Author Topic: 1980 CVX-16 Restoration Thread  (Read 32572 times)

Offline Hyperacme

• Administrator
Re: 1980 CVX-16 Restoration Thread
« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2017, 09:22:58 AM »
WOW !
Big heated shop, plenty of help, free materials, a nice CVX16 ....
Please document your build as you go, it will help others doing there CVX build and if you ever want to sell your boat, proof of exactly how it was rebuilt.

Offline rheine

• Donate members
    • A Universe of Equine People and Knowledge
« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2017, 09:46:29 PM »
Isaiah,

I'm on board. I am already enjoying your (our) total rebuild. Thank you for sharing with us. A little help from your shop friends will go a long ways in moving forward and not getting bogged down. I guess you found out that behind every restoration there is a lot of dirty, dusty, hard work. We've got a hand on your back. Keep the updates coming.

Rick
1986 CV-23

Offline 17ireid

• 1980 Glastron CVX 16 Deluxe
« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2017, 07:11:01 AM »
Thank you for everyones support, it's great having such an active and helpful community. Some big accomplishments yesterday, cap taken off and put aside, stringer was removed and transom well on it's way out. Any suggestions on methods or tools on removing the transom, it's proving very difficult. Makes me wonder how they break in the first place ::) Here are some pictures:

1. My friend Bo was dealing with the stringer with a hammer, 5 in 1 and crow bar while I worked on cutting out the transom
2. "I could use that in my garden"
3. The cap stored in our spray booth
4. Stringer out

Also something worth mentioning, I'm probably not going with the original laser blue/blue but with a 1977 CVX 16 original color, Orange flake and white gelcoat (hopefully like Randyj's CV-16ss "fastest restoration thread ever"). I think this may pop a more and if I do something I might as well do it a way I like. Also the whole shop thought that was a pretty sweet scheme. Hope thats not a deal breaker.

« Last Edit: January 10, 2017, 07:32:07 AM by 17ireid »

Offline dorelse

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2017, 09:25:24 AM »
Its your boat...paint it whatever color you like!  Shawn's Orange CVX-18 was sweet!
1990 Sierra 1700

Offline 75starflight

« Reply #24 on: January 10, 2017, 09:47:22 AM »
I like your thoughts on the new color.

On removing the transom wood, I found a rockwell sonicrafter (or the same of another brand) is a great tool to remove the wood on the transom. The last one I did I had to cut 1" x 1" squares and chisel them out.
1975 v-179 starflite

Offline Hyperacme

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: January 10, 2017, 10:12:23 AM »
I used a cheap Harbor Freight "Oscillating Multi-Tool" , worked pretty good, get the metal bits, last longer.
http://www.harborfreight.com/power-tools/oscillating-tools/oscillating-multi-tool-62279.html

I love the apricot / orange !
Go for it !

Offline Oldfishguy

• Donate members
« Reply #26 on: January 10, 2017, 11:31:07 AM »

Color preference is in the eye of the beholder.

I think all of us have done some mods to the original design in the rebuild process; some for functionality and others for aesthetics.  Go for it!

You have probably seen this thread on my floor rebuild, but if not it is here for your reference:
(And I think Greg posted a month or so ago a few vendors with orange carpet.)

Best of luck.

http://forum.cgoamn.com/index.php?topic=5298.0

1972 1/2 Glastron CV 16
1973 Chrysler 120

Offline fireman24mn

« Reply #27 on: January 10, 2017, 12:39:22 PM »
Orange and white is what I painted my 18 and I am using the same colors on the 23 I am redoing. I used base clear I did not do gel coat.

I also have a 23 Jet that is factory orange.
I think this has become an addiction.

1977 CV-23 I/O Full Resto complete
1976 CV-16 V8 Resto in progress
1985 Pearson MotorYacht 43ft

Offline V153

« Reply #28 on: January 10, 2017, 03:52:28 PM »
Its your boat...paint it whatever color you like!  Shawn's Orange CVX-18 was sweet!

Wish I'd had the opportunity to see that one in person.
'81 C500_given away, bought back_75.1 mph
'81 Baja 15SS_140 Frankenrude_66.7 mph
'70 something SpeedCraft_(Allison 16R Clone)_69.0 mph
'79 CVZ19_given away
'71 V153_54.8 mph_wrecked

WALK TALL AND CARRY A BIG BILGE PUMP

Offline 17ireid

« Reply #29 on: January 15, 2017, 07:21:26 AM »
All of your boats look so great, I hope mine will look that good one day! I'm glad orange is well received I've come to really like the idea! It's amazing what the right tools can do. I asked our teacher and turns out we had a multi-tool. it took awhile but the transom finally came out. Now working on cleaning up the rest of the hull cutting out tabbing and bad glass, next will be grinding everything down. In the process I found that this is not the first time since 1980 the bilge has seen the light of day. Towards the back where at some point in time it struck something quite hard there is another layer of roving layed down. Very poorly I might add as it's an extremely twisted weave and buried in resin at the bottom and dry higher up. So, thats being pried off along with some other areas of de-lamination. After that the hull will be ground down, repaired, and receive a new layer of glass to add a little more structural integrity to the boat. This will be done with either a chopper gun or hand laid CSM and roving. Here are some images from two classes ago after the transom came out. So Much Filler.

