Author Topic: Summer 2012 Kick-Off update  (Read 19193 times)

Offline WetRaider

Summer 2012 Kick-Off update
« on: January 04, 2012, 12:05:49 PM »
This same message was posted under the National Forum heading "General Discussion," as well as under the Iowa State Chapter forum.

Happy New Year, boaters!
Just an update worthy of sharing:

Friday, June 1. Check-in and Sunset Cruise.
Saturday, June 2. 11 am parade. 12-3 pm beach viewing. We'll be advertising and inviting the public to wade in the water and view the boats, talk to owners and vote on a "viewer's favorite." We'll collect a vote for "member's favorite," too. Saturday evening we'll have a brief award presentation and hand over trophy/plaque and prizes to winner of each category.
Also, from 12-3, I am working with two places to confirm a burger cook-out. Participants in the event will get a free lunch (burger, chips, soda/water), public will be able to purchase the same for approximately $2.50.
Saturday evening we'll do a poker run from the dam to Bridgeview park (approximately 7.5 miles) and have a scattered slow cruise back to the Honey Creek Park area.
Sunday, June 3. Clean-up camp sites, friendly goodbyes.

Lake Rathbun is a U.S. Army Corps of Engineers body of water. In order to advertise the event and hold an "organized boat parade," the Corps of Engineers requires an event permit. I've visited with the Operations Manager and left a description of our planned event - I am expecting to hear back regarding the final cost of the permit. To be prepared, I've secured some local business interest in sponsoring the event with cash donations to pay for the permit. The local/regional newspaper will provide very reduced fee, possibly free, advertising for the event to encourage public attendance.

I've spoken with Iowa's only Glastron dealer and they've expressed interest in bringing one of the new GT 160's. They can't commit this early, but have expressed desire to be included. I suggested they bring something that can get wet so that our members can play with a new toy for a while. Scheel's All Sports has committed to providing a towable/tube to be raffled off. I've got another sporting goods store considering prize packs for the two winners mentioned above. The local Fareway grocery store is assembling "Weekend Camp Out" packages - food, ice, etc. that can be ordered in advance and delivered to the resort and campsite so that members only have to arrive with an empty ice chest. I'm begging the local Shell station to provide a couple 25 gallon barrels of fuel (non-ethanol) ... these would be barrels with a hand-pump for filling portable containers. The Corps of Engineers will not allow those barrels rolled out to the slips to refuel on the water. Last for now, but certainly not least, I've just about got 20 slips donated for Friday & Saturday nights at the resort.

It is my goal to make participation in the event as economical as possible. If you're willing to secure a campsite, rent a room at the resort, drag your boat all the way out here ... I will continue to do my best to secure a free lunch, free slips, anything else to make attending this event worth your effort. I think it could be great PR for the association to encourage public attendance.

Feel free to send me suggestions / comments.
If you didn't get wet, you didn't have fun ~ WetRaider

Dan O'Connor
1979 GT 150 / 1976 Mercury 1150

Offline Jason

• Global Moderator
  • 1974 CV16SS, 1986 CV23
Re: Summer 2012 Kick-Off update
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2012, 12:28:24 PM »
Wow Dan! You have really done your homework! Way to get the community involved too. I've got it on my calendar. We plan to camp at the near by campground at honey creek state park. Hope you can make it to Red Wing come August too.
Jason S.
1974 Glastron Carlson CV16SS 140 I/O
1986 Glastron Carlson CV23 260 I/O

Offline OleRed

• Oklahoma Boating Group
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2012, 06:56:41 PM »
WOW !! ...  Git-er-Done  Dan,  me and the Fox are IN, just let us know when ya need some reservations money, or are you gonna be taking care of that ?  just let us know, we are looking forward to this one.
1980 23ft Scimitar

Offline Bayflite73

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2012, 07:02:04 PM »
Holy COW! Well done Dan!

