Author Topic: CVX Seat Build  (Read 3815 times)

Offline Glastronjohn18

• project in progress
CVX Seat Build
« on: April 06, 2014, 09:56:02 PM »
It was a bit chilly this morning out in the garage (where the CVX is at ) so I went down to the basement and dug out my boat seat reconstruction project. Previously I tore down a front seat from a CVX 18 and made some patterns to replace the wood. Last fall I cut out the seat back and sides but that was as far as I got. Yesterday I cut the seat and cushion bases and today I put it all together. You can follow along with the pictures below.

These are the back braces. The factory used a 2 piece brace, which I made the pattern for.  I made one set of 2 piece braces
then tried a 1 piece brace thinking it would be stronger. The factory used 1/2 in. plywood but I made them with 3/4 in. thinking there will be a little more support.

NOTE:The one piece brace was made wrong. The wider part should go toward the seat back and the narrower part goes toward the side of the seat.

Here I'm fitting the braces to the seat base.
   Here's a hint. 
     Cut out the cushion base and use that along with the back braces for fitting.

I cut the cushion base after attaching ( with glue) the braces and as Murphy would have it nothing fit. I needed to trim the braces so the cushion base would fit.  Butcher would be a better description than trim.   

Note: The braces didn't fit because I cut/installed the wide part toward the side of the seat. That's why I needed to trim them to fit. Instead install the wider part toward the back of the seat and the narrow part toward the side of the seat.

Here I'm mocking up the back corner braces.

It looks as if everything is ready to assemble. 
The tops of the corner braces were cut 45 degrees and beveled, as they were at the factory. I recessed T-Nuts into the seat base instead of using factory style hex nuts.

Checking the top right button hole I found it was misaligned about 1/4 in.  I thought I mismarked the pattern or just messed up while drilling. I checked the picture I took at teardown and saw how the top right button on the back is higher than the others. It could be that the top left button is lower, who knows. I then looked at the other seat (the one I didn't tear apart). Both front seats  from this boat have the uneven button. The error was the factory's not mine.

I enlarged the holes so the buttons will fit correctly.

Fitting it all together

All glued and screwed. Just waiting for the glue to dry. I did use screws along with the glue.

Here they are.  A pair of seats just waiting for their turn at the upholstery shop.
You can screw the backs to the base at this point, however I'm going to steam the backs to make it easier for them follow the curve of the base.

To keep the glue fresh until my next project I sealed the tube with "Red Caps". I found them at Ace Hardware.
Go ahead and laugh I know what you're thinking.

« Last Edit: February 18, 2015, 12:41:48 PM by Hyperacme »
John
'80 CVX 18 - Survivor Class
'78 CVX 18
'76 V 225 -   Bal Harbor
'80 V195XL
'86 CVX 18- And '86 Makes 3

Offline CVX Fever

Re: CVX Seat Build
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2014, 11:04:04 PM »
Good idea on the construction adhesive John. It will do more to hold everything together than the screws. Those wood bases will be solid as a rock once that glue sets up.
1979 CVX18 "Back in Black"....someday!
1985 CVX18 " Only thing better than 2 CVX18's is 2 girlfriends!

Offline Rosscoe

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2014, 08:26:51 PM »
Looks great John. Those corner braces look like they might have been a bit of a pain. Did you do them on your table saw?
Ross
61 Surflite 1964 90HP Johnson project
67 V163 Bayflite Super Sport  1989 100HP Merc
67 V164 Bayflite 120HP
67 V174 Crestflite Rat Rod
71 V175 Crestflite 350ci -Jet
73 GT 160
84 CVX 17  83 115 Merc
88 CVX-23 350 Mag

Offline Glastronjohn18

• project in progress
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2014, 09:16:21 PM »
Those corner braces look like they might have been a bit of a pain. Did you do them on your table saw?

Yes they were done on the table saw. I used a  3"X3" cut to 17" long than cut it at a 45deg. angle. Trimmed the top edge at a 45 and rounded the edges. You can tell which ones were done first. I got better the second time around. I used the 90deg. sides toward the back and side pieces. The original corner braces used a different angle but the wood was so rotted I had trouble figuring what it was.
John
'80 CVX 18 - Survivor Class
'78 CVX 18
'76 V 225 -   Bal Harbor
'80 V195XL
'86 CVX 18- And '86 Makes 3