Author Topic: Anyone else work on their boats today?  (Read 26715 times)

Offline Tonka Jim

• Donate members
  • 1977 SSV 176 1989 CV 23
Re: Anyone else work on their boats today?
« Reply #40 on: March 30, 2012, 02:22:27 PM »

LOOKING GOOD JEFF  :o
1977 SSV-176 / '85 115 Merc. - Mine
1989  CV 23 / 350 - 270hp - Kelly's
1968 V-174 / '73 140 I/O - Gifted to Son
1971 Seaking 14' / 1958 Evenrude 7.5 - Gifted to Grandson

Offline Bayflite73

« Reply #41 on: March 30, 2012, 02:41:55 PM »
No room in the garage for the whole boat but I think I'm going to pull the drivers front/back lounge seat this weekend and start working on reupholstering.
Josh Craig
'78 SSV-177
previously owned: '73 V-174 Bayflite

Offline 76bayflite

• Sean P. 1976 V173 1974 CV16
« Reply #42 on: March 31, 2012, 12:45:14 AM »
Josh, might actually be cheaper to buy new seats.  Those style lounge seats are pretty easy to find might save you time/hassle too.

Offline Bayflite73

« Reply #43 on: March 31, 2012, 06:36:52 AM »
Sean, good point. The best I've found is about $180 per lounge seat which is pretty good, but don't seem to be the right style to keep it original. Of course the wood for the seats is pretty bad too so once the boxes are built and the seats are reupolstered maybe $180 and not quite original wouldn't be a bad thing. If I replace one I'll replace all so that takes it out of the budget this year what with kitchen floor issues, new gutters, etc. Probably just sew up the rips the best I can for now!

I know we've had the discussion on updating or pure original. Probably doesn't matter as long as it's not too modern!
« Last Edit: March 31, 2012, 06:50:10 AM by Bayflite73 »
Josh Craig
'78 SSV-177

Offline Hyperacme

• Administrator
« Reply #44 on: March 31, 2012, 07:09:27 AM »
That's a tuff call Josh ...
Are your seat bases bad ?  or just the seat cushions bottoms ?
Are the rear jump seats bad ?
Steve said the green was still available, but would need extra work to sew in lines.
Dave had a local guy do his, you could get an estimate on redoing the old ones .

Offline Retro Performance

« Reply #45 on: March 31, 2012, 07:40:36 AM »
The seats, center console and aft pad for the Challenger were upholstered by one of Toms nieghbors.........she does a lot of car stuff I think. I liked it because it is Black vinyl with orange metelflake inserts (I was looking for that old hot rod look). I think I have her contact information if anyone is interested.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2012, 07:42:17 AM by Retro Performance »

Offline Bayflite73

« Reply #46 on: March 31, 2012, 08:39:46 AM »
The boxes aren't falling apart or separating from the floor or anything, they're solid, but they've definately been wet too many times for too long in her 39 years. The wood isn't moldy but is a little soft. The cushions are fine except for the drivers seat which is toast.

Staples are rusty and some have pulled out but I've restapled those already.

The jump seats are fine. I've toyed with the idea of just buying the vinyl and doing it myself, but the lines would be hard!
Josh Craig
'78 SSV-177

Offline Hyperacme

• Administrator
« Reply #47 on: March 31, 2012, 09:22:51 AM »
On my old V-156 (same seats and bottom boxes as your boat) were held to floor by angled peices of alum.,  the bottom of boxes were tapered some, as when I took them out and set them on garage floor they did not sit flat.
The wood on bottom of driver seat was starting to rot by one hinge.
My CV seat boxes are same design but have angled cut outs because of hull/floor angles.
If you redo vinyl on seats, and you can find a color that comes very close it might not look right as other seats and trim pieces could have faded over the years.

Marine Grade Vinyl Fabric - Yachtsman Pleated Marine Vinyl
http://www.allvinylfabrics.com/Marine-Grade-Vinyl-Fabric/Pleated-Vinyl-Fabric-Collection/18.aspx
http://www.allvinylfabrics.com/Marine-Grade-Vinyl-Fabric/Yachtsman-Pleated-Marine-Vinyl/Parakeet-Vinyl/695.aspx

Great lakes Skipper

http://greatlakesskipper.com/category-1/14_94_917-boat-upholstery-pleated.html

« Last Edit: March 31, 2012, 09:40:31 AM by Hyperacme »

Offline 75starflight

« Reply #48 on: March 31, 2012, 09:42:13 AM »
Josh,
I just ordered new seats from veada mfg, seems to have alot more vinyl than what their web site shows. Sent them a few pics of the boat and found a exact match, but there will not be any pleated vinyl. It cost me around $850 for new lounge and jump seats but they take some time to ship. Mine won't ship until April 17th.
1975 v-179 starflite

Offline Bayflite73

« Reply #49 on: March 31, 2012, 12:28:43 PM »
Brandon, good to know about veada. I saw their website this morning, but didn't stay too long as it didn't look like they would have the right colors. I'll check them out again.

