Author Topic: PVC Boards for Stringers  (Read 5697 times)

Offline dgmeyer

PVC Boards for Stringers
« on: April 26, 2013, 03:42:03 PM »
I was strolling around Lowes today and stumbled on PVC trim boards.  You can get 1 X 4, 1 X 6, and 1 X 8 in 8', 12', and 16' lengths.   Has anyone ever used these for stringers?   It seems like they would be ideal in terms of never rotting and I also read that the real strength comes from the fiberglass overlayment.  Supposedly, in the old days they would even use cardboard tubes in some places.  I like they idea of being able to get a completely uniform board at these lengths.   I wonder how screws hold in PVC.

Perhaps I am overthinking this because it's not as if my boat will be exposed to prolonged moisture.   I'll use it, drain it, and store it under a roof.

Don

Offline WetRaider

Re: PVC Boards for Stringers
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2013, 04:32:44 PM »
I've looked at those, too. 
I think they're a bit heavier than traditional wood ... and you'd want to make sure that your curing resin doesn't melt the plastic.
As far as the screws, they'd hold just fine.  Some coarse thread stainless deck screws should do well - just don't go heavy on the drill.  You might have to pre-drill your holes, too.

If you didn't get wet, you didn't have fun ~ WetRaider

Dan O'Connor
1979 GT 150 / 1976 Mercury 1150

Offline Hyperacme

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2013, 04:40:35 PM »
" make sure that your curing resin doesn't melt the plastic. "

And make sure resin will stick to it ....
There's composite stuff that's made for glassing but is about twice the price of marine ply ...

Offline V153

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2013, 07:50:14 PM »
They are heavy & it's hard to get anything to stick to em.

If'n ya wanna go with composite material go with Tuff Stuff (below), or Coosa board, or Plascore even.

That pvc stuff is great for soffits'n facias etc at your house. But not for boatbuilding
'81 C500_given away, bought back_75.1 mph
'81 Baja 15SS_140 Frankenrude_66.7 mph
'70 something SpeedCraft_(Allison 16R Clone)_69.0 mph
'79 CVZ19_given away
'71 V153_54.8 mph_wrecked

WALK TALL AND CARRY A BIG BILGE PUMP

Offline CVZ18Fan

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2013, 11:04:33 PM »
I put the same post up last year out of curiosity, they say the resin won't adhere to it properly.

Rich

Offline dgmeyer

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2013, 11:36:11 PM »
Sounds like PVC boards are NOT the way to go.    Thanks for the input.

I'm not seeing fir in any of our lumber yards around here in 12' lengths.   I'm sure I can special order it through a specialty lumber store since I don't need a lot.  I was also thinking of buying yellow pine floor joists - that stuff is tough.    I can cut it down to the 4" height I need and then run it through my planer to make it the desired width.   I'm just hung up on getting something 12' long without a joint and pretty clear wood free of knots.

Offline 75starflight

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2013, 11:55:27 PM »
Sounds like PVC boards are NOT the way to go.    Thanks for the input.

I'm not seeing fir in any of our lumber yards around here in 12' lengths.   I'm sure I can special order it through a specialty lumber store since I don't need a lot.  I was also thinking of buying yellow pine floor joists - that stuff is tough.    I can cut it down to the 4" height I need and then run it through my planer to make it the desired width.   I'm just hung up on getting something 12' long without a joint and pretty clear wood free of knots.

Don,

if you are worried about the length of board use plywood and make your own.

Doing the transom on Phoenix Rising has amazed me at the laminating strength of resin and fiber glass. I have taken 3/4" and 1/2" cabinet grade oak ply that I could bend really easily and turned it rock solid when laminating it together. Just putting in my two cents, but it is an idea of something to look into rather than spending the money for special order lumber that my not be the quality you originally wanted.
1975 v-179 starflite

Offline dorelse

• Administrator
Re: Re: PVC Boards for Stringers
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2013, 12:06:43 AM »
I agree with Brandon!

Sent from my M9300 using Tapatalk 2
1990 Sierra 1700

Offline Jerry

« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2013, 01:15:57 AM »
Cabinet grade is interior plywood, and expensive. Just standard ol exterior plywood works the best.
'72 Glastron GT160 Sport - Okie-Dokie
'63 Winner - Grandpa's Fisn-Bote
'63 Glasspar SeaFair Sunliner - Mischief Maker

Offline carlsoncvx18

• Donate members
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2013, 03:51:45 AM »
Well the next time you are in the mpls/St paul area stop at Youngblood lumber they have straight grain spruce/knot free. I would use it for a spar in a airplane thats is how nice it is.  Not cheap in price though.
1987 CVX18.     1968 Glastron alpha sail boat
1977 GT150
1986 CV23
1984 Intimiadator
1981 CV27
1969 V-180 fundeck

Offline GIL_CV21

« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2013, 07:00:38 AM »
Doug fir is most commonly used as roof rafters in the construction industry and i've seen lengths run over 16 feet . look around , go ask a builder they will point you to a good supply of Doug fir .

Offline dgmeyer

« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2013, 08:14:32 AM »
Thanks for all of the tips.   I'm getting ready to tackle this in three weeks and have been reviewing all of the threads that I have read over the past five months.   As my father always said, "you need to plan your work and then work your plan."