Author Topic: New Member From California.  (Read 3169 times)

Offline Dale Dunham

New Member From California.
« on: November 19, 2018, 04:04:45 PM »
Good afternoon. My name is Dale. Im a newbie from California. I just retired and found a project for free to occupy my time. 1982 ssv-151. Its missing some items like steering, gauges, fuel cell and ski and cooler covers. Not sure if the motor runs yet. Seats need recovering but frames are in good shape.Still has the top too. I removed the carpet and found no evidence of damage or rot. So I would welcome any advise for locating missing parts. I look forward to chating with you all.

Offline Plugcheck

• Donate members
Re: New Member From California.
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2018, 05:28:05 PM »
Welcome.  Nice to know your willing to save a classic.  Free boats can sometimes become expensive boats rather quickly.  Two bits of advice, first one is to spend some time cleaning, inspecting, and evaluating the entire craft, bow to stern, and don't forget the trailer.  Second piece is what are your plans for the boat? Watersports, fishing maybe, how often do you plan to go.  Once you have the info, how much does it need, and how much can you do. This establishes your budget.  Stay consistent and focused and you might end up with a great boat that will serve for years.
Michael
1979 CVZ-18 388 CI Vortec Mouse
1980 CVX-16SS 140 Mercruiser
1979 CVX-16 Johnson 175
2002 Bennington 2275CC 90 Mercury
1985 Intimidator project
1989 Lowe 200 Redneck fishin Toon
2001 Godfrey Sweetwater pontoon 115 Rude

Offline Hyperacme

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2018, 11:03:00 AM »
Welcome to the forum Dale !
 Joe rebuilt a SSV151 few years back ..
http://forum.cgoamn.com/index.php?topic=5193.0

SeaStar Solutions / Teleflex for steering
http://www.seastarsolutions.com/

Any boat dealer can get you Seastar steering systems, or get one online.
On there web site it has "How to measure for cable length"
Rotary style helm might interfere with gauges so check to see if you have room, might need to use rack style.
Spend the extra money for the NFB steering system !

Gauges will depend on your motor for tach. Make sure tach. will work with your motor. Then find a speedo that matches ..
What motor do you have ?

After looking at pictures of "under splash well" I think I would go with two portable 6 gal. tanks and run two fuel line up to splash well, so you could quickly change from one tank to the other without removing seat to get at them.   

Check here for more info …
Vendor and Repair Resources
http://forum.cgoamn.com/index.php?board=7.0

Offline Dale Dunham

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2018, 12:13:06 PM »
Thanks to you folks for the information. It really helps. I have been doing a lot of cleaning and the boat is very sound so far. Mostly a lot of oxidation. The interior is stripped and cleaned. I stopped work and put inside for awhile doe to the inclement weather. Again thank you for the comments and advise.