Author Topic: Does anyone know this boat, where it is and who Eric is?  (Read 24325 times)

Offline wexrocks

Re: Does anyone know this boat, where it is and who Eric is?
« Reply #60 on: April 19, 2013, 09:23:49 PM »
Ok, I'll try not to be too wordy. First, I spent ALOT of time searching. I used jaxed, which no longer works, but the google "site" search works good too (I can explain if needed). I combed through every "glastron" ad, every "glasstron" ad, every "glass tron", "gaston", "carlson", "clarson", "carson"... you get the idea. Any possible bad spelling you can think of that some yahoo might type in, and any keyword that someone might use to describe something that they have no clue about. Good example, I found my Intimidator in an ad for a motor and outdrive that came with a free "Gaston Clarson" hull. I investigated... Intimidator! Anyway... much, much searching. Many hours. First cover I found was in TX. In a horribly spelled ad for a parts boat. Cover was not shown, but I saw the hinges on the bow. Called, they had the cover to the side, said they thought it would block the view of parts people might want. WHAT? After about a week of calls and messages (pulling my hair out the whole time, thinking SOMETHING was gonna go wrong) it was FINALLY on a truck headed to me. I'm giving the short story... it was STRESSFUL! Probably took a few years off my life. Second one came from another horribly advertised pair of "parts" CVZ's... don't even remember what he thought they were, but I remember that he had NO idea what kind of boats they were. There were no pictures, so it was a shot in the dark, but I contacted him, and asked if there was a bow cover... Yup. Negotiated a price, and got him to take it for shipping. Aside from actually finding one, my advice is to not make too big a deal of it's importance. If they realize they've got something, it may end up on ebay, bidding against all your fellow members! Not that I encourage ripping someone off, but if a seller sets a price and you pay it, that's a square deal in my book. I don't have the time to devote to searching anymore. Maybe I've missed none, maybe I've missed five... who knows! I just had to let it go. I've had quite a few Carlsons, as many as five at once, and it IS a sickness! But, not a bad one, just other things to do right now. The Scimitar is my focus. It will get done, in between other projects. Anyway, that's how I did it, that's my story, and I'm stickin' to it. No prices revealed... that's for you and the seller to figure out... pay what it's worth to you... OR... what it's worth to keep someone else from getting it!  ;D

Doran gets the lucky dog pass on his cover ;D. Two reasons... good friend, and good guy. That goes a long way with me. Plus, I think he likes it some!
'79 CVZ-19 "convertible" w/Evinrude 175
'81 Scimitar
'89 CSS-19

Offline dorelse

• Administrator
Re: Re: Does anyone know this boat, where it is and who Eric is?
« Reply #61 on: April 19, 2013, 09:35:11 PM »
I love my cover,  I just don't want to rub it in peoples faces,  I absolutely love it.   If I ever had to sell the boat,  and that's not likely, I'd keep the cover... it will never leave my side.

Sent from my M9300 using Tapatalk 2
1990 Sierra 1700

Offline wexrocks

Re: Re: Does anyone know this boat, where it is and who Eric is?
« Reply #62 on: April 19, 2013, 09:48:30 PM »
I love my cover,  I just don't want to rub it in peoples faces,  I absolutely love it.   If I ever had to sell the boat,  and that's not likely, I'd keep the cover... it will never leave my side.

Heh,heh,heh... that's my boy!  ;D

Aside from him being a great guy, I knew Doran would appreciate having it, and would respect it (as much as a flat chunk of fiberglass should be respected... ok, that sounds kinda dumb). So, he got it at $0 profit to me... hmmm... bad business decision on my part!  ;D
'81 Scimitar
'89 CSS-19

Offline CVZ18Fan

« Reply #63 on: April 20, 2013, 05:01:40 AM »
So if someone on here happens to stumble upon one in the future, what is the pecking order on here to even be considered as the new owner??

How many CVZ owners are on here that would be fighting over the "I found a bow cover, who wants it" conversation? All hypothetical but just wondering.

Rich

Offline 75starflight

« Reply #64 on: April 20, 2013, 08:42:49 AM »
First come first get. I am an owner of a CVZ, but I haven't even started on the restoration of that boat yet. My theory is if I find one I find one, If I don't I don't. But If I do find one to match your color You will be the first one I contact. I would rather not ruin one that is an original match to some one else's boat by having it re-geld to match mine.
1975 v-179 starflite

Offline CVZ18Fan

« Reply #65 on: April 20, 2013, 08:58:17 AM »
I appreciate that. Keep in mind, I am doing a full color change, it could be painted pink with house paint with a bad brush and I would be just fine with it. LOL.

Rich

Offline Glastronjohn18

• project in progress
« Reply #66 on: April 20, 2013, 09:25:45 AM »
pay what it's worth to you... OR... what it's worth to keep someone else from getting it!  Grin

Good words of advice from a wise man. Been there...Done that!
John
'80 CVX 18 - Survivor Class
'78 CVX 18
'76 V 225 -   Bal Harbor
'80 V195XL
'86 CVX 18- And '86 Makes 3

Offline CVZ18Fan

« Reply #67 on: April 20, 2013, 07:40:03 PM »
I agree with his tactics, have found some crazy good deals on items that were spelled wrong.

