Author Topic: cvx-18 exhaust  (Read 65555 times)

Offline Hot Carl

Re: cvx-18 exhaust
« Reply #120 on: April 18, 2011, 04:14:38 PM »
That cover looks great man! Glad it all worked out the way it did. And I feel your pain when it comes to the crappy weather - the local MN weather guys are claiming we might get up to 6 inches of snow this week. Obviously I'm thrilled.
My name is not "Carl"

1980 CV23

Offline Shrom CVX-18

« Reply #121 on: April 19, 2011, 06:21:12 PM »
That cover looks great man! Glad it all worked out the way it did. And I feel your pain when it comes to the crappy weather - the local MN weather guys are claiming we might get up to 6 inches of snow this week. Obviously I'm thrilled.

More snow? Wow! I know I was hoping to to be out on the water by the of this month ??? Theirs still a chance but vary slim. Thanks for the compliment on the cover. All i need to do now is make receiver brackets for those new latches I put on ( hope to do this week.) and the hatch portion will be done for now.  I had thoughts of putting gas struts on it to hold it up. But I think I have changed my mind. I decided that I want to make it open the other way. So next that's next winters project. ;D
79 CVX-18 "Lowrider"

Offline Grinder

• '79 CVX 18
« Reply #122 on: April 19, 2011, 11:30:12 PM »
I was also hoping to get out but we got 8.1 inches of snow on Friday. I also went to the lake this weekend and the ice is only about a foot off shore. So it will be a while till I get a test run.  :'(
Shaun
86 CVX 18

Offline CVX Fever

« Reply #123 on: April 20, 2011, 08:25:38 AM »
I decided that I want to make it open the other way. So next that's next winters project.

That's a good idea Shrom. Or maybe design it so that the whole cover just comes off. I like having it open from the rear when on the trailer but when in the water it would be nicer to have it open from the front.

Hood looks great BTW! 8)  Let us know how it runs once you get it in the water. Have you picked up a new prop(s) to try out yet?
1979 CVX18 "Back in Black"....someday!
1985 CVX18 " Only thing better than 2 CVX18's is 2 girlfriends!

Offline Shrom CVX-18

« Reply #124 on: April 20, 2011, 07:29:53 PM »
I decided that I want to make it open the other way. So next that's next winters project.

That's a good idea Shrom. Or maybe design it so that the whole cover just comes off. I like having it open from the rear when on the trailer but when in the water it would be nicer to have it open from the front.

Hood looks great BTW! 8)  Let us know how it runs once you get it in the water. Have you picked up a new prop(s) to try out yet?

That was my thoughts too. The way I look at it is when I'm on the water I want to be able to access it easily so to have it open back would be real nice. Yes it is nice having open the way it is now for land, but the really the time you want it to be most convent is when you on the water worrying on where the current is taking you are trying to fix whatever the problem might be...

I did have thoughts on like you said about the whole cover coming off... hmm could probably be easily done if I just add two more of the new latches I got up at the bench seat.  I have all summer to think of that. ;D

Also I have no picked up any new props yet to try out. I have kinda been holding out till I run it first. but if a good deal comes around I might not be able to pass it up.
79 CVX-18 "Lowrider"

Offline Shrom CVX-18

« Reply #125 on: April 22, 2011, 02:18:07 PM »
Weather has not let up yet and the river is too high to get out anyway. But I did today back it in to the water and run it to check the temp running off the water pump. I did not have any overheating problems....infact my gauge showed no temp at all. I was checking the engine temp with my volt meter that has a temp reader on it, Just as a double check. Never overheated. Gauge is new, sending unit new, did tests on everything from dash back to the engine. All is in working order. I'm thinking something in my t-stat housing is weird ??? better running cold then hot right? lol I'm going to keep doing some more research, and probably just keep my eye out on a new style t-stat. Not necessarily "new".
79 CVX-18 "Lowrider"

Offline CVX Fever

« Reply #126 on: April 22, 2011, 05:53:23 PM »
Hey Shrom I think I'd get that temperature gage working before you take it out. Or if it's working but the motor is not coming up to operating temp that can't be good either. Hate to see something bad happen after all the work you put in it this past winter. 

Offline Shrom CVX-18

« Reply #127 on: April 22, 2011, 06:20:19 PM »
Hey Shrom I think I'd get that temperature gauge working before you take it out. Or if it's working but the motor is not coming up to operating temp that can't be good either. Hate to see something bad happen after all the work you put in it this past winter. 

Agreed,   after doing some more searching, I just decided that I better just spend the money and buy the new style thermostat and see if that will fix my problem. I think I'm missing an internal part to my t-stat housing that is allowing the water to just flow through all the time. 
In 2004 this engine was rebuilt. (I think their should be a sleeve in there, and they must have took it out)  Not only was it a test of temp check, but I was able to check and make sure nothing leaked  ;D All good!  I also made the receiver mounts for my new latches last week, got them installed.
79 CVX-18 "Lowrider"

Offline CVX Fever

« Reply #128 on: April 22, 2011, 07:47:56 PM »
Hey your latches look great! Like how they are nice and flush w/hood.

I think that's a smart move going w/new style thermostat housing. Was money well spent on Shaun's(Grinder) boat so I don't know why yours would be any different. Pretty sure Alex(Orange Fever) went that route also w/his CV23.

