Author Topic: New guy Glastron V-166  (Read 13036 times)

Offline Aj1

New guy Glastron V-166
« on: December 28, 2016, 07:52:05 AM »
Hello all, new member here, I just thought I'd say hi and share my classic Glastron with you all. My dad bought this boat in the mid 80's and it has spent much of its life on the trailer with the exception of 1 or 2 times a year at the family lake cabin. That said, sadly it has also not had the greatest of care, unfortunately the transom and the stringers are nearly completely rotten. I bought it from my dad this past summer and used it a bit and then at the end of the season embarked on the repair of this classic boat.  It is probably not worth the expense but I cannot bear to se it trashed, especially when the hull is as good as it is. So, I am rebuilding it and also upgrading it, I have taken many photos already and will endeavor to add them as I go along in an effort to get suggestions as well as help others considering this! Attached is a photo of my classic Glastron as well as a few of the beginning of my deconstruction, the floor was so soft in the back that I literally used only a box cutter and my hand to pull the board up! :-/

Offline Aj1

Re: New guy Glastron V-166
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2016, 07:57:28 AM »
Here it is!
« Last Edit: December 28, 2016, 08:55:05 AM by Hyperacme »

Offline Oldfishguy

• Donate members
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2016, 08:03:14 AM »
Awesome introduction, and welcome.

I think most of us have gone through the rebuilding process and I think you have a good handle on it as well. Looks like a nice clean hull, that will be a fun boat to run, especially being a family aerloom.
1972 1/2 Glastron CV 16
1973 Chrysler 120

Offline Plugcheck

• Donate members
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2016, 08:37:42 AM »
       Welcome to the site and a further welcome to the draw of the classic Glastron.   There is a wealth of information  to be found here regarding the restoration of your craft.  As a suggestion, please look through the archives related to stringer/floor replacement and fiberglass work, when you get stuck there is help.  The restoration threads may not be the exact model of your boat, but the same process generally applies to all the Glastrons.   After looking through the threads, you will notice that there is multiple ways to accomplish  a given task, most craftsmen have their process and of course their budgets to consider.   You may also notice not to ask questions largely governed by opinion such as what material to use for stringers/transom, engine oils, or what is the best prop.  These topics have been covered numerous times and are well documented.  Not suggesting you don't ask, but if you do, getting a "rolling eyes" emoji, you'll know why.    Restoring a classic Glastron is worth the effort, but it can be hard work and have significant costs associated with the project, but if your willing to put in the time, it can be very satisfying.   Should you require someone else to perform the work, prepare for a bit of sticker shock, as a full restoration is very labor intensive and only increases as the size of the boat does.   Your story is a familiar one, there have been numerous owners who have had boats previously owners by other family members.   

When your restoration is complete consider inside storage when not in use, and your craft will likely live long enough to be handed down to your grandchildren.  If outdoor storage is your only choice, invest in the best cover/top you can afford.  Good luck, Michael. 
Michael
1979 CVZ-18 388 CI Vortec Mouse
1980 CVX-16SS 140 Mercruiser
1979 CVX-16 Johnson 175
2002 Bennington 2275CC 90 Mercury
1985 Intimidator project
1989 Lowe 200 Redneck fishin Toon
2001 Godfrey Sweetwater pontoon 115 Rude

Online Hyperacme

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2016, 09:04:15 AM »
Welcome to the forum AJ1 !

Hull / Gel look good, seats look good, floor not so good ...
Glastron's didn't have the best hull drainage designs, and you see the results.
Like Mike said, do some reading, ask some questions, get your grinder and "Go for it" !

Should run pretty good with the V4 Johnson on the stern !

Offline Aj1

« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2016, 03:09:51 PM »
Oldfishguy,plugcheck,hyperacme, thanks for the welcome guys. It does do very well actuallywith the 85 on the back, I think once I'm done it'll be much better actually, I feel like there is about 400# of waterlogged wood in the hull. I also plan to make a comprehensive drain system including bilge pump in the floor since it is apart now is the time right! Like I said, I'll continue to update with photos as I go along, it's freezing in Michigan so I'm not getting in the water anytime soon!

