Author Topic: Glastron Carlson CVX 16 stern rails and brackets  (Read 25134 times)

Offline UKMike

• Glastron Carlson CVX16
Glastron Carlson CVX 16 stern rails and brackets
« on: December 10, 2014, 05:37:14 PM »
Hey all,

I'm new to the board so I'm pleased to meet ya! Would someone mind advising where I might get some replacement stern rails and brackets for ma CVX 16 1987 Blue V6 2000L 135, I've looked everywhere but can't find anything anywhere, can't even find any repos. :-(

Would also be interested in finding a read step and wooden strips for the stern.

Br
UKMike

Offline Oldfishguy

• Donate members
Re: Glastron Carlson CVX 16 stern rails and brackets
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2014, 08:33:23 PM »
Welcome.

I hope you can find the trim pieces you need, keep updating a post in the classifieds every couple of months, somebody might find a hull being scrapped out.  You are in the right place though for your best chances of finding the parts. 

I'm assuming your in the UK, where?  So just how fast does that light boat go with that motor?

David

1972 1/2 Glastron CV 16
1973 Chrysler 120

Offline Hyperacme

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2014, 12:07:44 AM »
Welcome to the forum Mike !

Look here ...
http://www.tibus-boote.de/index.html

Watch eBay (USA) for parts and parts boats ...

Do searches on Craigslist using "Searchtempest"  ....
http://www.searchtempest.com/

I search for "glastron  glasstron  Carlson"  ...  see pictures for setting for best results.
Find some one selling a CVX for cheap or parting out and see if he will sell and ship them to you ...

One member is looking for just a CVX hull, if he finds a parts boat he might sell you his.
Another member has a parts boat ... But you would have to contact him to find out if he has ... and is willing to sell and ship parts ...
http://forum.cgoamn.com/index.php?topic=5672.0

Think you can get teak wood strips from any large lumber yard ... Wait till you see the price per foot of teak   ....   $$$$$$ !

Offline UKMike

• Glastron Carlson CVX16
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2014, 01:15:02 AM »
Hi David,

Many thanks and I'm about 50k south of London although I keep her moored down on the South coast near Bournemouth. She has been redone with as much classic and original kit as possible so far and even without some inner panels so she is really light, I've had 62 MPH out of her on a calm day but I'm in the process of refining and refurbing the engine at the moment ready for spring. I will post some pics of her when I get some more time :-)

Thanks for the welcome.

Br
Mike

Offline UKMike

• Glastron Carlson CVX16
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2014, 01:21:58 AM »
Hi Hyperacme,

Many thanks for the links and advice, I was looking through your posts last night and found some very helpful posts, all very much appreciated and I will do as suggested. I have been searching for months now and couldn't find any such links, so it just goes to show that if you get the right forum with the right and best people, it's all possible :-) Thanks again.

Br
Mike

Offline Hyperacme

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2014, 11:25:32 AM »
You could ask a member with a CVX to get some measurements and pictures of there bars and find a local metal fabrication shop to cut and bend aluminum tubing for you.
You would need to find the end cap / deck fittings to mount them.
Most deck stuff was used on more then one model and even on other brands of boats from the same time period.

Maybe some place like Great Lakes Skipper . Overton or West Marine

http://greatlakesskipper.com/

http://www.overtons.com/

http://www.westmarine.com/

« Last Edit: December 11, 2014, 11:43:03 AM by Hyperacme »

Offline UKMike

• Glastron Carlson CVX16
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2014, 12:05:24 PM »
Great, thanks again Gregg I will ask the questions, I already have the bars and the couplings but unfortunately they are in very bad condition as the boat has been used in salt water, she's had a total Paint job but the old fittings have been refitted so I want to renew them so that I get the look and the longevity out of her :-)

Thanks again

Best regards,

Mike
« Last Edit: December 11, 2014, 01:07:15 PM by UKMike »

Offline Hyperacme

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2014, 01:23:51 PM »
The money and time you spend to find used ones and have them shipped might be close to what it will cost to have them made locally.
Plus your getting new, unscratched parts.

