Author Topic: Pre-Fourth of July Fireworks  (Read 33622 times)

Offline V153

Pre-Fourth of July Fireworks
« on: June 10, 2015, 06:00:34 PM »
It bothers...me.
Soundin a lil dictator-ish there D ...

If David's not offended I see no reason why you should be.

'81 C500_given away, bought back_75.1 mph
'81 Baja 15SS_140 Frankenrude_66.7 mph
'70 something SpeedCraft_(Allison 16R Clone)_69.0 mph
'79 CVZ19_given away
'71 V153_54.8 mph_wrecked

WALK TALL AND CARRY A BIG BILGE PUMP

Offline dorelse

• Administrator
Re: Pre-Fourth of July Fireworks
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2015, 07:01:02 PM »
Those decisions are not up for discussion, Doug.

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk

1990 Sierra 1700

Offline V153

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2015, 07:30:42 PM »
Those decisions are not up for discussion, Doug.
And therein lies a problem ...

I know David. He's a big boy. He can take care of himself.

"Those decisions are not up for discussion!?" Wow!

Perhaps we'd all benefit if'n they were.
'79 CVZ19_given away

Offline V153

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2015, 07:31:19 PM »
Sorry to hijack yer thread Dave!
'79 CVZ19_given away

Offline dorelse

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2015, 07:51:35 PM »
Ok, so I'll take the high road here Doug.  Keep in mind that you only see what's posted on the forums.  I have received no less that 6 complaints via phone calls, texts messages and PM's from folks on the forums complaining about rude posts as of late regarding various posts over the last couple of weeks. (I've never had that many before.)

Including having knowledge of 3 formerly active members who no longer visit our forums b/c of the antics of a few.

I've also received a number of private complaints over the 'afro-engineering' comment you posted...did you hear from me?   Nope, b/c I defended you and your post as a Southern thing (backed up by Urban Dictionary)...not a big deal right?

Gregg and I communicate daily.  What you see posted publicly, isn't all that's going on behind the scenes, please keep that in mind, next time you decide to call me out.  I honestly don't think I deserved that.

So you're right David wasn't offended, others were.  I don't think my phone number's a secret, next time give me a call.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2015, 07:53:10 PM by dorelse »
1990 Sierra 1700

Offline Hyperacme

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2015, 08:22:59 AM »
Doug ...
We have a VERY GOOD thing going here ...
Doran has to walk a tight rope to keep it that way.

When you joined the forum you agreed to our (CGOAMN) rules.

Registration Agreement ...

You agree, through your use of this forum, that you will not post any material which is false, defamatory, inaccurate, abusive, vulgar, hateful, harassing, obscene, profane, sexually oriented, threatening, invasive of a person's privacy, adult material, or otherwise in violation of any International or United States Federal law. You also agree not to post any copyrighted material unless you own the copyright or you have written consent from the owner of the copyrighted material. Spam, flooding, advertisements, chain letters, pyramid schemes, and solicitations are also forbidden on this forum.

Note that it is impossible for the staff or the owners of this forum to confirm the validity of posts. Please remember that we do not actively monitor the posted messages, and as such, are not responsible for the content contained within. We do not warrant the accuracy, completeness, or usefulness of any information presented. The posted messages express the views of the author, and not necessarily the views of this forum, its staff, its subsidiaries, or this forum's owner. Anyone who feels that a posted message is objectionable is encouraged to notify an administrator or moderator of this forum immediately. The staff and the owner of this forum reserve the right to remove objectionable content, within a reasonable time frame, if they determine that removal is necessary. This is a manual process, however, please realize that they may not be able to remove or edit particular messages immediately. This policy applies to member profile information as well.

You remain solely responsible for the content of your posted messages. Furthermore, you agree to indemnify and hold harmless the owners of this forum, any related websites to this forum, its staff, and its subsidiaries. The owners of this forum also reserve the right to reveal your identity (or any other related information collected on this service) in the event of a formal complaint or legal action arising from any situation caused by your use of this forum.

You have the ability, as you register, to choose your username. We advise that you keep the name appropriate. With this user account you are about to register, you agree to never give your password out to another person except an administrator, for your protection and for validity reasons. You also agree to NEVER use another person's account for any reason.  We also HIGHLY recommend you use a complex and unique password for your account, to prevent account theft.

After you register and login to this forum, you will be able to fill out a detailed profile. It is your responsibility to present clean and accurate information. Any information the forum owner or staff determines to be inaccurate or vulgar in nature will be removed, with or without prior notice. Appropriate sanctions may be applicable.

