Author Topic: Season ends with another problem...  (Read 9982 times)

Offline Shrom CVX-18

Season ends with another problem...
« on: October 12, 2011, 09:43:29 PM »
Well, Last weekend I went up to the lake for my last outing for this season. I was able to run it twice on Friday, Boat is still not running correctly. When you hear it from back of boat sounds like it is miss firing. Seems to be running rich,Based on the smell.  When I hammer down on it, if falls flat on it face then catches up and goes. When I give it full throttle it loses power. Then when I back off it gains its power back ???

So I wake up the next morning ready to go out for another spin and I get down to the boat, hard to see in the pictures but the water is just over my exhaust tips inside and up to my kick board..My life vest was floating....Ran the bilge got all the water out, had my dad tow me back to the dock and pulled it out. (didn't want to start it till I made sure water didn't get in the oil pan or cylinders). Found were the leak is. I have a hole in my main bellow for the out drive. :( Looks like the work continues.
79 CVX-18 "Lowrider"

Offline dorelse

• Administrator
Re: Season ends with another problem...
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2011, 10:04:49 PM »
Wow Shrom!  Glad it didn't sink!
1990 Sierra 1700

Offline still_fishin

• Donate members
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2011, 01:54:50 AM »
Have the exact same problem with my intimidator. After the first shake down run I pulled the drain plug. What do you know, water on the inside of the boat. How did that get there? PO said mechanically it was good to go. Go were? Good thing we were only out for 45 minutes. I guess it is the least of my worries right now.

God luck with yours Shrom.
'80 Intimidator
'85 CV23

Offline still_fishin

• Donate members
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2011, 01:56:17 AM »
And that is why I put flotation back in my cvx-18!!!
'80 Intimidator
'85 CV23

Offline CVX Fever

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2011, 07:54:46 AM »
Hopefully everything is OK with the motor/drive Shrom. I launched mine without putting the plug in this summer and didn't realize it until I was out in the bay with water creeping in front of the back seat.

My boat won't be put into the water next year w/o an automatic bilge pump. 
1979 CVX18 "Back in Black"....someday!
1985 CVX18 " Only thing better than 2 CVX18's is 2 girlfriends!

Offline Bayflite73

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2011, 10:38:29 AM »
Could it be either the fuel pump or a clogged fuel filter? I've read that that can lead to the hesitation you're having.

Glad it didn't sink on you as well. The first time I ever launched my boat a week after buying it in 2007 I completely forgot that you even needed a plug! Luckily another boater on Lake Elmo said, "Hey buddy! Your boat's sinking!" It was before we had even taken it off the trailer so luckily we just pulled forward and embarrassingly put the plug in!  ::)
Josh Craig
'78 SSV-177
previously owned: '73 V-174 Bayflite

Offline 76bayflite

• Sean P. 1976 V173 1974 CV16
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2011, 11:50:35 AM »
Unfortunately I know boats can take on A LOT of water without sinking, like coming out of the drain hole like a garden hose the drive home and for a another 8 minutes in the driveway.  Doug is probably a good authority on this matter as well.

Offline MarkS

« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2011, 12:04:52 PM »
Unfortunately I know boats can take on A LOT of water without sinking, like coming out of the drain hole like a garden hose
He he, me too!  I refer to it as my "bilge rinsing incident", seemed like it took 20 minutes to drain!   ::)

Sorry to hear about your problems, Shrom.  Had to be most disheartening.  I don't know squat about inboards or outdrives, but between Rich and the rest of the gang I'm sure you'll have her sorted out before spring.
Mark
1978 SSV-176

Offline Jason

• Global Moderator
  • 1974 CV16SS, 1986 CV23
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2011, 12:10:50 PM »
I am pretty sure forgetting the plug or partially sinking our boats has happened to all of us. Hopefully your boat dries out soon!

The fuel problem sounds like maybe a accelerator pump. Not sure if those have idle mixutre screws or not but I had a similar problem on my 2V Rochester and adjusting the idle mixture screws took care of it.
Jason S.
1974 Glastron Carlson CV16SS 140 I/O
1986 Glastron Carlson CV23 260 I/O

Offline dorelse

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2011, 12:58:23 PM »
Shrom - Any idea how old the bellows was? 
1990 Sierra 1700

Offline V153

« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2011, 04:40:12 PM »
Unfortunately I know boats can take on A LOT of water without sinking, like coming out of the drain hole like a garden hose the drive home and for a another 8 minutes in the driveway.  Doug is probably a good authority on this matter as well.
If your fuel tanks are floating around behind you and one of 'ems full, ya know yer in trouble ...

All that remains:
'81 C500_given away, bought back_75.1 mph
'81 Baja 15SS_140 Frankenrude_66.7 mph
'70 something SpeedCraft_(Allison 16R Clone)_69.0 mph
'79 CVZ19_given away
'71 V153_54.8 mph_wrecked

WALK TALL AND CARRY A BIG BILGE PUMP

Offline Shrom CVX-18

« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2011, 04:40:49 PM »
Not sure how old the bellows are. My only guess is they are original. I'll try and take pictures of the process if I think of it at the time.

