Author Topic: Does anyone know this boat, where it is and who Eric is?  (Read 24324 times)

Offline wexrocks

Re: Does anyone know this boat, where it is and who Eric is?
« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2013, 07:51:46 PM »
The picture of the convertible on the first page... that's original to the boat. The interior obviously isn't, but the flake is a perfect match, it has the interior "bumper" on the inside edge, and original latches. If it isn't original to that boat, then it was pulled from one with exactly the same amount of hours in the sun, with all the original hardware, and for it to look that good, then the rest of the boat would have looked that good as well, which would lead me to believe they would not have "parted" it out.

Beautiful boat, for sure!

You'd have to see the cover in person to realize the complex curves involved. Believe me, I pondered it for many hours staring at my boat from all angles, and I was pretty convinced I could do it too. But when I got my hands on an original for my CVZ-19, I realized I couldn't have done it. Not to discourage anyone by any means, I just think you'd agree if you knew what was involved. Best bet is to mold an original, that's if any of the few and the proud will let you!  ;) The thing is, it's like a kit car of a rare original muscle/sports car (to a much lesser degree, of course) someone could mold it and sell them at a good profit, but, the more people have them, the less desireable/interesting it is... catch 22. I probably have a different perspective, because I no longer own one, and already did, but I understand the appreciation.
'79 CVZ-19 "convertible" w/Evinrude 175
'81 Scimitar
'89 CSS-19

Offline 75starflight

« Reply #21 on: April 18, 2013, 08:12:15 PM »
I agree with you Wex,  it is better to have the original so it makes it one of a few. I plan on looking for one for the time being.

But, if I do fabricate one for Fawkes, I can guarantee that another will not be produced.
1975 v-179 starflite

Offline CVZ18Fan

« Reply #22 on: April 18, 2013, 08:19:36 PM »
That it is a good point. I doubt that I will find an original but you never know.

Hey Doran, can I borrow yours to make a mold?? I promise not to hurt it.

Rich

Offline 75starflight

« Reply #23 on: April 18, 2013, 08:21:37 PM »
Good luck with that one Rich, I already tried.
1975 v-179 starflite

Offline wexrocks

« Reply #24 on: April 18, 2013, 08:31:19 PM »
Not to give false hope, but I thought it was impossible to find one, and I found mine and Doran's... so, I proved myself wrong. I spent ALOT of time searching, that's the only advice I can give, and obviously can't guarantee results. Of course, those are two of the four that I know to exist, but, that can't be all of them... can it?
'81 Scimitar
'89 CSS-19

Offline CVX Fever

« Reply #25 on: April 18, 2013, 08:32:18 PM »
Wex what makes you think the interior is not original? I have to agree with you though that the bow piece was probably original to the boat and not something that was fabricated and added later. Both have faded from blue to green in exactly the same way.  That's why the interior is blue because the metalflake on the boat was also blue at one point. Notice also how the solid gelcote color is blue.

1979 CVX18 "Back in Black"....someday!
1985 CVX18 " Only thing better than 2 CVX18's is 2 girlfriends!

Offline wexrocks

« Reply #26 on: April 18, 2013, 08:35:02 PM »
Wex what makes you think the interior is not original? I have to agree with you though that the bow piece was probably original to the boat and not something that was fabricated and added later. Both have faded from blue to green in exactly the same way.  That's why the interior is blue because the metalflake on the boat was also blue at one point.

CVX Fever... Hey! Been a while, I've been busy... look at the base cushion of the rear seat, and the rear deck pads. not original. and the rest of the interior matches color wise, so I assume it was all redone.
'81 Scimitar
'89 CSS-19

Offline CVX Fever

« Reply #27 on: April 18, 2013, 08:40:49 PM »
Good grief, your right how did I miss that. Guess I need to start wearing my glasses more!
1979 CVX18 "Back in Black"....someday!
1985 CVX18 " Only thing better than 2 CVX18's is 2 girlfriends!

Offline 75starflight

« Reply #28 on: April 18, 2013, 09:10:35 PM »
Not to give false hope, but I thought it was impossible to find one, and I found mine and Doran's... so, I proved myself wrong. I spent ALOT of time searching, that's the only advice I can give, and obviously can't guarantee results. Of course, those are two of the four that I know to exist, but, that can't be all of them... can it?

I agree with you wex, there has to be more. But sometimes I wonder with only being produced for four years how many actually had the bow cover? It could be as little as 10% of the total production numbers over the four years. In that perspective if only 500 CVZs were produced over that 4 years, then only 50 bow covers would have been produced. That means one per state. Look at Fawkes, out of all the CVZs that have been for sale, how many have you seen with the ski pole option? The only one I know of is Fawkes. So is it a chance in a million to find the parts?  probably, but it is the fun of the hunt that makes it all the more worth it in the end.
1975 v-179 starflite

Offline wexrocks

« Reply #29 on: April 18, 2013, 09:20:59 PM »
Exactly... and I'll be honest, when I got the bow cover for the CVZ, I hugged it. No lie.
'81 Scimitar
'89 CSS-19

Offline CVZ18Fan

« Reply #30 on: April 18, 2013, 09:26:10 PM »
I will continue my hunt without question.

