Author Topic: Does anyone know this boat, where it is and who Eric is?  (Read 24358 times)

Offline CVZ18Fan

Does anyone know this boat, where it is and who Eric is?
« on: April 18, 2013, 01:05:58 PM »
Was just talking to Mark out in Oklahoma. He sent me all of his project photos from his CVZ18 project. He also included some other pictures. He had some photos of the boat below. I called him immediately to ask him about the convertible cover. He said that a guy by the name of Eric owner it and he thought he was up in the MN area. The interesting thing was he said that he fabricated that cover, it was not an original. Does anyone know who Eric is, where he is and if he still has the mold he used to build this cover??

Would really like to get in touch with him. Please let me know if you have any details.

Rich

Offline 75starflight

Re: Does anyone know this boat, where it is and who Eric is?
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2013, 01:25:55 PM »
I plan on fabricating one for my CVZ18. I don't think it would be all that hard.
1975 v-179 starflite

Offline dorelse

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2013, 01:31:35 PM »
Huh...I don't know of a Mark in OK?  Or his CVZ project.  I knew of Mark Turner's CVZ project, but his seats were a dark green, and didn't have a bow cover at the time.  Is that the Mark you're speaking of?

Honestly, I think if a guy takes his time, a cover could be made, there are some bends etc, but nothing that I would consider a show stopper.

Do you have any more info than that Rich?  A guy with a boat that nice would be part of the club, especially if he's in MN...but I've never heard of one up there.  AFAIK...I'm the closest (to MN) CVZ-18 owner in the club.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2013, 01:34:28 PM by dorelse »
1990 Sierra 1700

Offline dorelse

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2013, 01:36:11 PM »
I try to keep an informal CVZ registry btw...and I don't have that one in my list.
1990 Sierra 1700

Offline CVZ18Fan

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2013, 01:46:23 PM »
Hey Doran, yes that is the Mark I am talking about. The pic I put in this post was not of his, but of this guy named Eric. He said he would continue to look for Eric's contact info and get back to me.

As far as the CVZ registry, how many do you think are out there? How many do you have on your list?

Rich

Offline dorelse

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2013, 02:05:26 PM »
Hey Doran, yes that is the Mark I am talking about. The pic I put in this post was not of his, but of this guy named Eric. He said he would continue to look for Eric's contact info and get back to me.

As far as the CVZ registry, how many do you think are out there? How many do you have on your list?

Rich

Here's what I have...let me know if I'm missing any.  If one shows up on the GOTD thread, I've tried to snag pictures as well, but I don't always remember to do that:

1990 Sierra 1700

Offline dorelse

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2013, 02:10:40 PM »
Had to make 1 correction...HollieMac's is Emerald Mist/Mint not Blue/Lt. Blue...
1990 Sierra 1700

Offline dorelse

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2013, 02:15:29 PM »
And Carl's wasn't on the list...corrected.
1990 Sierra 1700

Offline CVZ18Fan

« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2013, 02:58:37 PM »
If you were to guess, how many:

were made total:
made per production year:
do you think are left out there:

Just wondering, I know you follow then pretty close.

Rich

Offline dorelse

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2013, 03:01:40 PM »

were made total:

Rich

Its tough to guess how many made it out a year in production.  I suppose I can ask Art and see if he remembers.  I've always had the feeling that they just weren't that popular of a model.

I would be surprised if there were more than 50 of each model (CVZ18/19) alive today.  What do you think of that estimate?
1990 Sierra 1700

Offline 75starflight

« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2013, 03:03:29 PM »
Looking through the sales catalogs the CVZ18s were only made for 3 of the 4 years of production. While the CVZ19s were made all four years. I haven't seen to many of the 80 or 81 models listed anywhere for sale. As you can see by Doran's list the only knowns are the 78 and 79 models. Honestly I think the production numbers were kind of low by the amount you see for sale compared to the CVX18s
1975 v-179 starflite

Offline CVX Fever

« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2013, 03:05:58 PM »
Rich I remember that guy from way back when I started posting on the original Classic Glastron board back around 2004. He lives/lived in one of the Twin Cities suburbs. I can say he has never posted on the CGOAMN site to my knowledge. And I don't think he has been active in the national site in a long time.  So it is hard to say if he and/or the boat are still around.
1979 CVX18 "Back in Black"....someday!
1985 CVX18 " Only thing better than 2 CVX18's is 2 girlfriends!

Offline 75starflight

« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2013, 03:07:43 PM »

were made total:

Rich

Its tough to guess how many made it out a year in production.  I suppose I can ask Art and see if he remembers.  I've always had the feeling that they just weren't that popular of a model.

I would be surprised if there were more than 50 of each model (CVZ18/19) alive today.  What do you think of that estimate?

I agree with you on the numbers of what might still be around Doran. They are few in numbers.
1975 v-179 starflite

Offline CVZ18Fan

« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2013, 03:08:59 PM »
Do you get to talk to him?? Would be interesting to see if he has an idea on the numbers. Not sure I have a real good clue on the numbers. I would trust your guess as being as good as any.

So when I get mine finished would it be safe to say I would have the only white and orange one? I can see it in my head and it is awesome!

Offline dorelse

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2013, 03:15:34 PM »
Do you get to talk to him?? Would be interesting to see if he has an idea on the numbers. Not sure I have a real good clue on the numbers. I would trust your guess as being as good as any.

So when I get mine finished would it be safe to say I would have the only white and orange one? I can see it in my head and it is awesome!

I am able to talk to one of his sons, John.  Red put me in touch with him to get Art the digital picture frame, which Art loves.  I try not to pester him with 100's of questions as he's very busy leading a church, but he has expressed interest in sharing what he knows...just needs to find the time.

It may take a couple days, but he's pretty good about responding when he can spare a minute or 2 to do so.

He's hoping to one day share all his information with the club, he just really needs to find the time to do so.
1990 Sierra 1700

Offline CVZ18Fan

« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2013, 03:18:10 PM »
Very Cool!

Offline Hyperacme

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2013, 04:47:21 PM »
" He's hoping to one day share all his information with the club, he just really needs to find the time to do so "

That would be AWESOME !
Can you imagine the 1000's of question we would ask ... Boggles the mind ... 

The picture he shared with us was very cool ...

Offline CVZ18Fan

« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2013, 06:12:17 PM »
That is really you and your family?? What a great picture.

Offline dorelse

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2013, 06:18:15 PM »
That is really you and your family?? What a great picture.

That's the Carlson family.
1990 Sierra 1700

Offline Hyperacme

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2013, 06:24:18 PM »
Picture is from a Carlson sales brochure.
They used Art's kids as models.

Think of all the cool photos he (Art & John) must have ...