Offline Aj1

« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2017, 09:23:20 PM »
Ok guys, got a couple hours this weekend to take some more of the boat apart, I leaned some interesting things here, for anyone taking one of these apart, it looks like the stringers stop at the bulkhead at the feet of the driver, you can see this in the photo, also, unfortunately it looks like the way the stringers were glassed in on this hull was a very poorly done job, you can see one of the stringers where there is a gap of about 1/2" between the glass and the stringer wood! It was never laminated to a uniform unit! Also I got the motor off, not an easy task for one man, but doable. That said, also attached here is a pic of the steering cable, despite its age, it moves smoothly and after a little wd40 on the coupler between the cable end and steering tube came loose fairly easily, I can attribute this I believe to you can see in the pic that there is a grease fitting that my dad ( who I got this boat from) installed in the cable ferrule many years ago, highly recommend this upgrade if it's in your skillset. With all that said, my next step is im going to take the windshield assembly off, then I'm going to take a high speed cut off wheel all the way around the inside where the glass overlay remains where the floorboards were to trim it down to clean and smooth, then separate the top hull from the bottom, once that's complete, I'll also slice the remaining glass holding the transom in since it's rotted too and clean that up, then get started on cutting a new transom board as well as stringers. I plan to glass the new ones in using probably 24oz woven roving as well as west system g-flex epoxy to install the boards, then probably finish coat with west 105/205 resin hardener. This may be overkill here, I'm not sure but I'd be real interested in hearing your guys' thoughts and opinions on the subject and a intelligent direction to go, thanks!

Offline Aj1

« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2017, 09:27:22 PM »
Here's the pics

Offline Aj1

« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2017, 09:30:47 PM »
More

Offline Plugcheck

• Donate members
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2017, 07:32:18 AM »
      Sounds like a good start, tear it down to the bare glass and build up from there.   You mentioned using a cut off wheel to cut all the way around to separate the top and bottom.   There will be some tabbing, mostly at the transom, but the top is held on by a series of screws both under and through the rub rail.  The bottom has a ring, generally 3/4" ply material that the screws bite into.  In many cases of restorations, you will find yourself repairing or replacing this ring as well.   Over time the holes can get lose their ability to hold a screw tightly.  Personally, I reuse the holes through the glass itself unless the glass is badly cracked around it.   If I may offer one suggestion, if the bottom/top will be separated for a long time, I use 4-5 motorcycle trailer type straps to pull the hull sides in to keep them in the approximate position there will be in when the top mates back on.  This prevents the hull taking somewhat a "set" and making the top install all the more difficult.     Good luck,  keep posting progress.
Michael
1979 CVZ-18 388 CI Vortec Mouse
1980 CVX-16SS 140 Mercruiser
1979 CVX-16 Johnson 175
2002 Bennington 2275CC 90 Mercury
1985 Intimidator project
1989 Lowe 200 Redneck fishin Toon
2001 Godfrey Sweetwater pontoon 115 Rude

Online Hyperacme

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2017, 10:29:08 AM »
I did mine over the winter, would spend an hour or two in unheated garage cutting and grinding old rotted wood, a few nights a week.
I used a "Oscillating Multi-Tool"    http://www.harborfreight.com/power-tools/oscillating-tools/oscillating-multi-tool-62279.html
Slow going, but easy to control cutting ...
By spring I had most of the wood/glass cut out, wind shield, rub rail and trim removed, ready to remove deck and start repairs.
I only did transom and rear floor / drain bowl, so you will have more work after your deck is removed.
We (four of us) were able to remove deck and make all repairs in one long 12 hour day, yours might take a bit longer so would use some straps to hold sides from bowing out.

I wouldn't chance using the old steering, new NFB system are $200 to $300, and well worth the money.
So many BAD things could happen if it ever locked up again ...