Offline Hot Carl

« Reply #129 on: April 22, 2011, 08:38:27 PM »
I think that's a smart move going w/new style thermostat housing. Was money well spent on Shaun's(Grinder) boat so I don't know why yours would be any different. Pretty sure Alex(Orange Fever) went that route also w/his CV23.

Kip nailed it - I just got mine in the mail today and it's already botled on, hoses clamped and ready to run  ;D

I feel ya though man - I didn't want to spend the extra coin for the new one but it solves any problem that might arise using the original t-stat, and it really cleans up the front of the engine!

I'll have pics posted of the finished product once it stops raining here...at least it's not snowing, right?

My name is not "Carl"

1980 CV23

Offline Shrom CVX-18

« Reply #130 on: May 12, 2011, 07:44:47 PM »
Getting the boat out tomorrow for a cruise.  Does anyone know what the red line is for my boat? 4500?
79 CVX-18 "Lowrider"

Offline Shrom CVX-18

« Reply #131 on: May 13, 2011, 08:21:26 PM »
Alright guys Had the boat out today. Runs rich needs a little tuning. but ran! lol

Ok now for the bad news...I was cruising along and looked at my gauges and 0 oil pressure showing. So natrually I turned it off right away!
Anyone have any thoughts? I really hope it is just a bad gauge or sending unit, or wiring.
79 CVX-18 "Lowrider"

Offline Rich_V174SS

• 1967 V174 Crestflite SuperSport Modified
« Reply #132 on: May 13, 2011, 08:29:51 PM »
To test the gauge disconnect the wire at the sender and touch it to engine ground while the key is on, the gauge should react and pin at the high end of the scale. If it does then the gauge and wiring is fine. Try replacing the sender. If after replacing it you still have no oil pressure then the fault is in the engine but I suspect the sender is the problem.
1967 V174 Crestflite SuperSport Modified
1987 Mercruiser 190 3.7LX/Alpha One

1970 V176 Swinger
1983 Mercury 115

Offline CVX Fever

« Reply #133 on: May 13, 2011, 08:38:09 PM »
Craig - I'd look to see if the sender got damaged or the wiring disconnected when the motor was pulled last winter. If the engine sounded OK at cruise w/zero oil presssure then I'd agree that it is the gage or something with sending unit/wiring. Check that the needle on the gage bumps when you turn the ignition on. Doesn't neccessarily mean the gage is good but at least you know it is getting power.

There should be an Orange decal on one of your valve covers that has the Max RPM with a bunch of other information.  

Offline carlsoncvx18

• Donate members
« Reply #134 on: May 13, 2011, 08:43:07 PM »
Craig

Look at my owners manual for my cvx and it listed the 305 at 4200 to 4600 rpm.

It also listed a minimum oil pressure at idle of 4psi
1987 CVX18.     1968 Glastron alpha sail boat
1977 GT150
1986 CV23
1984 Intimiadator
1981 CV27
1969 V-180 fundeck

Offline Shrom CVX-18

« Reply #135 on: May 13, 2011, 08:59:57 PM »
Craig

Look at my owners manual for my cvx and it listed the 305 at 4200 to 4600 rpm.

It also listed a minimum oil pressure at idle of 4psi

Thanks , I kinda thought it was in that range for the RPM and wow 4 psi? That seems low. I am going to run some tests on the gauge and the sending unit. But the thing that got me is that I opened the valve cover cap to check if there was oil splashing and I saw no oil movement. So I kinda think it is mechanical.  ???  If I find out that The oil pump is good and my bottom end is the problem, then Steve has a 350 that I will throw in it. lol
79 CVX-18 "Lowrider"

Offline OleRed

• Oklahoma Boating Group
« Reply #136 on: May 13, 2011, 09:04:52 PM »
hey Schrom ... shoot me a phone call  405-810-8044
1980 23ft Scimitar

Offline Shrom CVX-18

« Reply #137 on: May 16, 2011, 08:09:17 PM »
Gauge tested out good, I took the distributor out and made a tool to put in its place so i could turn the oil pump by hand without running the engine. Before I turns it by hand I also pulled the oil sending unit off. This way I could see the oil pumping out through the hole. Sure enough Just turning the oil pump by hand it pumped oil out the hole. Then for giggles threaded on a mechanical oil gauge and spun it with a hand drill, showed 15 psi. So I pretty sure it is getting oil pressure and its just my sending unit. Purchased one today but probably will not get it on till next week.
79 CVX-18 "Lowrider"

Offline CVX Fever

« Reply #138 on: May 18, 2011, 01:02:27 PM »
Craig good to hear it isn't anything too serious. Considering how hard marine engines work I kinda thought you would have heard the motor knocking, rattling, ticking, something,  if it was actually running zero oil pressure. Got my new parts yesterday, they look awesome! 8)

Offline Shrom CVX-18

« Reply #139 on: May 18, 2011, 04:27:09 PM »
Craig good to hear it isn't anything too serious. Considering how hard marine engines work I kinda thought you would have heard the motor knocking, rattling, ticking, something,  if it was actually running zero oil pressure. Got my new parts yesterday, they look awesome! 8)

That is what I figured too, Should be back on the water in know time.  I assume when you say your new parts. You are talking about the hatch screws? Glad they got to you! Can't wait to see them on the boat. The whole process was exciting to do. ;D
79 CVX-18 "Lowrider"