Please note that with each post, your IP address is recorded, in the event that you need to be banned from this forum or your ISP contacted. This will only happen in the event of a major violation of this agreement.

Also note that the software places a cookie, a text file containing bits of information (such as your username and password), in your browser's cache. This is ONLY used to keep you logged in/out. The software does not collect or send any other form of information to your computer.

Nuff said ...
« Last Edit: June 11, 2015, 09:39:52 AM by Hyperacme »

Offline V153

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2015, 06:20:09 PM »
Thanks for the refresher Gregg ...

Might I humbly suggest we try'n take some of the load off Doran by airing complaints/disputes publicly? Why should he have to arbitrate? Isn't that what "Forum" really means?

If someone is honestly offended by my innocent use of the phrase "Afro-Engineering". And thinks there's anything "racist" in that comment? I'd love to hear all about it.

Lighten up a lil D. Nobody "called you out".
'79 CVZ19_given away

Offline David CVX-16

• Donate members
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2015, 07:22:24 PM »
Right now we have Doran, Gregg, and Jason as administers/moderators. I trust these men. They can discuss issues between themselves and make decisions.
David
87' CVX-16, 85' 115 HP Johnson, 58.8 MPH GPS w/ 23" SRX Prop

Offline dorelse

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2015, 12:26:31 AM »
Thanks for the refresher Gregg ...

Might I humbly suggest we try'n take some of the load off Doran by airing complaints/disputes publicly? Why should he have to arbitrate? Isn't that what "Forum" really means?

If someone is honestly offended by my innocent use of the phrase "Afro-Engineering". And thinks there's anything "racist" in that comment? I'd love to hear all about it.

Lighten up a lil D. Nobody "called you out".

Moderators have always, since Brian founded the website, worked in the background to settle disputes and help keep the club a welcoming place for anyone who wants to join.

That isn't always a popular role, but there are folks who just need to vent privately, and others who don't want to discuss that openly.  Gregg, Jason and I are here to help keep the peace.  This model has worked well for 8 years and will continue going forward, but yes, folks are always welcome to discuss any differences they feel comfortable with openly.  Again, that has always been an option.

Some of the 'load' as you put it, was moved off last Fall, with the meet organizers being separated from Gregg and I, to a larger core group of members.

We'll agree to disagree, but you're right, its been a long week.  Time to go boating!
1990 Sierra 1700

Offline Tonka Jim

• Donate members
  • 1977 SSV 176 1989 CV 23
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2015, 02:24:10 PM »
It bothers...me.

After reading this I had to look outside to be sure I still live in a democracy.
There were no military police outside so I decided it was OK to respond to this thread.
If someone is upset by a response to a thread, than that person should complain to an administrator and have the offending post removed.
I’m not interested in belonging to a forum that gives a dictator the right to boot out a member without a majority vote. If you think a member should be blacklisted, than start a thread and ask for votes.
Half dozen members out of 746 does not constitute a majority.   
1977 SSV-176 / '85 115 Merc. - Mine
1989  CV 23 / 350 - 270hp - Kelly's
1968 V-174 / '73 140 I/O - Gifted to Son
1971 Seaking 14' / 1958 Evenrude 7.5 - Gifted to Grandson

Offline V153

« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2015, 05:17:21 PM »
Zactly Jim. A poll.

One example question: "Is Jerry a peckerhead?" Example answer: YES!

Another: "Should he be banished from the forum?" No.

'79 CVZ19_given away

Offline Hyperacme

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2015, 07:29:41 PM »
Since I'm at least 50 percent of the problem ...
I'll resigning as Admin. / Mod. on the forum.

I'm sorry for all the problems I've caused
No hard feeling guy.

Offline V153

« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2015, 08:09:20 PM »
See? Everybody thinks it's about "feelings"!

Screw feelings! It's gonna be a really boring day when we all "feel" the same.

What. Has nobody here ever been "offended"? Lucky you. Hell it happens to me everyday. Just trying to drive to work?

Is this posed to be some kind of safe haven where never an ill word is spoken? [Yawn.]

So called Political Correctness has no place on a forum where the members discuss fast, cool looking boats. Imo ...

'79 CVZ19_given away

Offline Rosscoe

« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2015, 09:07:09 PM »
It bothers...me.

After reading this I had to look outside to be sure I still live in a democracy.
There were no military police outside so I decided it was OK to respond to this thread.
If someone is upset by a response to a thread, than that person should complain to an administrator and have the offending post removed.
I’m not interested in belonging to a forum that gives a dictator the right to boot out a member without a majority vote. If you think a member should be blacklisted, than start a thread and ask for votes.