We NEED pictures of your CVX !   ... LOL

Offline UKMike

• Glastron Carlson CVX16
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2014, 01:32:35 PM »
 ;) Will have to dig out some more pics from the PC 8)
I have a video at 50MPH on a rough fall day somewhere  ;D
Also just wanted to say that I really appreciate all ya help. I'm a dual citizen as my family came from the great lakes around the Manitoba area so the boats are in the blood :P

Br
Mike
« Last Edit: December 11, 2014, 02:05:51 PM by UKMike »

Offline Jason

• Global Moderator
  • 1974 CV16SS, 1986 CV23
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2014, 02:33:00 PM »
Awesome! Nothing like a little boat on BIG water!
Jason S.
1974 Glastron Carlson CV16SS 140 I/O
1986 Glastron Carlson CV23 260 I/O

Offline dorelse

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2014, 02:55:31 PM »
This is a bit off topic, but my bucket list includes the Falkirk Wheel Lift in...amazing engineering using some really basic principles to accomplish lifting heavy objects with very little force!
1990 Sierra 1700

Offline UKMike

• Glastron Carlson CVX16
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2014, 03:34:08 PM »
Thanks Jason,

And you're right, I love the big water on a hot sunny day, there's nothing more challenging than pushing your baby to her limits, esspecially when you have no control over the outcome. It's a real fine line between pleasure and fear and I respect anyone who can race their pride and joy in such conditions.

It still makes my heart go into overdrive every time I do it :-)

The Carlson is a fantastic design, I love it and I've never had or found a better designed boat.

Br
Mike
« Last Edit: December 11, 2014, 05:10:09 PM by UKMike »

Offline V153

« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2014, 05:39:01 PM »
Boat looks good Mike. Welcome aboard.

Ya I'll bet it chit's n git's with that Black Max. Very cool.

re. Rail fittings: Problem with the originals is they were made outa that crappy 'zamac'. Even if you're lucky enough to find a decent original, remember it's made outa the same stuff.

"Rayar" over on CGOA has machined horn grilles, etc outa aluminum. Thinkin mebbe we should lobby him for some rail mounts?

Running in big open water will definitely increase the pucker factor. My greatest fear with these style boats is stuffing the nose. Gotta keep a flexible hand on the throttle and be able to read the waves?

I routinely ran the 153 through some purty snotty stuff in the Gulf. Fast. Fast meaning 50 or so. But with that hull there was far less risk of nose-diving.

Ya Adrenaline is great! And it's free! Well kinda ...

But I digress.

'81 C500_given away, bought back_75.1 mph
'81 Baja 15SS_140 Frankenrude_66.7 mph
'70 something SpeedCraft_(Allison 16R Clone)_69.0 mph
'79 CVZ19_given away
'71 V153_54.8 mph_wrecked

WALK TALL AND CARRY A BIG BILGE PUMP

Offline UKMike

• Glastron Carlson CVX16
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2014, 06:02:59 PM »
Hey Doug,

Thanks :) Digress?  :P that looks cooler than my Cool-Ice box and OMG how did you not Butt leak.....  LOL

I would have needed to change the carpet after only leaving 3 inches in the surf... OMG OMG OMG... ;D

What prop did you have? I want one  :)

Br Mike

Offline UKMike

• Glastron Carlson CVX16
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2014, 06:05:11 PM »
Hey Gregg,

We don't have the manufacturing capability any more here in the UK, we know you guys do in the states but we find it really difficult or impossible to get basic boat parts reproduced here. It's even more difficult to reproduce OLD (but best) US designed parts, especially when you guys use the wrong measurements! LOL  ;D

We don't have foundry's here anymore really, everything is now imported and it's a darn shame. I grew up using a beautiful burgundy Glastron as my holiday boat 40 odd years ago, and we could always repo parts then, but now the re-engineering and re-design of parts is unachievable effectively.