Offline Aj1

« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2017, 09:57:50 PM »
Thanks for the suggestions gents, I do want correct myself here as I titled the post V 166 when in fact it's a t166, as I learn more it's so obvious t=trihull haha, in any case, what are the general consensus on my idea to use the woven roven 24oz and g flex ?

Offline thedeuceman

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2017, 11:22:57 PM »
Personally I use 1708 biax (woven roven and csm stitched together) and polyvinyl resin as was used originally on these old boats. Epoxy is good stuff, some say the best. But once you lay it up with epoxy you can't use poly cuz it won't stick.
It's all up to you, do the research and make your choice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Joe
75 GT150 "SeaDeuced"... Its Back !!
92 16CSS "Attitude Adjustment" is for sale
75 CV-16V8, Project
74 CV-16... its Purple !

Online Hyperacme

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2017, 09:48:51 AM »
For budget reasons, I used exterior grade plywood, polyester resin and 1708 biax on mine.
My original transom was two 1/2 inch boards screwed together and glassed in, I went with two 3/4 inch board with biax sandwiched between them and tabbed in with the biax. Had to use a router around splash well (cut thickness down to 1 inch) so deck would fit ...

I used about 2 gal. of resin for transom and floor/drain bowel under splash well, and a 1/2 gal. thinned down with styrene, that went for other things like side panels, bottom seat boxes, holes in transom for motor mount, bilge drain, splash well drain.

Got all my stuff here, GREAT people !
Told them what I was doing and they told me what I should use and how much I needed.
http://expresscomposites.com/

If or when I ever do another boat, I think I would go with the vinylester resin ...

Offline Aj1

« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2017, 08:53:09 PM »
Ok, finally got time to make more progress, I discovered the following THis hull is actually very easy to take apart, remove the rub rail screws all the way around, remove the 15 or so machine screws at the front by the seats, then cut a fiberglass tab that is under the splash well at the back and some epoxy that holds the edge together where the motor bolts on, then lift with a strong shoulder and off it pops! I put eyebolts in the rubrail screwholes and then used some parachute cord to keep the bottom hull from sagging like suggested too, just hadnt put them in yet in this photo, I found that basically all wood behind the bulkhead in front of the drivers feet needs replaced, I can't believe we were still putting this in the water! I think I'll not share that with my wife and just count my blessings that I did this when I did, as we all know the alternative is a catastrophic event. Next step for me is to start cutting old glass and removing rotten wood. My plan I think will be to rebuild the transom/fuel can area first and then work forward, that way the strength that remains from the stringers will help support while I work at the back, the. Ice thing here? Super easy to work standing behind it!!

Offline Aj1

« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2017, 08:54:39 PM »
Here's what she looks like!! 😬😫

Offline Aj1

« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2017, 01:01:15 PM »
Cut the floor pan where the gas tanks sit out last night as well as the bulkhead that is the front support for it, gas can floor came out in one piece, partially rotten but still ok-ish, will be able to use it for a template, the bulkhead was terrible, extremely rotten, but I was still able to extract it and I think I'll be able to make a template for it as well. Something I learned for anyone else for future reference which shocked me, this rear bulkhead had ZERO fiberglass on it, I was shocked! Also, the ends of the stringers can be seen here, the glasses over most of the stringer but left the end cap open, right where it sits in the bilge water! It never had a chance! Anyhow, here's the photos......

Offline dorelse

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2017, 05:40:47 PM »
Most of us aren't going to be shocked honestly.  They're extremely stylish boats...they're not extremely well built boats.
1990 Sierra 1700

Online Hyperacme

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2017, 06:49:30 PM »
Your pictures didn't post ...

Not surprised at all ...
Picture #1 ... Left side of my transom wood was so wet and rotted, I removed most of it with my hands.
Picture #2 ... The holes drilled to drain hull into bilge well, were two inches above lowest point and were NOT sealed.
Water puddled under un-sealed rear floor wood, unable to drain.

Though .. It did last 40 years ... LOL

Offline Aj1

« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2017, 08:32:31 PM »
Oops!