My 73 Bayflite and I and hopefully the family will be there as well! Looking forward to registration info!
Josh Craig
'78 SSV-177
previously owned: '73 V-174 Bayflite

Offline dorelse

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2012, 08:23:56 PM »
Dan's doing a great job getting this together...trying to pull in as much sponsorship as possible!

For me and mine...we're either going to go the 'rent a camper' route, or *maybe* the lodge/hotel.  The main lodge is the closest to the slips/docks.

IF you have little ones...I'd recommend the lodge only b/c of the indoor water park being in the lodge.  The restaurant & massage rooms are also in the lodge.  The Lodge is beautiful.  If you're RV/Camper camping, I'm hoping they'll put us in the same 'ring' so we're all together as a group!
1990 Sierra 1700

Offline OleRed

• Oklahoma Boating Group
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2012, 07:04:48 AM »
If you're RV/Camper camping, I'm hoping they'll put us in the same 'ring' so we're all together as a group!
Good point Doran, it wouldn't be the same if the group wasn't together, early registration may secure sites together, we plan on driving our old camper van, it's just a one day trip for us.
1980 23ft Scimitar

Offline Burnin Daylight

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2012, 08:33:12 AM »
I'm in for bringing one of the boats and having some great Glastron fun.  Like Red says this is a days drive for us from OKC and makes a great mid way meeting place.  Is there a launch ramp at the Honey Creek Park site?  I have been checking into some cabins that are close to the park and I guess I will need to launch and load each day if that is what I choose to do. 
1981 INTIMIDATOR  "BURNIN DAYLIGHT"
1984 CV23  "HOT KNOTS"

Offline dorelse

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2012, 09:25:13 AM »
I'm in for bringing one of the boats and having some great Glastron fun.  Like Red says this is a days drive for us from OKC and makes a great mid way meeting place.  Is there a launch ramp at the Honey Creek Park site?  I have been checking into some cabins that are close to the park and I guess I will need to launch and load each day if that is what I choose to do. 

Yes, there's a pretty nice & large cement ramp & launch area.  You'll have to be careful though...you'll have to navigate through 'Party Cove' !!!  They might try and flag you down to see Burnin Daylight!

;D
1990 Sierra 1700

Offline WetRaider

« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2012, 11:04:02 AM »
Yes - Doran's right on with the ramp location.  Ramp facilities at the lake are in good shape - most were resurfaced this summer.  The Marina at Buck Creek has a deep water ramp - for those who have a boat that sits high on the trailer. 

I have a conversation going with the group/event coordinator at the lodge and am pretty firmly asking for 1/2 price slips for members staying at the campground & free slips for those who choose to stay at the main lodge.

I'll update more as we get along.  Scheel's provides sponsorship at the individual store level.  The Coralville Lake area Scheel's has offered my choice of either a large tube or other towable, or a cash donation to offset the permit fee.  The Des Moines area store will be sponsoring as well, but has so far not provided anything more specific than "you can count on us to provide you with something."

Dan O'Connor

Offline 75starflight

« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2012, 07:21:23 PM »
Sounds like fun, If I can get the boat back together and the steering fixed before then ???
1975 v-179 starflite

Offline 75starflight

« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2012, 08:26:26 PM »
Hey Dan,

When we call to reserve a room or campsite, do we need to let them know we are with to association?

Was just wondering, and thought the others would like to know.

Brandon
1975 v-179 starflite

Offline Bayflite73

« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2012, 09:29:10 PM »
Just made our reservation for the weekend with the resort! Camping would be fun and the comraderie around the campfire will have to be walked/driven to, but with kiddie along that watermark will be key!