It's a dying art, which I find upsetting...

So, I need to kit my boat out with the best of "ALL AMERICAN" parts. This way, I honour the designers, builders and the people from all over the world who love the Glastron brand, (Just like me).   ;D

Br
UKMike 
« Last Edit: December 11, 2014, 06:28:02 PM by UKMike »

Offline V153

« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2014, 07:36:38 PM »
Hey Doug,

Thanks :) Digress?  :P that looks cooler than my Cool-Ice box and OMG how did you not Butt leak.....  LOL

I would have needed to change the carpet after only leaving 3 inches in the surf... OMG OMG OMG... ;D

What prop did you have? I want one  :)

Br Mike
Probly running my SRX chopper in that pic. Great prop for bow lift. Obviously ...  But that hull really didn't need much inspiration. It liked to fly the bow. Regardless of prop.

I 'member the first time I saw a pic of it at speed it scared me. I said, "That freakin much is outa the water?!" But I got used to it ...

I'd trade anything to have that boat back. It was bad azz.
'81 C500_given away, bought back_75.1 mph
'81 Baja 15SS_140 Frankenrude_66.7 mph
'70 something SpeedCraft_(Allison 16R Clone)_69.0 mph
'79 CVZ19_given away
'71 V153_54.8 mph_wrecked

WALK TALL AND CARRY A BIG BILGE PUMP

Offline Hyperacme

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2014, 12:05:24 AM »
NICE !

So you have XR2 stickers / cowling on your 135 Merc ...
Pop up cleats are SWEET !

What's the story on the Carlson emblem on the side ?
I've never seen one's like that ...

Maybe Aaron (Carlson_from_Germany) knows of or can help find some one or a company closer to you, that can cut / bend hand rails.
Maybe go with stainless steel ?

Never heard of 'zamac' ...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zamak

Keep an eye on the GCOTD thread for cheap or parts out CVX's ...
http://forum.cgoamn.com/index.php?topic=1077.0

Offline UKMike

• Glastron Carlson CVX16
« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2014, 06:57:05 AM »
Hi Gregg,

Thanks a lot  :D she really is a beauty considering her age.......

Yes the previous owner added them all, she's only had one previous owner from new :-) so she's been looked after well. The emblem was laser cut and specially designed I'm told and it was done to add a little extra, also apparently the previous owner couldn't get the original badges.

I will ask Aaron as the duty we have to pay to import is very expensive, you can add another %45 onto the gross costs of anything we buy from the states, which seems a little unfair as the products are so well made.  >:(

I will add some pics of the engine as soon as I get the chance, she's quite clean for 20+ year old engine, she runs like a dream but going to de-carbonate her before spring. Any suggestions on what chemicals to use? I was looking at the Mercury tuneup powertune as I was told that stuff is amazing.

Br
Mike

« Last Edit: December 12, 2014, 04:09:02 PM by UKMike »

Offline Hyperacme

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2014, 09:24:02 AM »
I use Seafoam (spray) because it's easy to find, but Mercury powertune would work ...

Offline Oldfishguy

• Donate members
« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2014, 09:47:26 AM »

I willowy some pics of the engine as soon as I get the chance, she's quite clean for 20+ year old engine, she runs like a dream but going to de-carbonate her before spring. Any suggestions on what chemicals to use? I was looking at the Mercury tuneup powertune as I was told that stuff is amazing.

I think this is what you want:  Just add a tablespoon or so to every tank of gas.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Yamaha-Ring-Free-Fuel-Additive-12oz-Boat-Outboard-Motor-/131351138847?pt=Boat_Parts_Accessories_Gear&hash=item1e9523521f&vxp=mtr
1972 1/2 Glastron CV 16
1973 Chrysler 120