Well said Jim. I don't know about a poll to vote to kick someone out though. If I saw that about me, I'd just leave. Might anyways.
I don't even know what it was all about but its been bugging me all day and this isn't the first incident that has PO'd me. Last years meet....the communication about what was going on and when, who was involved and who was excluded sucked! Never felt so left out of everything that was going on in my 6 years of attendance. Not any one persons fault. Just saying....
Sorry Dave. More hijacking.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2015, 07:51:59 AM by Rosscoe »
Ross
61 Surflite 1964 90HP Johnson project
67 V163 Bayflite Super Sport  1989 100HP Merc
67 V164 Bayflite 120HP
67 V174 Crestflite Rat Rod
71 V175 Crestflite 350ci -Jet
73 GT 160
84 CVX 17  83 115 Merc
88 CVX-23 350 Mag

Offline dorelse

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2015, 10:00:50 PM »
It bothers...me.

Well said Jim. I don't know about a poll to vote to kick someone out though. If I saw that about me, I'd just leave. Might anyways.
I don't even know what it was all about but its been bugging me all day and this isn't the first incident that has PO'd me. Last years meet....the communication about was was going on and when, who was involved and who was excluded sucked! Never felt so left out of everything that was going on in my 6 years of attendance. Not any one persons fault. Just saying....

I have posted a 'Feedback wanted' thread every year after the meet, please post what you felt left out of so that it can be corrected.  That shouldn't happen.

One change we're making is an Events board posted at the campground so everyone knows exactly what's going on when & where...we all felt that would help.  Seeing how you and Joanie were forced to camp was one of the main reasons for moving to TI...space!
« Last Edit: June 12, 2015, 10:07:45 PM by dorelse »
1990 Sierra 1700

Offline dorelse

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2015, 10:49:42 PM »
Keep the feedback coming, but please keep in mine that you're clearly only hearing one side. 

This could, should, and can be over with a 30 second phone call...however, this was escalated to a level in a series of email's I received that have crossed a line, a line beyond a line.

I'm sorry, and understand completely everyone's perspective on this matter.  I have done my best to keep Brian's original vision of a family friendly forum at the forefront, and I've never claimed to be perfect.

I have had phone calls at work, interrupting supper and during evening walks with my wife and many texts, all within the last 2 weeks, all with complaints and from several different individuals.

At some point folks, there has always been an expectation that we treat each other respectfully correct?  When that expectation isn't met, I simply asked that the individual try to do better and was told that "I am not going to change for you or anybody'...

When that is the response, there are really only 2 options, allow it to continue or hope that the individual realizes that membership is a privilege, not a right...I chose the 2nd option.  (After consulting with multiple members who read the entire email chain...)  There is a long, long body of work that prompted this action, not just within the last couple of weeks.

And for the record...the membership agreement isn't a bunch of words you click 'I agree' on in order to log in (and then get to do or say whatever you want)...we're serious that there are expectations that you're agreeing to, and expected to live by...when that standard isn't met (and its a pretty low bar), one of the mods will quietly and respectfully remind you of it.  Its what you sign up for when you agree to become a mod.

I would also add, that I am not, and (despite the accusations) the club anything...(leader, Pres, including dictator)...I'm simply not, and never have been.  I have tried to fill a void that lacked volunteers.  I am only the website Admin, the club needs a leader, on that we agree.  I believe the website/forum to be separate from the actual club, of which, I'm just a humble member.

As it stands, there is always a resolution to any dispute, but, you cannot say the things that were said and somehow expect that to be ok.

Feel free to continue to comment.  I'll be undergoing some much needed hydro-therapy the next 2 days and will catch up on Monday.
1990 Sierra 1700

Offline Rosscoe

« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2015, 10:53:02 PM »
It bothers...me.

I don't even know what it was all about but its been bugging me all day and this isn't the first incident that has PO'd me. Last years meet....the communication about was was going on and when, who was involved and who was excluded sucked! Never felt so left out of everything that was going on in my 6 years of attendance. Not any one persons fault. Just saying....

I have posted a 'Feedback wanted' thread every year after the meet, please post what you felt left out of so that it can be corrected.  That shouldn't happen.

One change we're making is an Events board posted at the campground so everyone knows exactly what's going on when & where...we all felt that would help.  Seeing how you and Joanie were forced to camp was one of the main reasons for moving to TI...space!

