Author Topic: CVZ-18 hull rebuild has begun!  (Read 53655 times)

Offline Hyperacme

• Administrator
Re: CVZ-18 hull rebuild has begun!
« Reply #120 on: April 02, 2019, 02:21:08 PM »
I added 2 extra inches of foam to driver side cushion when I rebuilt mine.
Shouldn't some one make adjustable height seat bases ?
Or ..
Add wood stacks to bottom of your seat bases.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2019, 03:46:15 PM by Hyperacme »

Offline hemi RT

« Reply #121 on: April 02, 2019, 03:42:18 PM »
I added 2 extra inches to driver side cushion when I rebuilt mine.
Shouldn't some one make adjustable height seat bases ?
Or ..
Add wood stacks to bottom of your seat bases.

They do make a pivoting/ height adjustable pedestal style seat base but from what I have seen these are very expensive. I have built new seat boxes to raise the seats for shorter people or people that want to sit up higher.  I even made a removable riser box so it could be removed when necessary.   
Boat Pro International
Restoration, detailing and appraisals

Offline Scott in nh

« Reply #122 on: April 04, 2019, 11:30:35 AM »
I have built new seat boxes to raise the seats for shorter people or people that want to sit up higher.  I even made a removable riser box so it could be removed when necessary.   

Do you have pictures?

Offline Scott in nh

« Reply #123 on: August 26, 2019, 03:24:24 PM »
So I had good progress this year and will add some new pictures soon, but the reality is that the boating season will  start to wind down quickly here in the Northeast and my CVZ is unlikely to make it into the water this year  :-[

I think I have a realistic plan before winter of:
mounting the gas tank
install the floor over it and finish the glass work
mounting the internal/external engine/outdrive mounts
sand/buff/polish the entire hull
clean/polish/mount all external hardware including the windshields to get as much as possible out of the basement

This way in the spring it will be ready for the motor/outdrive and interior and she will look like a beautiful boat again (which will be good for motivation)

Over the course of the winter I will finish building/upholstering the interior (all downhill now)

The good news is that I think I am going to tear down the engine and rebuild it with my local machine shop over the winter as well

I've just come to far to put an unknown engine into all of my hard work

I will also service the outdrive and make sure it is ready as well

Offline catchnedge

• Donate members
« Reply #124 on: August 26, 2019, 09:02:18 PM »
Scott, my CVX-20 seats were a little low for me and my wife (looked through edge of window or lower), so for many years we just used throw cushions. But, they didn't fit particularly well. So eventually we made up some 2" cushions in the shape of the seat base, with a 3-4" lip in the back arch that pushes snugly down and in between the seat base and seat back to hold it in place. Easily removed if not needed for a taller driver or riding in winter, etc., but easily installed when wanted which for us is pretty much all the time. It seemed an easy solution for us and something I thought you may be interested in. I will take pictures of it next time at storage/boat if you want.
Mark
'62 Surflite 153 Hardtop, '63 Evinrude Lark III--"Gator 62"
'74 CV-16 Outboard, '86 Merc 90ELPTO--"Green Light"
'97 Pro-Line 202 Sportsman, '06 Yamaha 150hp--"At Ease"

Offline Scott in nh

« Reply #125 on: August 27, 2019, 08:45:19 AM »
Scott, my CVX-20 seats were a little low for me and my wife (looked through edge of window or lower), so for many years we just used throw cushions. But, they didn't fit particularly well. So eventually we made up some 2" cushions in the shape of the seat base, with a 3-4" lip in the back arch that pushes snugly down and in between the seat base and seat back to hold it in place. Easily removed if not needed for a taller driver or riding in winter, etc., but easily installed when wanted which for us is pretty much all the time. It seemed an easy solution for us and something I thought you may be interested in. I will take pictures of it next time at storage/boat if you want.

Please do, I think I will have plenty of material to make booster cushions with

Thanks

Offline catchnedge

• Donate members
« Reply #126 on: September 28, 2019, 07:44:59 AM »
Fits snug between seat back and bottom, easy in easy out.
Mark
'62 Surflite 153 Hardtop, '63 Evinrude Lark III--"Gator 62"
'74 CV-16 Outboard, '86 Merc 90ELPTO--"Green Light"
'97 Pro-Line 202 Sportsman, '06 Yamaha 150hp--"At Ease"

Offline Scott in nh

« Reply #127 on: October 01, 2019, 09:41:27 AM »
thanks, the pictures are very helpful!

