craig, what turned up as to the problem with the water in the oil? Block and heads are good I take it?

Will We looked over the block and it was in need of boring over. But it was going to leave too thin of a wall. So didn't even wast our time checking that. I got another block. The heads were checked and outcome was good on them. So I think it was the block. The manifolds have no sign of cracks  or moister in unwanted areas. Intake is same result. I had some question in the old block that makes me believe that was the problem.

I'm excited to run it this year. I have replaced or rebuild just about everything mechanical on the boat...So if luck is on my side maybe I'll have a good season.. ??? Of course that one thing that wasn't done will probably fail. Honestly I had thought of selling the boat.  But realized that their is no point know that I'm almost replaced everything.  I did come to the conclusion that it will only be maintained from now own after this engine build. I need to just be happy with what I have and stop upgrading, UNLESS something fails, then it needs replaced any way so why not. right? ;)
79 CVX-18 "Lowrider"

Offline Rosscoe

« Reply #36 on: March 21, 2013, 06:31:10 AM »

Will We looked over the block and it was in need of boring over. But it was going to leave too thin of a wall. So didn't even wast our time checking that. I got another block. The heads were checked and outcome was good on them. So I think it was the block. The manifolds have no sign of cracks  or moister in unwanted areas. Intake is same result. I had some question in the old block that makes me believe that was the problem.

I'm excited to run it this year. I have replaced or rebuild just about everything mechanical on the boat...So if luck is on my side maybe I'll have a good season.. ??? Of course that one thing that wasn't done will probably fail. Honestly I had thought of selling the boat.  But realized that their is no point know that I'm almost replaced everything.  I did come to the conclusion that it will only be maintained from now own after this engine build. I need to just be happy with what I have and stop upgrading, UNLESS something fails, then it needs replaced any way so why not. right? ;)

After all the work, it makes sense to keep it. You'll run out of things eventually, right?
Ross
61 Surflite 1964 90HP Johnson project
67 V163 Bayflite Super Sport  1989 100HP Merc
67 V164 Bayflite 120HP
67 V174 Crestflite Rat Rod
71 V175 Crestflite 350ci -Jet
73 GT 160
84 CVX 17  83 115 Merc
88 CVX-23 350 Mag

Offline Shrom CVX-18

« Reply #37 on: March 24, 2013, 07:06:46 AM »
After all the work, it makes sense to keep it. You'll run out of things eventually, right?
[/quote]

Thats for sure haha, But Once I get that last thing replaced I'm sure the process will start all over again... As long as I maintain it hopefully I can keep that from happening  ;D
79 CVX-18 "Lowrider"

Offline Shrom CVX-18

« Reply #38 on: April 12, 2013, 09:10:27 PM »
OK, So I have the engine all together and soon to be ready for installation.  Once started I need to break it in and run it at higher rpm for first 20 min. around 1800rpm. If I remember correctly that is a good Rpm to set the timing at. But question for who might know. Where should the timing be at? I have looked online and have found a lot of different answers. Please for those running mildly built engines 350's could you tell me what you timing is set at? I have the timing tape on the harmonic balancer so should be good to go.

Specs of engine

Bored .030 over
4 brrl 600 cfm carb edlebrock
edlebrock performer intake
Flat top pistons
mild cam
Port&polished heads

79 CVX-18 "Lowrider"

Offline OleRed

• Oklahoma Boating Group
« Reply #39 on: April 12, 2013, 09:33:04 PM »
you can set the timing during break-in at 26 / 28 degrees on your degree tape at that rpm.  depending on what ignition you are running, depends on how you set the idle timing, for instance, there are a couple different modules for the thunderbolt ignition, but look the same, those are what I'm most familiar with, they have different timing advance curves, I run the thunderbolt IV and V systems that have a 20 degree total advance curve on my small blocks, I run a total advance of 32 degrees on good gas, 91 octane w/no ethanol, and 28 degree's running 87 w/wo/ ethanol.  with the thunderbolt I set the idle timing 8 or 10 degrees and 800rpm and a spark plug gap .045 AC plugs
1980 23ft Scimitar