Author Topic: Return To Rathbun Saturday Group Meal  (Read 11847 times)

Offline WetRaider

Return To Rathbun Saturday Group Meal
« on: May 07, 2013, 11:00:39 AM »
I don't know about you guys, but I've really been craving smoked brisket lately ...

I'm thinking that on Saturday, since the beaches will remain under water, we can start our group meal as a late lunch and let it linger into the early evening - a come & go kind of thing.  This way we can take turns going out in the boats, tinkering, visiting, whatever.

I've got a decent sized crock pot, can get some beans cooked up and kept warm.  If I can figure out how to get creamed corn done on the camp stove, I can probably do that, too ..

The meat counter in town has trimmed beef brisket at roughly 6-7 lbs each.  I'm thinking roughly 24 lbs, prepared in a pressure smoker, with either oak or hickory.  I only have access to a pressure smoker, but the rub and flavor is good.  I can keep the brisket wrapped in foil and in a styrofoam chest and leave a knife and cutting board out for the come & go part. 

Anyone else want to bring something along, please do.  If I can do the meat & some beans, maybe some corn & paper plates, too - can we get some volunteers for rolls or other bread, maybe a few bags of chips, some plastic ware, and a few rolls of paper towels??
If you didn't get wet, you didn't have fun ~ WetRaider

Dan O'Connor
1979 GT 150 / 1976 Mercury 1150

Offline thedeuceman

• Administrator
Re: Return To Rathbun Saturday Group Meal
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2013, 12:33:15 PM »
We can bring a pasta salad to share, for this or any other group meal.
Joe
75 GT150 "SeaDeuced"... Its Back !!
92 16CSS "Attitude Adjustment" is for sale
75 CV-16V8, Project
74 CV-16... its Purple !

Offline Burnin Daylight

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2013, 12:47:48 PM »
The Oklahoma group can bring plates, plastic ware and paper towels.
1981 INTIMIDATOR  "BURNIN DAYLIGHT"
1984 CV23  "HOT KNOTS"

Offline Terry_Curran

• Donate members
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2013, 07:41:13 PM »
Dan, when you say  "wrapped in a cooler", do you mean on ice?

Terry

Offline 75starflight

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2013, 09:56:30 PM »
Hey Dan, Amber and I are bringing a camp stove oven. You could probably use that and our stove to keep it hot for the afternoon/evening. It is only a 10 x 10 shelf.
1975 v-179 starflite

Offline WetRaider

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2013, 10:03:20 PM »
Terry -
I was thinking of warming them in the oven at home, and placing them hot in the styrofoam to keep them warm - each wrapped individually in foil.
Or, I can bring them cool and try to work something out that maybe the Honey Creek restaurant can warm them for us.

Either way, I'll have to do them individually, so the first would be "cold" by the time the second was done cooking.  I can also look at having smoked in the morning and delivered to us at the campsites.  There are options - what are your thoughts? 

Dan O'Connor

Offline Terry_Curran

• Donate members
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2013, 05:31:13 AM »
My concern is food poisoning from improperly held food.  If food is to be held for over 4 hours, it needs to be kept at the right temps or we'll have problems, and it sounds like this may be the case.  Food needs to be kept at 41 and under, or, 135 and above in order to prevent bacteria from getting out of control.  And anything with mayonnaise, look out.   Not so much thoughts, as concerns.

Terry 

Offline thedeuceman

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2013, 06:11:13 AM »
We could just put it in a roaster like this one to keep it warm, if nobody has one down there we could bring ours.
Joe
75 CV-16V8, Project
74 CV-16... its Purple !

Offline WetRaider

« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2013, 08:04:04 AM »
Terry - I hear ya.  Thanks for voicing them!  Last thing I want is somebody getting sick out here and not wanting to come back.

Joe - What are dimensions of that oven?
I'll have to cut the brisket down to 3-4 lbs for that pressure smoker.  With a temperature setting like that, we can stack them up, still wrapped, and keep them maintained consistently.  Other than that, I can bring them cold and we can toss a foil wrapped package over a fire and heat it up that way.  I guess, if I really wanted to, I could bring out the microwave ...