Also I have to thank my boat for getting me into college :P As it made a good topic for a college essay. I will be attending the University of Maine next year gunning for a degree in Civil Engineering.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2017, 07:27:58 AM by 17ireid »

Offline Oldfishguy

• Donate members
« Reply #30 on: January 15, 2017, 07:57:21 AM »

Awesome!

These old boats have seen a lot in their time.  A lot of owners, a lot of water, and in many cases a lot of repairs.  The lucky ones find their way into caring hands and make them as good as new, or better in many cases. It is good to see your moving past the ugly stage in this process and will soon be sniffing resin on a daily basis for a bit.  It is up to you but the hull probably doesn't need an entire new coating of glass.  These hulls are pretty short and once you get the keel beam in they are solid with no flex.

Congrats on the University entrance, Bangor is a nice area of the country.  It is a lot like central and northern Minnesota with lakes, woods and rolling hills.  You'll end up writing a few more papers on your ship as you will have a few more English classes to navigate; great topic, something one can be passionate about.  Keep these papers and place them in a plastic zip lock hidden away in the ship for the next restorer to find.(My ships story is under the floor.)

Best of luck.

David

1972 1/2 Glastron CV 16
1973 Chrysler 120

Offline Hyperacme

• Administrator
« Reply #31 on: January 15, 2017, 09:30:26 AM »
Multi-tool's are slow, but offer better control of areas being cut.
Nice that you got some of the wood out in one piece, for patterns.

There's plans for seats here ...
http://forum.cgoamn.com/index.php?topic=3820.0

Offline 17ireid

« Reply #32 on: January 15, 2017, 02:11:09 PM »
That's not a bad idea. Would be a pretty cool read if I had one. Also thank you for the seat link, one of the things I've been wondering about. I think Im still going to add another layer, some original layers came up too so it'll prohibit any more deterioration there. Im very fortunate in that all materials are free as many composite businesses donate a lot to our program (I'm so snobby.) Afterwards I think it'll really help creating a clean slate to build off of.

Offline 17ireid

« Reply #33 on: January 29, 2017, 06:44:50 AM »
Finally able to work on the boat again after a week of midterms. Only had one day of class this week because snow day but a lot happened. We found the entire floor and sides were covered with layers of CSM right over the original carpet.... so removing the mat and then carpet is well on its way and I finally understand how these boats were built so that's a plus knowing most of the glass I'm seeing wasn't original. Here's some pictures of the progress and the fiberglass being pulled up (you could almost use it again it's so dry XD)
« Last Edit: January 29, 2017, 05:23:39 PM by 17ireid »

Offline GCarlover

« Reply #34 on: January 29, 2017, 11:21:27 AM »
You might consider putting in CV 16 back to back seats.  Better balance.  The back seat is very uncomfortable.  Your boat.  Your choice.  Don't use buttons in the seats.  They catch water.  The 77 Apricot color is nice.  Mine's Persian Orange. (1980)

Offline 17ireid

« Reply #35 on: February 05, 2017, 09:09:04 AM »
Some very big issues surfaced and need to ask the opinions of those who have been there. As stated before the previous owner did some very extensive and painfully improper work. Every chine was filled with filler and then covered with roving. I dug out the first chine and discovered a 5 foot by 2-3 inch tear through the hull, stacked on top of the many other painful pitfalls this sets the final nail in the coffin. My concerns are:

-If a patch will hold especially as the hull is likely warped after all the reinforcement being removed and it's rough past, this is also a high stress area of the hull.

-There is so much wrong with this boat and I've been just gutting it for a month of class now, will it be done? I don't have the resources, time, or money for that matter after. Also the concern of maintaining what would have been done.

-Do I really want this boat to burden me after I have to get a life out of college

-Is there more immense damage like this?

-If I did finish it out, I may get 2 years out of it, and then maybe have to sell it for such a large loss. I may learn a bit but, I'd also learn a lot in the class I'm in doing work that you don't have to take home with you.

I'm not sure if to continue or to park the boat away as a long term lawn ornament or until I win the lottery. I need some suggestions. This has been a real heartbreaker for me. Here are the pictures of the damage on one of the chines. Three more are sealed with the same method and I don't know if more surprises lurk under there.

Thank you in advance for your time, and thoughts. I really appreciate it.

Offline Hyperacme

• Administrator
« Reply #36 on: February 05, 2017, 10:10:00 AM »
"Every chine was filled with filler and then covered with roving. I dug out the first chine and discovered a 5 foot by 2-3 inch tear through the hull"

WOW !   
Guess it could be fixed ... BUT ...
To much wrong with that hull, I would find one in better shape.

Offline Retro Performance

« Reply #37 on: February 05, 2017, 11:57:31 AM »
What was used for filler in the strakes?

Offline 17ireid

« Reply #38 on: February 05, 2017, 12:17:04 PM »
Yeah, I was leaning that direction. Thank you for the input.

Strakes that was the word I was looking for, always get those confused. The filler was this slightly soft greenish, blue stuff, and then some sort of thickened polyester resin.

Offline GCarlover

« Reply #39 on: February 05, 2017, 01:07:33 PM »
The first guy didn't know much about boat design.  The strakes are there to give lift therefore less drag.  If you can extend the lower strakes or create a pad  it can help this effect.  The pad Art designed is not perfect.  He just filled the mold in effect cut off the V bottom.  But its is not parallel.  It also has a slight hook plus hooks at the upper strakes.  Have fun straightening out that hull!