Offline Scott in nh

« Reply #128 on: October 01, 2019, 09:59:23 AM »
So another season has come and gone without getting the CVZ in the water  :-[

But the gas tank is in, the floor and motor mounts installed, just a small area left to cover with fiberglass mat and I will pretty much be done with structural wood and fiberglass.

Depending on how the weather holds, i may try to sand/buff so I can get all of the rails, windshield(s), and hardware back on (i.e. out of the basement).

Over the winter I will finish the interior and I think I am going to disassemble and rebuild the mystery motor

I've done so much work over such a long time, I think it is worth the peace of mind to go through it.

Rebuilding the existing motor has the advantage of spreading the expense out over several months, let's me pick the cam and components, and have some control over quality (I always suspect the quality of crate motors - will you get a good one or a bad one?).

I will do the same to major wear components of the outdrive - recommendations on what to just do/replace versus what to just inspect are appreciated....

Offline Scott in nh

« Reply #129 on: February 18, 2020, 09:17:53 AM »
More progress,

Back seat still needs the buttons/pillows attached, but is getting close.

Because the engine cover and sundeck pillows hinge on this, it was more of a crux then i thought it would be.

I could have done better with the last staple line, but am resisting the urge to fix them as you cannot see it with the pillows attached.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2020, 12:24:28 PM by Scott in nh »

Offline Hyperacme

• Administrator
« Reply #130 on: February 18, 2020, 02:38:21 PM »
Looks GREAT !
Turned the last picture ..

Offline Scott in nh

« Reply #131 on: February 19, 2020, 08:33:56 AM »
Looks GREAT !
Turned the last picture ..

Thanks!

Offline RedOctober89

« Reply #132 on: February 20, 2020, 01:48:31 PM »
wow that looks awesome! upholstery is not an easy task!
Andrew C.
1989 Glastron Carlson 23 CSS 350 Mag - Red October
Follow the project on Instagram: redoctober89

Offline demian5

• Work hard and use your vacation days...
« Reply #133 on: February 20, 2020, 03:10:12 PM »
Because the engine cover and sundeck pillows hinge on this, it was more of a crux then i thought it would be.

How about building a aluminum bracket for the mounting? I did across the hull on my cvx16ss behind the seat and it kinda acted like a bulkhead to add structure to that part of the hull. Plus I can pull the seat without having to pull the engine cover first. And the engine cover stays put and wont drift down as the wood gets old.
1979 Glastron Carlson CVX 16 SS I/O Mercruiser 140 "Brick House"

Offline Scott in nh

« Reply #134 on: February 21, 2020, 07:56:04 AM »
How about building a aluminum bracket for the mounting? I did across the hull on my cvx16ss behind the seat and it kinda acted like a bulkhead to add structure to that part of the hull. Plus I can pull the seat without having to pull the engine cover first. And the engine cover stays put and wont drift down as the wood gets old.

I may end up doing something like that just to make access easier, thanks.

The crux part of it was that the seat wasn't touching the floor, it was resting on the angled section of hull.

Fixing that also meant insuring that it is the right height and level so everything (cushions and engine cover) lines up correctly.

I've learned from doing this interior (the entire boat really) that it is good to have the factory wood so you can see how it was built, but it is so poorly cut that you are better off measuring and fitting to your boat rather than making an exact copy of a crappy factory cut.

The best example of this are the simple sun deck cushions next to the engine cover.

They are a simple shape cut from one piece of plywood and one piece of 2x4 - laying the originals on top of each other showed they varied by as much as 1/2" - 3/4" in places.

Worse, one lined up with the fiberglass deck sort of ok, the other one wasn't even close.

Of course the top deck of the boat wasn't even the same side to side, so each one had to be fitted to where it was going.

Maybe I'm just too OCD about some of this stuff  :o

Offline Scott in nh

« Reply #135 on: February 26, 2020, 09:23:06 AM »
So I finally broke down the motor to see what I have and find out why the compression is low on a few cylinders.

The good news - the motor is a 350 bored 0.030 over and appears to be very, very low hours, possibly never making it to the water or for just one trip.

The block has 4 bolt mains - Assuming Mercruiser 260's did not have 4 bolt mains, it is a car motor that has been converted.

The bad - a lot of milky jelled oil (expected from sitting semi covered outdoors for years) clogging up the oil pickup and lifters.

Also if it is a car motor, I do not know what cam it is (no discernible part numbers - not interested in making a ton of measurements to figure out).