I heard plenty of complaints from others about how we were being squeeze more and more every year by Island Campgrounds. Joni and I would still be back there this year, despite that....or a running boat. Why did you feel it necessary to single us out... like we're complainers? Others had crappier spots than we did. There is no winning in this conversation. It just gets worse. But on a final note on this topic, maybe, as Jim said, why is what is offensive to 1-3 people override hundreds? There is joking and taunting and innocent banter.  Some, everyone might find offensive and some things that might just offend a couple of people. If I was offended, I would either take it up with that person, or blow it off. Not expect an administrator to make that decision for me. I didn't even see the original post that started this session. I find it hard to believe it was THAT offensive that it deserved being banished from the club. Me thinks its on more of a personal level...i.e. I don't like them. Feel free to edit this.
Ross
61 Surflite 1964 90HP Johnson project
67 V163 Bayflite Super Sport  1989 100HP Merc
67 V164 Bayflite 120HP
67 V174 Crestflite Rat Rod
71 V175 Crestflite 350ci -Jet
73 GT 160
84 CVX 17  83 115 Merc
88 CVX-23 350 Mag

Offline dorelse

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2015, 11:00:56 PM »

I heard plenty of complaints from others about how we were being squeeze more and more every year by Island Campgrounds. Joni and I would still be back there this year, despite that....or a running boat. Why did you feel it necessary to single us out... like we're complainers? Others had crappier spots than we did. There is no winning in this conversation. It just gets worse. But on a final note on this topic, maybe, as Jim said, why is what is offensive to 1-3 people override hundreds? There is joking and taunting and innocent banter.  Some, everyone might find offensive and some things that might just offend a couple of people. If I was offended, I would either take it up with that person, or blow it off. Not expect an administrator to make that decision for me. I didn't even see the original post that started this session. I find it hard to believe it was THAT offensive that it deserved being banished from the club. Me thinks its on more of a personal level...i.e. I don't like them. Feel free to edit this.

Whoa, slow down there Ross.  I'm not attempting to single you and Joni out as complainers...I'm only saying that seeing you guys trying to put the tent up in that hilly little corner that was left with that firepit right in front of you was no way to try and enjoy a weekend.  After seeing what you two had to deal with, I made a mental note that we needed to see what other options we had so that everyone had a comfortable flat spot with some elbow room for 2015.

To my knowledge you two deserved the golden trooper award that weekend, and I never heard one complaint from either of you...please go back and re-read my response with that explanation in mind, and if you still think I'm singling you out, I apologize...that was never my intent.

For the record, I was one of the complainers!
« Last Edit: June 12, 2015, 11:03:13 PM by dorelse »
1990 Sierra 1700

Offline Jason

• Global Moderator
  • 1974 CV16SS, 1986 CV23
« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2015, 09:34:56 PM »
Since my name as come up as one of the moderators I want it to be know I have been well out of the loop of what is going on. Maybe because my life has recently got a whole lot busier or also because I lost the password to the CGOAMN email and have not been in there in months (my own fault). Also on that note. I have not seen any of the "long thread" of emails that apparently multiple members have seen. So based solely on the posts i have seen on this forum that everyone has seen I would NOT have banned Jerry. Jerry is a very opinionated person. I may not agree with some of them but i definitely respect his opinion and value having a group with a wide degree of opinions. As far as these opinions being hateful or disrespectful....well......that is purely up to the ready. Just about anyone can be offended by just about anything.

I believe the final comment Jerry got banned on was "half fast Dave". Which I have no idea what that even means so I google searched it. Urban dictionary says: "Doing a job in half the time it takes to do it fast." I don't see what would be offensive about that.....but that's my opinion.

I really hope Jerry has not gotten banned on a personal level.

For the record. I like Manatees.
Jason S.
1974 Glastron Carlson CV16SS 140 I/O
1986 Glastron Carlson CV23 260 I/O

Offline dorelse

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2015, 01:02:53 AM »
Apologies...this is a LONG post:

First:  Jerry IS NOT Banned.  He has been placed in Read-Only mode, if you have been told otherwise, you have been misinformed.  He is able to login and read any and all discussions.  For that status to change he has to agree to meet the following criteria:

- Accept that the forums are not owned or run by Brian, that Gregg and I own them 50/50.  (See our philosophy on 'ownership' below please, its important)

- Commit, via a phone call to me (or Gregg works too) that you will try to do better.  Explain your posts better, the 'one-liners' often come off as rude/insulting/degrading which result in PM's, phone calls & texts with a myriad of complaints.  Explain that in 'your opinion' vs. the outright claim that your way is the only way...(Gregg - is that an accurate summary of your email?)

THAT"S IT FOLKS...that is all it takes...they were laid forth by a number of folks...not just me.  The response to that request was:  "I'm not changing for you or anybody!"  So, Jerry chose, by his own actions & words, this result.