Lucky for me I got to practice on replacing bellow on my brothers Carlson a few years ago. So I have some what of an idea on how to do it.. All I remember is it was a pain, with all the tight areas. :-/  I too have forgot to put the plug in once, But never got the boat off the trailer (Thank goodness) I'm not really sure on why it is not running correctly so I am open for idea's. I guess I'll have to check my fuel pressure. Make sure that is good. The carb is new and possibly could just be adjusted, but The problem is every time i go out boating everyone just wants to enjoy them selves...which is great but doesn't leave me much time to mess around with the carb adjusting it. Seems like every time I go out just for tuning. I find something else wrong with it that puts my off the water.  :-/
79 CVX-18 "Lowrider"

Offline Shrom CVX-18

« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2011, 04:44:31 PM »
If your fuel tanks are floating around behind you and one of 'ems full, ya know yer in trouble ...

All that remains:

That doesn't look good. ???
79 CVX-18 "Lowrider"

Offline V153

« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2011, 05:06:40 PM »
That doesn't look good. ???
No. Quite bad actually ...
'81 C500_given away, bought back_75.1 mph
'81 Baja 15SS_140 Frankenrude_66.7 mph
'70 something SpeedCraft_(Allison 16R Clone)_69.0 mph
'79 CVZ19_given away
'71 V153_54.8 mph_wrecked

WALK TALL AND CARRY A BIG BILGE PUMP

Offline 84carlson

« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2011, 07:19:05 PM »
Wow, I was feeling bad on my last trip out, but nothing compared to your luck.  While my son was loading the boat the bunk broke in half, not a big issue except the trailer was purchased new last summer...go figure.

However, my wife just got home with our Pacifica and someone backed into the grill and hood, and then left...with a $1000 deductable maybe I'll just buy a lebra...

Offline David CVX-16

• Donate members
« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2011, 08:12:43 PM »
My 2002 Toyota Celica has had bodywork three times. The first time I forget that our other car was in back of it. The other two times my wife sideswiped one side and my son sideswiped the other side. Nothing like keeping it in the family.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2011, 08:14:52 PM by David V-153 »
David
87' CVX-16, 85' 115 HP Johnson, 58.8 MPH GPS w/ 23" SRX Prop

Offline wexrocks

« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2011, 10:08:09 PM »
Shrom,
knowing that the transom was recently replaced on that one, and the fact that service records show that the boat was always an "at whatever cost" example, I think that the bellows may have been replaced at some point, but may have been damaged or improperly installed along the way. Not that it matters now...  Anyway, if you want to replace the bellows I'd be happy to come over and offer a hand, and as far as the motor, if you want to get it out again this year, I'll go out with ya, we'll run it hard for a while and then check the plugs. White is lean, black/wet is rich, and tan will leave us looking at ignition condition, timing, etc... But, nothing beats a pair of ears hanging over the transom listening to it all through the rpm's... But, if you regain power when you lift off the throttle, you are closing the air off and increasing the fuel ratio, leading me to believe that it could be a fuel delivery problem, but, not necessarily. If it blows black smoke under a load, then it's rich... Let's get it out and play!  ;D
'79 CVZ-19 "convertible" w/Evinrude 175
'81 Scimitar
'89 CSS-19

Offline still_fishin

• Donate members
« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2011, 12:41:23 AM »
I may have posted this once before on this same topic. My 18 had the same problem, exact. Ended up being my secondary needles. They were far to restrictive. 0.824 was the dia. Mercruiser service bullitin called for 0.547 dia. I ordered three newsets of progressively smaller needles starting at 0.547. I started at the 0.547, ended up at 0.527. Wow what a difference. Two completely different motors. At $12 a set I couldn't go wrong. this was for a q-jet.If you happened to have the same carb and want to try different needles I could mail you a set I'm not using,  it's worth a shot. Hopefully this helps.

Tim
'80 Intimidator
'85 CV23

Offline Shrom CVX-18

« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2011, 09:38:35 PM »
I may have posted this once before on this same topic. My 18 had the same problem, exact. Ended up being my secondary needles. They were far to restrictive. 0.824 was the dia. Mercruiser service bullitin called for 0.547 dia. I ordered three newsets of progressively smaller needles starting at 0.547. I started at the 0.547, ended up at 0.527. Wow what a difference. Two completely different motors. At $12 a set I couldn't go wrong. this was for a q-jet.If you happened to have the same carb and want to try different needles I could mail you a set I'm not using,  it's worth a shot. Hopefully this helps.

Tim
Thanks, I would take you up on that offer but I have an edlebrock carb on it now. One of these days I'll have it running correct.

Wex,  your probably right Good chance that it may have been replaced at one time. I may have to take you up on the helping offer. Then we might be able to get one more run in before the season is over.
79 CVX-18 "Lowrider"

Offline wexrocks

« Reply #19 on: October 14, 2011, 10:19:48 PM »
Shrom,

I am pretty sure that I will be getting some of the metering rod/spring kits for the Edelbrock's, so I can tune in the 383, so I may be able to offer some pieces to get that thing dialed in just right (if that really is the issue). you know I'll do whatever I can to get my other favorite Carlson on the river running tip-top! any excuse to get out on the water!  ;D
'79 CVZ-19 "convertible" w/Evinrude 175
'81 Scimitar
'89 CSS-19