General Category > General Discussion

CVZ-18 - Quick Question Plz!!!

(1/4) > >>

dorelse:
Gotta return the engine hoist tomorrow at 9am...so...quick responses are appreciated!

I've got the engine in the boat  (YAY!).  Only problem is the engine seems to be tilted really far forward, with the boat being fairly level.  Before I painted the engine bay, I could tell that the engine mounts were directly on the fiberglass.  But with the engine I purchased, it came with wood blocks for the mounts to sit on.  SO...does your engine sit on wood blocks or directly on the fiberglass?

TIA!

Rich_V174SS:
I'll field this one.
If the engine came with a couple of blocks use them or make up a new pair to get the engine up in the front. You will also need an alignment tool and a pair of wrenches to adjust the nuts on each engine mount. The alignment tool is required to precisely set the height of the front mounts so the drive shaft coupler is in proper alignment angle with the gimbal bearing and driveshaft so they are not strained. Also, if the engine alignment is not correct you won't be able to install the drive. To do this you have to insert the alignment tool in through the transom assembly and into the coupler, raise the front of the engine with the hoist until the tool can slide in ALL THE WAY into the coupler with little to no resistance, then adjust your mounts equally to fix the engine in this position. Then you should be able to install the drive without problem.

When I installed the engine in my boat I had to make a spacer from a 2x6 sealed and painted to match the rest of the bilge.

Rich_V174SS:
Here's an alignment tool set on ebay, there are others available at lesser prices, just search for Mercruiser alignment tool.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ALIGNMENT-GIMBAL-SEAL-BELLOW-TOOLS-MERCRUISER-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem483d728fcfQQitemZ310268563407QQptZBoatQ5fPartsQ5fAccessoriesQ5fGear#ht_4307wt_952

Shrom CVX-18:
Mine doesn't site on any woodin blocks...Looks like you have the same engine as I do in my cvx-18

Rich_V174SS:
It would depend on how high the tops of the stringers were built and the design of the mounts used on the engine. In any case if you can't adjust the mounts enough the achieve the proper alignment height then you have to use a spacer in between. You'll need the alignment tool to know for sure.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version