Author Topic: I think I'm in trouble  (Read 1326 times)

Offline Fatlenny

I think I'm in trouble
« on: January 29, 2022, 06:48:39 PM »
Still putting along on my project boat "Knot Sure", and keeping an eye on the interwebs for any deals on boats for parts. I came across this Glastron that appears to be a 1972 Glastron V163 that has a 1973 Johnson 65 outboard on it. Until a recent windstorm it has been kept covered. Told by owner that the motor was not winterized fall of 2020 and would not turn over this last summer.  But everything else is solid on this boat. She just looks like she needs a good cleaning and a little buff, the interior appears all original, all there, and in really good shape other than needing a good cleaning. Maybe I can get the ol Johnson running again. May use this motor on the project boat If I can get her running as I have wanted to go just a little bit bigger than the 50 that came on it.  The price seems too good to be true so I am driving just over an hour away to take a look at her tomorrow morning. May have my first REAL Glastron soon!
« Last Edit: January 29, 2022, 06:53:08 PM by Fatlenny »

Offline Hyperacme

• Administrator
Re: I think I'm in trouble
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2022, 07:30:21 PM »
Pictures are of an original 1972 blue vinyl.
Most boats of that age will have some wood rot in floor / stringers / transom.
Poke around under any thru drilled spots on transom for rotted wood, pound on floor under splash well, look for any (white lines) in transom fiberglass.

Offline Fatlenny

Re: I think I'm in trouble
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2022, 04:22:41 PM »
Ya, It was too good to be true. Floors gone although seller told me it was solid. pushed hard on outboard and no flex in the transom, I thought great! but looked in the splashwell and there was a 2x6 bolted to it. Interior still looked good. original seats and other upholstery all there and in great shape. Dash panel inserts was trashed. exterior of the boat looked as only in need of a good buff and wax. Told the seller I will continue to watch there posting and if they dont sell it in the next month or so I would consider sending them a much lower offer because I was hoping for more of something that just needed a little TLC instead of replacement of transom, floors and whatever was found in need of repair under the floors. Sellers was very nice and understanding. Thanked me for the information I gave them after my inspection of the boat. I just dont think they know much about old boats and how much work it really is to do these kinds of repairs. Someone could leave the 2x6 transom support and slap a piece of plywood on the floor and call it good, but that person is not going to be me. Well maybe if I did buy it down the road only if she ran and I wanted to take it on the water once before we started digging into it.