Author Topic: Pre-Fourth of July Fireworks  (Read 33570 times)

Offline Hyperacme

• Administrator
Re: Pre-Fourth of July Fireworks
« Reply #20 on: June 14, 2015, 08:23:42 AM »
"I'm not changing for you or anybody!"

Jerry ... I don't understand why you would want to continue to post rude & disrespectful post even after you know the consequences of your actions.

Offline David CVX-16

• Donate members
« Reply #21 on: June 14, 2015, 09:43:32 AM »
The Minnesota Chapter of the Classic Glastron Owners Association has higher standards of conduct than the Carlson Speed and the Scream and Fly forums. After Walt got ticked off at Todd, administrator of the National Classic Glastron owners Association, he and others went over to the Carlson Speed site, and bad mouthed Todd for all of his rules and proceeded to take great pleasure and delight, in my opinion, in their new found freedom by their words and pictures. I found this disgusting.

Scream and Fly can be brutal in tearing down and criticizing its members. I have read some of the things said about one of our members, and this member also mentioned this to me.

In all groups and associations, there are rules of conduct for the common good of the group, be it football, wrestling, the court room, debate teams, marriage, the family, the highway, or education organizations. If I know there are rules, be they spoken or unspoken, I feel safer to speak and act, knowing that if the rules are broken or violated, people will come to my aid.

I have to watch myself while posting. I am competitive, selfish, and think my ideas and products are better than others. How many times have I posted something in the heat of battle then thought about the inappropriateness of it, and gone back and deleted it or modified it.

Yes, this group accepts different ways of doing things, and using different products and methods, such as oils, sparkplugs, propellers, woods, and fiberglass. All I can say is that I have researched it and it works for me. You are free to choose whatever you like and I will not think less of you.       
« Last Edit: June 14, 2015, 10:19:08 AM by David CVX-16 »
David
87' CVX-16, 85' 115 HP Johnson, 58.8 MPH GPS w/ 23" SRX Prop

Offline 75starflight

« Reply #22 on: June 14, 2015, 10:51:09 AM »

How many times have I posted something in the heat of battle then thought about the inappropriateness of it, and gone back and deleted it or modified it.

I have done this several times myself.

The Minnesota Chapter of the Classic Glastron Owners Association has higher standards of conduct

This is one reason I enjoy this group so much. Also, this is the main reason we all work together to keep this group the way it is and has always been.

Yes we all have opinions on how things should be done, but it is our differences that makes this group have such a wealth of knowledge that has helped so many people save, restore and revive the Glastrons and Carlsons that has brought us all together in this group.

Remember, we were all new to this group once. Keeping it respectful is what  we should do. 

Let me put it in this perspective. Four years ago I was looking for information and help on bringing Phoenix back to the glory she deserved. I saw how everyone on here got along and helped each other out and treated each other like family and i wanted to be a part of that, that is why I joined. Because of the help all of you have provided and that amount of knowledge that is collectively here as the group and how all of you are friends and treat everyone as family when they first sign on and introduce themselves.

Edit:

there is one other reason I joined this site. This is one of the most active Glastron groups there is on the internet!

« Last Edit: June 14, 2015, 11:16:41 AM by 75starflight »
1975 v-179 starflite

Offline fireman24mn

« Reply #23 on: June 14, 2015, 09:50:43 PM »
After being away from the computer this weekend (enjoying my Glastron on the river!!) I just read threw all of these posts. I also read the email exchanges, that have been referenced. I supported the decision made. I don't know said person that well and have only spoken to him a few times. But I have read many of the posts that have been discussed and simple thought what the hell, why would someone say that to another "friend". I have no hatred against anyone (ok no one on here anyway).

Some the emails were far from polite and simply, blamed, accused, demanded , as well as being disrespectful. We are all here to support each other and have a good time. When you are doing a project and are told you are doing it wrong, when wrong is simply one persons opinion. I don't agree with this. If you are a random person that comes across this site and read posts like that it would definitely turn me off and I would not want to join a group of individuals that talked to people that way. Everyone has an opinion and a way of doing things. Just because it is your way does not mean everyone has to do something that way. I have had the company I worked for called out see this thread http://forum.cgoamn.com/index.php?topic=3926.msg47073#msg47073 

As I said in that post it's disrespectful and completely un-called for. I received more that one email, pm, and a couple calls about that post. It was people apologizing to me for someone else's actions. Was I personally offended NO, am I easily offended NO, but again common respect for your fellow man/ woman goes a long way.

