Author Topic: cv16 hull problem  (Read 5693 times)

Offline UKMike

• Glastron Carlson CVX16
cv16 hull problem
« on: April 18, 2016, 04:18:07 PM »
Hey guys,

I hope all is well?

Could someone advise on the hull makeup of the cvx16? I have a 6 inch rusty stain starting to show underneath on my keel about 24 inches from the bilge plug, it seems to be coming from inside out and it's worrying me, I noticed an abnormal amount of water after being in the water for the first time since last season, the transom looks fine and I can't see any leeks, there are two white round objects on the transom below the waterline, do you think one of them could be leaking? Also are these cv16s double skins and how thick is the glass on the keel/hull?

Really appreciate advice in advance :-)
Mikey UK
« Last Edit: April 18, 2016, 04:20:52 PM by UKMike »

Offline Oldfishguy

• Donate members
Re: cv16 hull problem
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2016, 06:55:44 PM »
No, they are not double hulled.  One single layer of fiberglass about .25 inches thick.  Might be a little thicker back by the transom area, but not much.

Just to make sure we understand about where the water is increased.  I think you are saying when you pull the drain plug after pulling your boat form the water your seeing more water drain out.  Is that correct?

If so, you shouldn't be seeing really any water come out.  Everything should be sealed up tight.  I would start with resealing EVERTHING that is penetrating into the hull back by the transom.  That includes your transducer screw holes and your engine attachment bolts. I would even take that big engine loose and get behind there to make sure there is not an old engine attachment hole not seen.

How solid is your floor back by the aft area? These vintage Glastrons nortorisily hold water under the floor and rot the floor and keel beam.  The stain could definitely be seeping through from water trapped under the floor. 

Floors can be replaced with a bit of effort by owners, but you have to find the leak first.

Nice looking Glastron with a big motor,  I'm sure it flys!

Best of luck mate.

David
« Last Edit: April 18, 2016, 07:05:31 PM by Oldfishguy »
1972 1/2 Glastron CV 16
1973 Chrysler 120

Offline dorelse

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2016, 09:21:19 PM »
The scary part is the rusty stain 2 ft in front of the transom...are you sure that isn't coming from a roller or something?  Like has been said, I'd be looking at those holes very closely.
1990 Sierra 1700

Offline UKMike

• Glastron Carlson CVX16
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2016, 11:58:26 PM »
Thanks both,

Yes she seems to be getting water ingress within 10 minutes of being put into the water and yes she got rain water in her through the winter unfortunately and as she is stored 120km away from me I didn't get to her in time to get it out so that may have been the cause, the rust stain is definitely coming from inside out as its a brand new trailer and you can sort of see its penetrating the hull from the inside. The only thing though is that I think all the wood (apart from the seat has been removed as the carpet seems to be stuck to the skin. If the water has rotted and has penetrated the hull will she need to be reglassed from the inside? Will that be a likely fix if the hull has rotted?

Thanks and yes she flys, it's a v6 in the back  :)
MikeyUk

Offline Oldfishguy

• Donate members
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2016, 06:55:21 AM »

The fiberglass hulls really do not rot.  All the wood subfloor does though.  The reason I asked if the floor was soft is to see if your keel beam might be rotted and is letting the boat flex a bit when under load.  This could possible cause a slight bending or cracking of the hull where you are seeing the stain come through.  A possibility.  Could be other things too, like a fiberglass repair that may be allowing some moisture in and discoloring that area.  Or other, but definitely something to look into.

The carpet is glued or double sided taped to the wood floor from new, so it may be original, or have been replaced. 

Test your floor out though.  Is it soft and sponge in the aft area when you stand on it?  Grab a screwdriver and a light then crawl under the aft transom area inside the boat and poke at the transom to see if you find any soft rotted spots.

These are beautiful old boats, they just need some updating every 30 years or so.

David
1972 1/2 Glastron CV 16
1973 Chrysler 120

Offline Hyperacme

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2016, 09:30:54 AM »
There's a CVX16 restore here with pictures ...
http://www.classicglastron.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=6642

Should give you some idea of construction of your boat.

"  I have a 6 inch rusty stain starting to show underneath on my keel about 24 inches from the bilge plug, it seems to be coming from inside out and it's worrying me."

It would have to bleed thru fiberglass and gel to show ... do you think it could be stains from water draining out of hull and running down ?
Can you wipe/buff stains off ?

Any thing screwed to transom and not sealed / bedded properly will leak water into transom wood and start rotting ...