Offline WetRaider

« Reply #68 on: April 20, 2013, 09:43:24 PM »
There's an online clothing retailer ... nastygirl.com ... trendy, rocker chick type clothes.  Girl got her start by looking up high-end brands like Givenchy, Yves St. Laurent, etc., but only with the misspellings.  She figured if someone couldn't spell something like correctly right, they probably didn't really know it's value.  She bought an Yves St. Laurent dress for $80, cleaned it, put it on a model and photographed it, sold it on Ebay for $1,000.  That one dress started a business that grosses in the millions now ...
If you didn't get wet, you didn't have fun ~ WetRaider

Dan O'Connor
1979 GT 150 / 1976 Mercury 1150

Offline CVZ18Fan

« Reply #69 on: April 20, 2013, 09:49:03 PM »
Just talked to a kid in TX with a blue 79 CVZ for sale. No cover but didn't know anything about the boat. I told him about the CVZ, how few were out there, urged him to keep it because he wasn't sure if was wanted to sell or not. I made sure to tell him about both of the websites and invited him to visit and join. By the way, he spelled Glastron wrong, Glasstron. No cover but maybe we have a new member...who knows.

Rich

Offline wexrocks

« Reply #70 on: April 20, 2013, 10:23:33 PM »
There are lots of potential members out there...people who ended up with these classics by some odd or dumb luck situation, and have no idea that there is a large group of us that hold them so dear, and are searching/appreciating them at all times. Of course, the flip side of that is the ones who do a little research, find out they are desireable, and try to put a $10k price tag on a 70's or 80's boat in fair shape. And my favorite... the ones who list any Glastron ever made as a "James Bond" boat. That never gets old!  ;D But yes, I have also encouraged numerous people I've come into contact with over the years of involvement with these boats to come join the group. I do tend to "filter" those who I feel might not be a good fit, if you know what I mean.

Good example... when I sold my CVX-18, it went to a local who already had an appreciation for Glastron/Carlson's, as he owned a CV-16 OB. He wanted bigger and faster, and was real happy that a CVX-18 turned up locally. He grabbed it pretty quick. Since then, we've become friends, spent alot of time cruising Glastron/Carlson's on the river together, helping each other on projects getting up to the elbow greased up working on the other's boats, hanging out as couples away from boating, calls, texts, emails, and so on. Great guy. He goes by ShromCVX-18 here. Couldn't be happier that he became a member. He's active here and shares/contributes alot to the group. Good example of how reaching out to potential new members can expand the group, and make it that much better for everyone!
'81 Scimitar
'89 CSS-19

Online Hyperacme

• Administrator
« Reply #71 on: April 21, 2013, 08:35:18 AM »
Thanks for sharing your story Steve ...
I've also found G/C's in the "For Sale" section and spelling not even close to Glastron or Carlson.
It takes time just to find boats that are list right, let alone misspellings and wrong category's.
My drop down menu in Search Tempest is about two feet long ... LOL !

I think new owners of G/C's are amazed at the following of theses' boat ...

Offline CVZ18Fan

« Reply #72 on: April 23, 2013, 07:45:27 PM »
Doran, was just noticing you have my cvz as a 79 on your list, it is actually an 80, just want your list to have the right info.

Rich

Offline dorelse

• Administrator
Re: Re: Re: Does anyone know this boat, where it is and who Eric is?
« Reply #73 on: April 23, 2013, 08:50:10 PM »
Doran, was just noticing you have my cvz as a 79 on your list, it is actually an 80, just want your list to have the right info.

Rich

I'll update my list... thx

1990 Sierra 1700

Offline dorelse

• Administrator
« Reply #74 on: May 02, 2013, 09:44:07 AM »
Rich - Assuming this is the CVZ you found? 

$800  Blue/Lt. Blue...probably could be had for $500.

http://dallas.craigslist.org/sdf/boa/3688062653.html
1990 Sierra 1700

Offline OleRed

• Oklahoma Boating Group
« Reply #75 on: May 02, 2013, 10:06:33 AM »
I got bait on that hook
1980 23ft Scimitar

Offline dorelse

• Administrator
« Reply #76 on: May 02, 2013, 10:24:47 AM »
I got bait on that hook

Ok, I'm not sure what that means?  You're buying a CVZ Red?
1990 Sierra 1700

Offline 75starflight

« Reply #77 on: May 02, 2013, 10:46:10 AM »
I am wondering the same.
1975 v-179 starflite

Offline OleRed

• Oklahoma Boating Group
« Reply #78 on: May 02, 2013, 11:15:40 AM »
I've talked to the fellow, come to a price, my buddy is going to check it out Saturday.
1980 23ft Scimitar