Gregg: Thanks for the heads up about the seat bottoms. Mine are head on the same way. I rethought the plan as while I wish I had $800 bucks to work with I really have like $50! I think I'll take the drivers side lounge off but leave the box on the floor, take the vinyl off in one big peice, stitch the rips back together adding some sort of strengthening fabric to the underside so I'm not just relying on really old vinyl to hold the stitches together, then I'll put the peices back together. Sure you'll see the stitching and all, but it's better than plastic and foam!
Josh Craig
'78 SSV-177

Offline Hyperacme

• Administrator
« Reply #50 on: March 31, 2012, 12:41:10 PM »
" I wish I had $800 bucks to work with I really have like $50!  "

HA HA ... I'm in the same boat as you ....

Your idea would be the best cost wise solution.

Offline Bayflite73

« Reply #51 on: March 31, 2012, 01:12:01 PM »
 ;)
Josh Craig
'78 SSV-177

Offline WetRaider

« Reply #52 on: March 31, 2012, 06:20:52 PM »
Finally got to do my tear down ... complete interior removed, rub rail off, wiring disconnected in appropriate places, ready to lift off the deck ...

Rear bench was built in three pieces with enough 2x4 lumber to build a small shed.  The PO must have been really heavy-handed ... 1/3 of the screws holding this thing together were stripped and had to be drilled out.

All my wiring and new switch and main battery disconnect have arrived, so I can get busy.  I'll post pictures of the mess I uncovered - I could swear the PO left all the wires from the donor boat attached to the harness and he added his own ... he even used speaker wire (and there is no audio on the boat, save for the sound of the Mercury behind me).
If you didn't get wet, you didn't have fun ~ WetRaider

Dan O'Connor
1979 GT 150 / 1976 Mercury 1150

Offline Bayflite73

« Reply #53 on: March 31, 2012, 06:22:54 PM »
Yikes Dan! You never know what you're in for until after the project starts right?
Josh Craig
'78 SSV-177

Offline WetRaider

« Reply #54 on: March 31, 2012, 07:49:15 PM »
I knew it would be a mess ... I had a lot of trouble trying to isolate some tach trouble when I got the boat.  No telling, yet, where that speaker wire is connected on each end.  There were cut wires just hanging out.  Mixes and matches of heat shrink tubing, electrical tape, liquid electrical tape, and crimp-on butt connectors.  There are wires labeled "common ground" with terminals on the end, but not connected to anything, just limp.

The smoldering fire at the end of last season I assumed was connected to my ignition switch because when I cut the key to shut off the motor, the motor just kept running.  Key removed completely, still going.  I had to remove the fuel line to shut her down.  You can see in the photos one of the wires heated up along its whole length and melted off it's own insulation, and some of the neighboring insulation, and some of the damn split loom, too.

Dan O'Connor

Offline Jason

• Global Moderator
  • 1974 CV16SS, 1986 CV23
« Reply #55 on: March 31, 2012, 08:45:06 PM »
Reminds me of the old wiring on the V172. I don't think was tampered with since 1967 but when I had to put in the new ignition switch for the 150 I had to pull the old key. Check out the wiring on this!! I surprised I never had ha problem with it.
Jason S.
1974 Glastron Carlson CV16SS 140 I/O
1986 Glastron Carlson CV23 260 I/O

Offline WetRaider

« Reply #56 on: March 31, 2012, 10:19:12 PM »
Oh, man.  That's a bit worse than what I discovered under the cowling last summer.  I redid the internal wire harness ... the external appears somewhat new, at least not original, but there's no plugs at the control box, so everything is hard wired.  I just bought a ton of new wire, I'm going to snip the boat side wire harness after it enters the splash well and run all new wiring.  Had to go with orange wire instead of the factory "salmon," but I should be able to solder everything in and have a nice, clean, loomed & bundled harness.

Dan O'Connor

Offline 75starflight

« Reply #57 on: March 31, 2012, 10:38:54 PM »
Holly cow Dan, I am amazed that you did not have smoke rolling with that much insulation melted. :o

Josh and Gregg, trust me I am really in the same position as you guys are buget wise. The only way I could afford those seats was to save all winter.

1975 v-179 starflite

Offline 84carlson

« Reply #58 on: April 15, 2012, 08:16:29 PM »
Did a little more work on the interior had the seats upholstered and installed them this weekend, got new buttons, hard to find shops that do those any more.  Trying to get it ready for Iowa next month, still want to do a little work on the engine and test a used prop that I purchased on Craigslist but the to do list is getting shorter.

Joe

Offline 75starflight

« Reply #59 on: April 15, 2012, 08:44:51 PM »
Its looking good Joe, I have a long ways to go to catch up with you at this point, in getting ready for Iowa. If only mother nature will give me a brake with the wind so I can tie up some odds and ends(ladder mount board and foam box on left side.

Brandon
1975 v-179 starflite