Unless the fam bails that weekend then plans will have to change but I'm in in for sure and can't wait!!
Josh Craig
'78 SSV-177

Offline dorelse

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2012, 01:01:37 PM »
Here's a map of the resort.  The slips are bottom right (East of Lodge), the State Park (for tent camping) is on the bottom left.  There is a ramp right off the RV park that I used last year and worked well.

http://honeycreekresort.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/hcmap_all.pdf

Enlarged View of RV, Cabins & Lodge:
http://honeycreekresort.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/hcmap_enlarged.pdf

« Last Edit: January 06, 2012, 01:05:06 PM by dorelse »
1990 Sierra 1700

Offline WetRaider

« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2012, 03:48:29 PM »
Hey guys ... anyone calling to make a reservation should ask for Liz Jordan.  She and I have been in commutation and I just faxed her the proposed Event Schedule.
I've asked for RV & Campsites to be blocked.  Rooms in the resort will not be blocked.  I'm currently trying to negotiate a % discount for members attending the event.

To those of you who have made reservations already, I'll discuss with Liz how to ensure any discount or grouping includes you as well.

Thanks for the energy, guys. 

Dan O'Connor

Offline 84carlson

« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2012, 07:08:41 PM »
Great work

I'm planning on attending the meet, its only about 4 hours from Lincoln Nebraska.  I plan to make my reservations next month, not sure if we will stay through Sunday but Friday and Saturday for sure...

Looking forward to meeting everyone, will be bringing our our cvx 16 that has been in the family 28 years... maybe I can negotiate a ride for my wife in the Scimitar so I can conveince her we need one...

Joe 

Offline OleRed

• Oklahoma Boating Group
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2012, 12:10:51 AM »
I can assure you a scimitar ride Joe, and Guess What ?  I know where there is one For Sale ,, and ready to go, at the moment
                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_MQOnVzH6U&list=UUtQBV22aaMEAj9c9NQaTIQA&index=1&feature=plcp
1980 23ft Scimitar

Offline 84carlson

« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2012, 02:24:57 PM »
Red

1 kid in college, one going in 2 years, one in middle school..I'm going to have to keep dreaming for a few more years...but ya never know...

Joe

Offline WetRaider

« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2012, 01:54:18 PM »
Lodging & Slips News:
Just received an e-mail from the groups coordinator at Honey Creek.  Without a guaranteed attendance, they're hesitant to block big quantities, but here's what we get from Honey Creek so far.  (To those of you who have posted you are awaiting more info, or have already made reservations, this update is coming to you as a private message, also.)

They have blocked 10 rooms in the main lodge and priced the CGOA members at $119 per night, plus tax.  As soon as we've filled the ten rooms, they'll check availability and open more.
They will offer five slips at half price - $12.50 per day.
RV sites are $45.00 per day, please ask to be located near other CGOA sites - just to be sure.
The Grille & Lounge will provide coupons for a free appetizer with purchase of two entrees.
Each room & RV Site rental will come with 4 daily passes to the on-site, in-door Pirate's Cove water park.

When you call to make reservations, please identify yourself as attending the "Run On Rathbun" weekend to make sure you get the discount.  If you've already got reservations, please call back and simply request the Run On Rathbun rate.

Thanks for the excitement. 

Dan O'Connor

Offline Bayflite73

« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2012, 02:06:03 PM »
Well done Dan!

I made my reservations for the lodge (camping would be great but my boys are a little too young yet) a couple weeks ago. I'll have to call them tonight on my evening commute!
Josh Craig
'78 SSV-177

Offline Burnin Daylight

« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2012, 04:31:55 PM »
Gosh am I confused.  I've been looking at maps of the area and I am seeing that there is a Honey Creek State Park Resort and a Honey Creek State Park with campgrounds.  Where is ground zero for the meet to take place? Are the activities mentioned such as the public viewing of the boats and etc taking place at the State Park or at the Resort or some other beach?  Is the Resort for lodge rooms, RVs and cabins only or is there tent camping there or only in the State Park itself?  If we camp in the State Park will we be able to be together as a group and will we be able to rent boat slips from the resort?  Sorry for all the questions, but I have a 500 mile drive one way and I just want to be clear on the camping/lodging/activities/etc... before I make my decisions on where to stay. 
1981 INTIMIDATOR  "BURNIN DAYLIGHT"
1984 CV23  "HOT KNOTS"