General Category > General Discussion

New Safety Stickers

(1/3) > >>

V153:
Hey I'll have you know I got my 2010 safety inspection stickers from both the VPD & the Coasties today. Yes I realize we're halfway through august but I don't like to rush into things ...

Anyway we passed our inspection with flaming, er, flying colors. WooHoo!

David CVX-16:
Sounds great Doug. Nice when things go well.

V153:
Yeah but it didn't start out all that promising. First thing Phil, our favorite VPD guy, asked for was the registration. I'd gone through great pains to put this in a 'waterproof' container. Similar to one of those little buoy key chains only larger. It hangs just behind the motor controls. So I figgered no problem and popped the top off the container. It was about half full of water & the registration was soaked. Phil rolled his eyes but then said, "Y'know, I've seen worse ..." I managed to extract most of it from the container and reconstruct it best I could on the deck. Thankfully it was legible enough.

How does that happen?! How does water get into a contraption specifically designed to keep it out? Honestly, water must have defied the law of gravity to get in. Wasn't like the dang thing was ever submerged. I don't get it?

Anyway the Coast Guard inspection was later in the day & went off without a hitch. They didn't even ask for registration which I thought was odd. But they probly know all that stuff already ...?   

badgercarlson:
I got my new Coast Guard sticker yesterday.  This year's orange sticker almost matches my orange metalflake !!  I get inspected every year because I often boat in Lake Michigan and the Great Lakes are patrolled by the CG.  They have always asked for my registration card, first thing.  This year the inspector climbed in to the boat and, using a flashlight, really checked out my battery box, battery tie down strap, and the insulation on all the wires back there.  All that was fine so no problem.  Never had them be so thorough about the electrical stuff. 

ChfBrianB:
Interesting...

I just added a Marine Radio to my CVX-20 last night.  Probably don't need it, but it's an older model, and it would be nice to have.  Now I need to learn the radio protocol.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version