Dan O'Connor

Offline thedeuceman

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2013, 11:23:09 AM »
i would guess about 20x14x8 (18 quarts)
we cook a big turkey in it and the lid fits on.
we also use it for shredded beef and stuff like that, works great for serving.
so it will hold lots, we could just transfer it in for serving.
Joe
75 CV-16V8, Project
74 CV-16... its Purple !

Offline WetRaider

« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2013, 11:25:08 AM »
If you don't mind bringing that, Joe, it could prove to be very useful!

My house is about an hour's round-trip drive from the campsites.  If all else fails, I can throw them in the convection oven at home to bring them up to temp and then drive them out. 

Dan O'Connor

Offline thedeuceman

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2013, 11:28:54 AM »
that would work great, i will bring it
Joe
75 CV-16V8, Project
74 CV-16... its Purple !

Offline Terry_Curran

• Donate members
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2013, 09:29:16 PM »
Dan, I remember you running back and forth to your home last year, and I appreciated everything you did, but I find it hard to believe that you and your family had a nice relaxing  time with all the running you and Courtney did.  I would hate to see you do that again this year.  It sounds like Joe is willing to bring his roaster, that should work out just fine.  And as far as I'm concerned, I'll eat it cold and not complain one bit.  Thanks for putting this together and giving others a chance to gather with like minded Glastron enthusiasts.  Just trying to get you to enjoy this event as everyone else does.

Terry     

Offline Terry_Curran

• Donate members
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2013, 09:30:06 PM »
BTW, I'll bring a dessert for the group.

Terry

Offline 75starflight

« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2013, 10:30:16 PM »
Amber an I will grab something when we get groceries before we set up camp not sure what but we will bring something. And I agree with Terry, we want you to enjoy it this year and get to relax with the rest of the group.
1975 v-179 starflite

Offline WetRaider

« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2013, 12:02:13 AM »
I got to relax last year - the boat wasn't ready.  Hehehe. 

I plan on relaxing.  We've got a new, big tent.  New bags.  Boat should be wet. 

I'll get that brisket done on Thursday, so I can bring it out with me on Friday.  We'll keep it on ice overnight, and serve it both warm & cool.

And thanks to you guys for participating.  I can plan all day and all night, but it doesn't do any good if no-one shows up.  I'm getting excited.

Dan O'Connor

Offline Bayflite73

« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2013, 01:27:20 PM »
I'm still trying to convince my better half that we should make the trip. Fingers crossed!
Josh Craig
'78 SSV-177
previously owned: '73 V-174 Bayflite

Offline WetRaider

« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2013, 01:52:09 PM »
Josh - how can we help?

There are nature trails and bike rentals at the resort ... the water park for the kids.  We're always fun at the campground, too ...

The set-up here is linear.  I realize everyone has their own preferences, but the "spread" here in terms of the individual campsites being one-after-the-other might help if it's an issue of feeling stuck in the middle of everyone.  There is plenty of space, and will most likely be several kids.

Anyone hear from Brian (BamBam) if he can make it this year?  I know that's knocking right up on the last day of school for his kids ??

Dan O'Connor

Offline CVZ18Fan

« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2013, 09:34:47 PM »
I'll be there in spirit. Gosh I wish I was closer to all you guys. How about I post a pic of me, print it out and ya'll can take turns taking me for a ride...lol.

I'd like to get a t-shirt, let me know how to purchase. XL please.

Hope you guys will post as many pics this year.

Rich

Offline WetRaider

« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2013, 10:39:03 PM »
Rich ...
Click the link > www.cafepress.com/runonrathbun
There are two links on that page - click on 2013 for this year's stuff ...

From that page, on the left are the "Return to Rathbun" graphics ... on the right are the general group graphics (these don't identify Lake Rathbun or the "Return to Rathbun" event ... )

I set it up so that all shirts are priced at "wholesale" ... the coupon codes don't work because I have purposely set the "profit" to $0.00

The link stays up all year.  The only thing this group has to do with the t-shirts is preparing the graphics and putting the selection up.  The ordering, fulfilling, etc. is all Cafe Press.  I can make the graphics available to anyone who wants to combine it with a photo of their boat or anything else.  They're easy to work with.

Dan O'Connor