There is more than once I have typed a post and then reread my post before submitting it. I then changed it or deleted it all together. It is like text messages now days there is no expressed emotion. How do you know when someone is joking, mad, kidding, with the written word. Unless you are using the emoji's (i really dont like them). It is hard to express feeling with written word. I have sent text messages to people before joking around and then reread my message only to think o know what if they take that the wrong way. Completely meant it as a joke but with out a facial expression how will someone else take it.

I think (my opinion) the biggest thing we all need to take away from this is that we need to re read our posts before we submit. How is the other person going to take it when they dont see the post for a day and forget any implied emotion. Instead of YOUR DOING IT WRONG! Maybe I have done it this way and it worked well. Will people get offended some times yes. Can anyone prevent it all NO, but can it be made better yes. It's a pretty simple concept just don't say offensive things to people, and if you really say those things say it to them and not post it for everyone else to read!

Like i said earlier think of the random people we meet while out boating and tell them about this great site we have and how we  are all hear to help. We tell them we support each other, we'll try to help solve problems or questions, and how its a great group of people. So they go home that night get on the site and see some one calling someone out, telling them there are wasting money doing it that way, bad mouthing there political views, demanding that there way it the best, etc. They are not coming back and they sure are not going to want to meet up with a group like that.

Some times you have to suck up your pride and simply say, Hay I was wrong my bad. Simple as that. My way or the highway is not the correct mindset and if you choose that path then it will be a lonely highway.

Lets all get a long show each other some mutual respect!! Reread a post before you submit it and think to yourself how will someone outside looking in view this. After all this is a public forum correct?

I think this has become an addiction.

1977 CV-23 I/O Full Resto complete
1976 CV-16 V8 Resto in progress
1985 Pearson MotorYacht 43ft

Offline Jason

• Global Moderator
  • 1974 CV16SS, 1986 CV23
« Reply #24 on: June 16, 2015, 10:10:01 AM »
I have now read the "emails" as well. Doran's last post also helps explain what has been going on behind the scenes that the majority of us have no idea is even happening.

I support Dorans decision and agree is in a VERY tuff spot to be in. Hearing other members concerns/complaints and taking actions.

To keep this short, I  am glad Jerry is not "banned" and only on a temporary lock. I know he is reading this thread and is hopefully an eyeopener to him. Even though the majority of his posts are not offensive to me and to me he is simply stating his opinion but not in the BEST way possible. I read though his all caps one liners and see what he is really trying to say. So Jerry, I hope you are able to change the way you present your view points and advise on the forum and are able to get back on the forum. You have a great wealth of information and a lot of experience with a wide range of projects.

Lets all be as respectful as possible on the forum, keep it family friendly, and most of all treat people on the forum as friends because that is exactly what we all are.

Jason
Jason S.
1974 Glastron Carlson CV16SS 140 I/O
1986 Glastron Carlson CV23 260 I/O

Offline still_fishin

• Donate members
« Reply #25 on: June 16, 2015, 09:43:15 PM »
I honestly read the title of this posting and really thought it was about fire works of a different kind, so I skipped it and continued on to the classifieds. I was told by a member to read through it. I did.

All I can say is I second David.  Spend a few hours on Scream and Fly and you will see the direction CGOAMN should avoid.
'80 Intimidator
'85 CV23

Offline Plugcheck

• Donate members
« Reply #26 on: June 16, 2015, 10:23:22 PM »
I simply wish to add that I appreciate the efforts of everyone to keep this forum civil.  Doran, Greg, Jason, your efforts to moderate the threads is undoubtedly a thankless task, but a neccassary effort nonetheless.  With all the current conflicts in society and modern life in general, its nice to have a friendly forum to discuss our beloved watercraft and to advance a hobby.  Michael(Plugcheck)
Michael
1979 CVZ-18 388 CI Vortec Mouse
1980 CVX-16SS 140 Mercruiser
1979 CVX-16 Johnson 175
2002 Bennington 2275CC 90 Mercury
1985 Intimidator project
1989 Lowe 200 Redneck fishin Toon
2001 Godfrey Sweetwater pontoon 115 Rude

Offline dorelse

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: June 16, 2015, 11:21:09 PM »
Thanks everyone for weighing in...I think we've kind of let this run its course.  I'm not going to lock this thread, but what say we get back to boating.  I have 1 that works, and 1 that doesn't...so I'm focusing on getting the barge ready and looking forward to seeing all of you in August!

I'm sure everyone is ready as well.  Cool?

I should say, that you can always email us at the cgoamn@gmail.com email address if you have something that you truly feel can't be discussed openly.  There is always the 'Report to moderator' option too...that lovely MercRestor guy uses that all the dang time.  However, do try to discuss & resolve things on the forums first going forward!

1990 Sierra 1700