Author Topic: Looking to buy a CVX 20, but need some info.  (Read 2368 times)

Offline Jm507

Looking to buy a CVX 20, but need some info.
« on: June 30, 2020, 12:03:59 PM »
New to the site, but have followed it for several years. I'm ready to buy a CVX 20 once I can find the right one. I have owned many boats, but none from this era. It looks like most of these have rot in the stringers and floors, if they haven't already been replaced. Does anyone know of a good shop in the Midwest (I live in Davenport Iowa) that does this kind of work and what I could expect to pay? My goal is to find a CVX 20 that has been very well maintained and is ready for the water, but I realize this might not be an option. I may also need to have the metal flake redone and would like to know if there is a shop in the Midwest that specializes in this. I'm open to any advice or suggestions that this group could provide that would me in reaching my goal of owning a great CVX 20. Thanks!

Offline Hyperacme

• Administrator
Re: Looking to buy a CVX 20, but need some info.
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2020, 01:18:41 PM »
Welcome to the forum Jm507 !

You can check the "GCOTD" thread ..  http://forum.cgoamn.com/index.php?topic=1077.0
I try to update every other day.

I check Craigslist and eBay with "Searchtempest"  .. https://www.searchtempest.com/
Also check local Facebook Market place, and any that are post on FB's Glastron groups.
I do miss some listings .. So you might want to do a local search from time to time.

There's also Kijiji .. https://www.kijiji.ca/

Not sure about old boat repair shops in your area, but Shipwreck in Dresser WI. is a good one.
Due to the amount of labor .. I would expect price to be crazy expensive .

Other shops (old list) here ..
Boat Restoration / Junk yards
http://forum.cgoamn.com/index.php?topic=6048.0
« Last Edit: June 30, 2020, 01:30:54 PM by Hyperacme »

Offline Plugcheck

• Donate members
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2020, 01:21:13 PM »
I suppose my first question is what CVX 20 model are you interested in.  They came in a stern drive model such as an intimidator, a OB version like a Sprint/ski machine, or as a jet with arguably the best looking stern of just about any boats.   It is possible to find a decent Glastron of that vintage that is not completely rotten, but you likely will pay a bit more for the unmolested models.  Money well spent though as a rebuild and new gel coat will cost thousands from most shops.   I don't know of any shops near you, but since your close to water, there probably are a few.  There are also folks that appraise boats and can tell you what your getting into.  If you're fairly new to boats, this might be worth the money to have done.    Good luck in your search, a vintage Glastron is worth the effort.
Michael
1979 CVZ-18 388 CI Vortec Mouse
1980 CVX-16SS 140 Mercruiser
1979 CVX-16 Johnson 175
2002 Bennington 2275CC 90 Mercury
1985 Intimidator project
1989 Lowe 200 Redneck fishin Toon
2001 Godfrey Sweetwater pontoon 115 Rude

Offline Jm507

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2020, 03:13:15 PM »
Thanks for the reply. I'm definitely looking for the jet version and preferably the deluxe model. In fact if I can find one in metallic silver it would be perfect. I already have two boat, so I need this like another hole in my head, but I fell in love with the style and its kind of a mid-life crisis kind of thing. I'm willing to pay above average price as long as the boat warrants it.

Offline cv-19

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2020, 07:55:29 PM »

Tap on the floor with something solid any you can tell
most of the time by the sound if its rotten under the floor .
 If you can an ice pick will let you know.
Have you ever owned a jet boat?

Offline Jm507

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2020, 09:26:09 PM »
Never owned a jet boat, but have own jet skis. With the design of the rear section on the CVX 20 is it possible to do a complete inspection of the floor and stringers? It looks like I can’t get access to the left & right rear section.

Offline Hyperacme

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2020, 02:32:15 PM »
I thought I had some pictures of the time they had Scott's CVX20 motor out, but can't find them.
Think he had soft floor and maybe motor mounts ?
Not a lot of room back there ...

Offline Hyperacme

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2020, 02:39:55 PM »

Offline 185GXSF-Guy

« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2020, 06:27:41 AM »
New to the site, but have followed it for several years. I'm ready to buy a CVX 20 once I can find the right one. I have owned many boats, but none from this era. It looks like most of these have rot in the stringers and floors, if they haven't already been replaced. Does anyone know of a good shop in the Midwest (I live in Davenport Iowa) that does this kind of work and what I could expect to pay? My goal is to find a CVX 20 that has been very well maintained and is ready for the water, but I realize this might not be an option. I may also need to have the metal flake redone and would like to know if there is a shop in the Midwest that specializes in this. I'm open to any advice or suggestions that this group could provide that would me in reaching my goal of owning a great CVX 20. Thanks!

FWIW - I used Xtreme Paint in Wyoming MN (http://www.x-tremepaint.com/marine.html) to restore/customize my 2001 Glastron GX 185 SF.  Their marine video on their site shows them restoring a Hydrostream Virage.

Speaking from experience, if you are going to have someone else do your restore, you'll almost certainly be in "more-money-than-brains" territory.
2001 GX 185 SF

Offline Jm507

« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2020, 11:43:49 AM »
185GXSF-Guy I know what you mean about getting upside-down on a project. I have done complete restorations of vintage motorcycles, but have never taken on a boat project. I have the confidence that I could complete most of the work myself, but I don't have the time or skill level to make it the way I want it. To me it's kind of like the guy that has always dreamed of having that perfect corvette (midlife crisis) and can now afford to get what he wants. My goal is to find one that is as close to my vision as possible.