Offline dorelse

• Administrator
Re: Re: Re: Does anyone know this boat, where it is and who Eric is?
« Reply #31 on: April 18, 2013, 09:28:27 PM »
That it is a good point. I doubt that I will find an original but you never know.

Hey Doran, can I borrow yours to make a mold?? I promise not to hurt it.

Rich

I realize I'm going to come off as a massive prick,  so I'm sorry in advance.

I have more invested in that cover than I paid for Goldie,  I  can't let it leave my sight.   We had to buy a whole cvz just to get the cover,  then have the cover shipped from TX to PA to IA...

It's not about denying you guys... its truly not,  it's about protecting my investment,  honoring the time and energy Wex spent finding not one but two, and the uniqueness it gives to a CVZ.   It was expensive and there's a reason I haven't put a interior in the boat yet...

... or the stereo I originally wanted,  or the gauges, or the Alpha One upgrade,  and a $29 composite prop... :-D

Sent from my M9300 using Tapatalk 2
1990 Sierra 1700

Offline 75starflight

« Reply #32 on: April 18, 2013, 09:45:45 PM »
Exactly... and I'll be honest, when I got the bow cover for the CVZ, I hugged it. No lie.

You aren't alone in hugging parts, every time I find the needed parts for Fawkes and the arrive I am like a little kid on Christmas morning. Heck I paid $200.00 for a ladder just to get the factory boarding ladder hinges with the clips.  And I still need to get the clips for them.
1975 v-179 starflite

Offline wexrocks

« Reply #33 on: April 18, 2013, 10:10:39 PM »

You aren't alone in hugging parts, every time I find the needed parts for Fawkes and the arrive I am like a little kid on Christmas morning. Heck I paid $200.00 for a ladder just to get the factory boarding ladder hinges with the clips.  And I still need to get the clips for them.

Not sure if it's the right pieces, but ShromCVX-18 (good friend of mine) made plastic clips for his boarding ladder on my old CVX-18 that might be the right pieces... just sayin'... might be what you're looking for.
'81 Scimitar
'89 CSS-19

Offline CVZ18Fan

« Reply #34 on: April 18, 2013, 10:39:17 PM »
Doran, I was messin with you man. I wasn't serious about using yours for a mold. It's all good man.

Offline wexrocks

« Reply #35 on: April 18, 2013, 10:57:00 PM »
Doran, I was messin with you man. I wasn't serious about using yours for a mold. It's all good man.

No! Don't let him off that easy! He's a "massive prick"!  ;D

J/K... Doran is a good friend... that's why he has that bow cover...

Seriously, a good example of why this meaningless hunk of fiberglass means so much... Search, hunt, find, enjoy.
'81 Scimitar
'89 CSS-19

Offline Tom

• 87 CV23, 66 Jetflight, 89 Supra, 05 Tahoe pontoon
« Reply #36 on: April 18, 2013, 11:19:20 PM »
I am still trying to remember, but I think Eric was from Cambridge and I do remember him making that cover, but no more than that.  I had a blue/blue 79 CVZ that I sold in the metro area that I put the factory ski pole in with a 228 Mercruiser.  Don't know what happened to it as it was sold again.  Also keep in mind, these were the only open bow sport boats of that time.  Most people buying them probably would not spend the extra money to cover up what they wanted the boat for, open bow! ???
Every day is a great day at the lake!

Offline dorelse

• Administrator
« Reply #37 on: April 18, 2013, 11:28:49 PM »
Whew!

I don't like not sharing with my fellow convertible captains...
1990 Sierra 1700

Offline dorelse

• Administrator
« Reply #38 on: April 18, 2013, 11:30:20 PM »
I am still trying to remember, but I think Eric was from Cambridge and I do remember him making that cover, but no more than that.  I had a blue/blue 79 CVZ that I sold in the metro area that I put the factory ski pole in with a 228 Mercruiser.  Don't know what happened to it as it was sold again.  Also keep in mind, these were the only open bow sport boats of that time.  Most people buying them probably would not spend the extra money to cover up what they wanted the boat for, open bow! ???

Well, that HAS to be the CVZ-18 that just sold a few weeks ago then...but it didn't have the bow cover listed (or pictured) in the ad ...
1990 Sierra 1700

Offline CVZ18Fan

« Reply #39 on: April 19, 2013, 06:14:25 AM »
Do you have the ad saved for the sale of the boat??