Author Topic: I wanted a CVX20 since they were new, finally have one.  (Read 1608 times)

Offline Fin2

I wanted a CVX20 since they were new, finally have one.
« on: July 03, 2020, 08:15:39 AM »
Picked up a boat I've wanted since they were new. 1977 Glaston Carlton CVX20. Needs a total restoration.

460 big block Ford with a Berkley jet pump.

When I talked to the seller I told him I was planning on bringing a trailer and backing the boat/trailer onto my trailer. He said no need for that, the tires are good. I told him that I would just bring 3 new tires/wheels from my car hauler to swap the "good tires(dry rotted)" out. He assured me the 15" tires would fit.

Well, my tires would not fit inside the fenders and the fenders are riveted on, so I was stuck needing new tires in Cross City FL at 5:00 PM.

I repacked the wheels bearings so I need 2 grease seals. The seals I bought with me were too big. After two hours of looking I had two seals from two different stores.
 One seal fit so I used it on the hub I had pulled a seal from. The other hub I just left the seal in and used Brake Kleen to clean it and repacked it with the old seal in.

I threw some temp lights on the trailer and headed to Live Oak where the mechanic(the boat was at the seller's mechanic's shop/house) told me the closest tire place(Walmart) was.

I got a phone signal at 5:20 and called Walmart. The tire Guy said they close the shop a 6:00 and to come on. I got there at 5:50 or so.
 Really nice folks at the Walmart. They were on it like a NASCAR pit crew. 4 guys. They actually used a torque wrench and torqued the nuts 3 times. I told him I forgot to ask for a lug nuts that was missing and the lead guy said he put one on there and replaced the dry rotted valve stems(I forgot about the stems).
 In my world 95% of the people I meet were sorry. That Walmart tire crew gave top notch service and did it right.

The boat actually came from Georgia and the seller never got it in the water. Good news. No pitting from salt water anywhere on the boat.

Gonna put the boat in the pole barn and hopefully get on it in next year.

I'm gonna have to sell some of my other junk to make room for my new junk.

It's a trip towing a 20' boat that you can't see in your mirrors.

Next on the list is finding a 70's Chevy 4x4 stepside to two it with. I have my eye on a '76 Sport project truck.

Offline Fin2

Re: I wanted a CVX20 since they were new, finally have one.
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2020, 08:18:22 AM »
When Hyperacme posts the for sale ad a couple month ago some commented that it had a "metric" windscreen. Is this a windscreen off a later model?

Offline Fin2

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2020, 08:19:29 AM »
For some reason I can only post 1 pic per post. It may be an issue with my computer.

Offline Fin2

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2020, 08:25:45 AM »
The plans call for a total restoration and a mild 500-600 hp rebuild of the 460.

I have to start doing some research. I want to go with an orange flake over white like fireman24mn did on his first Glastron restoration.

It there a limit on the power the jet pump can handle or is that a non issue?

The tow pig will look like this when restored, I found an original orange big block Sport project truck I am working on purchasing:

Offline Plugcheck

• Donate members
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2020, 03:05:11 PM »
That windshield is not the correct one for that model.   Might me a metric or maybe not glastron at all.  As for the engine, pumps eat HP, you made need a different impeller if you're making 500+ HP to realize it's potential.    Running logs with snails, I'd be careful with cam selection sucking water from the exhaust.   We just finished a 460 build, had to do a lot since the PO just threw a bunch of parts at it.  Wrong spacer, rods didn't match, balancing was a real chore.  Good luck with your project.
Michael
1979 CVZ-18 388 CI Vortec Mouse
1980 CVX-16SS 140 Mercruiser
1979 CVX-16 Johnson 175
2002 Bennington 2275CC 90 Mercury
1985 Intimidator project
1989 Lowe 200 Redneck fishin Toon
2001 Godfrey Sweetwater pontoon 115 Rude

Offline Hyperacme

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2020, 08:28:54 PM »
GREAT SCORE !

That looks like a Metric WS.
If in good shape .. there's a guy looking for one on FB ..  LINK ..

https://www.facebook.com/groups/443836755769701/permalink/1659254394227925/

It should fit all Metric's and CVX17's.
From UPD's web site on fitment ..
1981 C500 & C537 Metric & 1986 CVX 17ft = Inside Windshield Dimensions: 61 L x 21 W x 17 H

Your pictures aren't that large, but are "PNG" format .. Picture in "JPG" format seem to load quicker / better / faster.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2020, 10:21:20 PM by Hyperacme »