Second:  You have all the emails now Jason...enjoy. 

Third:  This is absolutely not personal, despite the assertion that it is; that I hate him because he's a Democrat, and I'm a Republican (I'm a Democrat btw)... If ANY member received the emails I have from another member, over a long period, this would be the result.  Brian founded this forum on mutual respect for everyone.  We (meaning all of us members) are not here to be degraded and insulted, regardless of whether you have 1 post or 5000...mutual respect is a requirement that everyone here does a tremendous job of maintaining.

Finally, I realize that my post about 'it bothered Me' came off as incredibly poorly worded and sure, dictatorish...so for that I apologize.  You may believe, or have been told, that that was the cause of the action taken.  However, it was not.

As I stated earlier, there is a long, extended history here of consistent and chronic poor behavior and forum membership violations that prompted this action.  It was not taken without forwarding the email exchange to multiple folks.  They are welcome to step forward, but I won't do so without their permission...there were more who reviewed the exchange besides Gregg and myself.  There were also multiple phone calls to discuss this as I didn't want to (and didn't) make this decision alone, and not without their full support.

Having said all of that...Jim B had an excellent point tonight, that it is our fault (Gregg and I) for doing so much behind the scenes to manage situations, instead of pushing folks that they need to be on the forum for discussion...(believe that was Doug's point as well).  I accept that..that's true.  So, yes, things will be changing on that front.

There is a lot more to this..a lot more.  For example...did you know that its my fault that the meet at Red Wing is called the '8th Annual'?  According to Jerry it is...despite the fact that I didn't organize 1-6...it is my fault that the meets when Jesse ran the club, weren't counted and that it wasn't started at 6 when Brian started them...its my fault.  (For the record, it started at 1st b/c it was the 1st year at Red Wing...NOT b/c Brian was attempting to discredit any prior meet.)  Yep, I get the nastiest emails about that...and have for a while...I need to 'Grow Up' and I have 'been told over and over' that its not the 8th meet.

How much more would you like to know?  There's a lot...and I'm tired of getting consistently berated by 1 individual...b/c I 'won't just do what he says'...out of some supposed slight that occurred years and years ago, that has nothing to do with me.

OK, enough, I'm tired.

'Ownership'...what does that mean: 

Someone's name ultimately goes on the domain name account, and a credit card has to back that up.   When Brian needed someone to step in and help, it was apparent that having 1 individual only, know the site passwords & account information has inherent risks.  That means that 1 person can control everything right?  Not good.  When I took over 2+ years ago, I immediately passed on ALL passwords and accounts, including the 1&1 hosting info to ALL Moderators to insure that no one person could control the site.  Gregg, Jason and Brian were all given this information.

Ownership does not equal 'power' over members here, it never has, and never will...we made a decision that has caught folks off guard, however, that decision was not made in a vacuum.  I purposefully distributed that info to prevent 1 person from bringing this great forum & website down like what happened at Carlson Speed & the Nat forums.  This site can live for as long as folks want it to.

Last year, I asked Gregg to pay for 1/2 the website hosting fees in exchange for being a 'co-owner' because at that time, I again, didn't want full control over it and NO, despite his post, and email's from Jerry, Gregg has not quit.  Time to come out of the closet Gregg...I've outed you!  LOL.

As for Jerry...The choice has always been his...it was his choice to continue to send me vitriolic filled emails after asking him to not, it was his choice to leave the forums when I asked him to work on his posts.  It is STILL his choice to come back...but that ball is in his court and always has been...but he has to agree to the (very easy) conditions posted above.  I'm simply not here to be consistently blamed for everything wrong with the forums in his opinion.  I work very hard to keep this forums safe & stable and hacker free...to be abused & slammed as I have been. 

I'm not sure if that will help explain anything to anyone, but this is not just about David's thread, or Brandon's oil filter post...there is so, so much more, more than I'm going to post here.

In the end, I agree that my post on David's thread came off as being a dictator...I get that, but hopefully, given the history above, folks will understand that the straw that broke the camel's back happened, and no, I didn't post or word that correctly.  I'll take that as a 'need to do better' reminder.

Any other questions?    (Like I said, long history here...but, there you go folks...)

Once Jerry stops his antics behind the scenes...the email's to members, the phone calls, the accusations, the name calling, etc, trying to stir up trouble, agrees to try to do better, he will sit in Read Only for 2 weeks and then he'll be back, and can stay back provided he behaves.  Jim B thought that was fair, and I agree.

As always, feel free to add your 2 cents! 
« Last Edit: June 14, 2015, 01:37:22 AM by dorelse »
1990 Sierra 1700