Offline dorelse

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2016, 09:47:41 AM »
Might be time to go out at night with someone and shine a light from inside the hull through the keel to the bottom outside.  Have you buddy look for any light coming through...at least you'd know if you've got a hole...
1990 Sierra 1700

Offline UKMike

• Glastron Carlson CVX16
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2016, 03:12:03 PM »
Thanks for all your help one and all. I'm sure all the wood has been taken out and the carpet is glued or taped directly to the glass and the rusty stain is definitely coming through the glass, I can see it behind the gel coat, The boat was re-gelled a few years ago so it may even be a previous repair that had a metal strip added in or something. If the hull has a crack in it can it be filled from the outside with filler and then a few layers of glass added inside, would that possibly repair it?

Thanks again guys, I've never had any hull issues before and I'm worried so much I can't take her out on the water until she's solid again, especially with that engine on her, she hits 60 mph in a few seconds on perfect water.

Br
UKMike

Offline UKMike

• Glastron Carlson CVX16
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2016, 03:26:10 PM »
Thanks for the link Gregg, always good to see the skin, do you know what the white round things are on the bottom end of the transom as they cou,d be leaking I guess?

Offline 75starflight

« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2016, 03:55:08 PM »
Thanks for the link Gregg, always good to see the skin, do you know what the white round things are on the bottom end of the transom as they cou,d be leaking I guess?

Does that cvx have a live well for fishing? I asked one of my buddies at work that fishes and he has seen something like those white pucks on boats with live wells. if the live well is gone or a hose is damaged yes you could have water intrusion from them.
1975 v-179 starflite

Offline UKMike

• Glastron Carlson CVX16
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2016, 01:58:32 AM »
Great thanks Brandon,

I can't see anything coming into the boat inside so it that's what they are for then maybe they need to be reseated, I guess they would be to bring water in and out of a tank on the boat to keep the fish alive, that would make sense, problem is that if I remove them I'm not sure of what I will get, could get trouble as I'm sure the would be a 3/4 hole.

Best
UKMike.

Offline Glastronjohn18

• project in progress
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2016, 05:13:04 AM »
Mike, sorry for the late reply. The pucks that are on the transom are part of a Mercathode system to prevent galvonic corrosion. They are wired to a controller and the battery. The picture below shows a newer system but should be similar to yours. . The wires of the transducers do go through the hull and if the seal fails you will have water intrusion. Hope this helps.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2016, 05:17:09 AM by Glastronjohn18 »
John
'80 CVX 18 - Survivor Class
'78 CVX 18
'76 V 225 -   Bal Harbor
'80 V195XL
'86 CVX 18- And '86 Makes 3

Offline Hyperacme

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2016, 09:00:58 AM »
Good call John .. Thought they might be LED lights ... LOL

Your hull's fiberglass is pretty thick and nothing should bleed thru, might be a bad spot in gel.
Can you get a picture of it ?  That could help ...

The  Mercathode is for a boat that will sit in a slip for long periods, with other boats around it.
If you remove it to check for leaks, just reseal it with a good caulk / sealant ...

Offline UKMike

• Glastron Carlson CVX16
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2016, 01:56:19 PM »
Thanks guys, I can't get to the boat for 2 more weeks but will check and take some close up photos for you, should be easier to understand what I mean about the rust problem  :)

Best
UKMike

Offline UKMike

• Glastron Carlson CVX16
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2016, 02:55:12 PM »
You guys really are the best ;D ::) ;D

Thanks again for taking the effort to reply and explain, I've had the boat 2 years now and after rebuilding the engine and refurbing the insides all with your help but I'm still learning things about her!

Don't know if you saw the short movie of her out on the water!  https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=1C3B25C66558894D!547&authkey=!AJpOT4wdGa-p4Ps&ithint=video%2cMOV

Or the engine after the rebuild. https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=1C3B25C66558894D!549&authkey=!AOcaY_aN-IfYH5w&ithint=video%2cMOV

Best
UKMike

Offline UKMike

• Glastron Carlson CVX16
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2016, 12:35:00 PM »
Hi all,

Thanks for all your inputs, had a look at the rust in more detail and it seems that what was happening is that the water coming out of the drain plug was running under the boat and settling at the point where I saw the rust. It must have been happening for some time as I needed to use a light glass paper on it, it was on the surface but it seems as though there is crack in the Glass at that point, it's not wet inside so will just leave it and see how it goes.

Best
UKMIKE