The really bad - although the engine is "fresh", something happened - not cleaned properly, dry start, or who knows, but all of the visibly new crank bearings look like the below and the crank doesn't look any better  :'(

So the plan is a new crank and bearings, rings, cam, lifters, valve springs, and gaskets.....

Offline Plugcheck

• Donate members
« Reply #136 on: February 26, 2020, 04:08:55 PM »
If the copper is visible, the bearings are toast.  Water in the oil can do this fairly quickly.  Not a whole lot of difference between car and boat engines when discussing common engines in Classic Glastrons.  You will be disassembling the entire engine anyway, so unless just for your own interest, you find some numbers on the cam, I wouldn't worry about it's specs.  If the crank bearings are that bad, rods, cam, and lifters likely will not look good either.  Full rebuild could be $3k+ depending on the power levels you look for, might consider a drop in long block, would save time and money, but you will have lots of cleaning to do.  Good time to upgrade fuel and ignition system.   
Michael
1979 CVZ-18 388 CI Vortec Mouse
1980 CVX-16SS 140 Mercruiser
1979 CVX-16 Johnson 175
2002 Bennington 2275CC 90 Mercury
1985 Intimidator project
1989 Lowe 200 Redneck fishin Toon
2001 Godfrey Sweetwater pontoon 115 Rude

Offline Scott in nh

« Reply #137 on: February 27, 2020, 09:01:38 AM »
If the copper is visible, the bearings are toast.  Water in the oil can do this fairly quickly.  Not a whole lot of difference between car and boat engines when discussing common engines in Classic Glastrons.  You will be disassembling the entire engine anyway, so unless just for your own interest, you find some numbers on the cam, I wouldn't worry about it's specs.  If the crank bearings are that bad, rods, cam, and lifters likely will not look good either.  Full rebuild could be $3k+ depending on the power levels you look for, might consider a drop in long block, would save time and money, but you will have lots of cleaning to do.  Good time to upgrade fuel and ignition system.

Oh the bearings are past toast, and the crank could be turned, but I am just going to buy new

The engine is fully apart, I cannot find any numbers on the cam, but the cam bearings were spared the carnage and don't even look like it was run

Lifters are not scored, but jelled up, cylinders are not scored, pistons and heads look great

So fortunately it isn't going to be anywhere close to $3k or even the price of a crate long block

I am replacing all gaskets and seals

I don't like the junkie stock headbolts, everything else looks good

As far as fuel and ignition:

The boat came with the original 305 manifold and 2 barrel carb (anybody need a really clean 2 barrel?)

I already replaced the manifold with an Edelbrock, and was already planing on buying a new 4 barrel carb, so I did not include that price below

Distributor is in great shape so I am just going to change to the Hot-Spark electronic ignition replacement for points, again a long planned change not included below

I don't think I am missing anything:

cam & lifters $218.00
springs         $66.00
rings            $120.00
timing chain $35.00
crankshaft   $193.00
bearings       $40.00
gaskets        $43.00
headbolts     $145.00
valve seals   $22.00
TOTAL       $882

Offline Plugcheck

• Donate members
« Reply #138 on: February 27, 2020, 11:32:53 AM »
A couple things I noticed.  If you're going with new Pistons rings, you need to hone the cylinders.  Just guessing from the price you listed you are ordering moly rings?   $43 for a full gasket set likely doesn't include stainless head gaskets?  Sure it can be done, but our beloved engines circulate lake water, not additive rich coolant.  Maybe you have closed cooling?   Could save on the springs if you check them, but stem seals are a good idea.  Any machine shop work?  Valve job, guides, block hone, rod checking/resize/bolts, frost plugs, oil pump, remote filter, oil drain, water pump, fuel pump, starter, harm balancer for new crank, balancing?   It's amazing how all the little things really add up. 
Michael
1979 CVZ-18 388 CI Vortec Mouse
1980 CVX-16SS 140 Mercruiser
1979 CVX-16 Johnson 175
2002 Bennington 2275CC 90 Mercury
1985 Intimidator project
1989 Lowe 200 Redneck fishin Toon
2001 Godfrey Sweetwater pontoon 115 Rude

Offline carlsoncvx18

• Donate members
« Reply #139 on: February 27, 2020, 12:46:21 PM »
I have been running plain old felpro head gaskets in my 18 for 9 yrs never a problem.
1987 CVX18.     1968 Glastron alpha sail boat
1977 GT150
1986 CV23
1984 Intimiadator
1981 CV27
1969 V-180 fundeck