Author Topic: 64/65 Skiflite Build or Rescue  (Read 1658 times)

Offline _UnderWater_

64/65 Skiflite Build or Rescue
« on: August 20, 2013, 07:45:22 PM »
Well all I must apologize for my absence, I hope the meet went well.  As luck would have it we had TWO motorcycle breakdowns and one car so... Time and money were short as far as the poor Glastron went.  However work as resumed anew and you can expect frequent updates.

Time for some backstory: This was my cousin's boat. He was not what you would call a totally competent owner.  Hence the boat dying and us here today following this harrowing story of lost love and redemption. How an unloved boat will be saved and make wake again. It has already earned the name "Yacht" and will be ran as such. I knew the previous owner and know its whole history since 2010.  Mainly this little guy here.

Why we are here today:

This boat was an absolute blast for a season. Ran like a champ and always started first crank asap. Put all my old mercs to shame. Really it was that good.  He stored it at my property over the winter ('10).  I went through it in the spring and changed lower unit fluid and cleaned plugs de-winterized it.  Took it out to Tonka twice and it was running great. Had a float sink in June. Changed the needle, seats and floats in mid June. Ran great in the driveway on the muffs.  He took it out with some friends to Annadale and thats where "it" happened.  Now I'm not saying a lot of alcohol was involved but I'm thinking a bit.  Story goes it was running great til they went to a bar because their cooler was empty. There was water in the back of the boat from people jumping in and out possibly splashing the electronics box in the back.  Someone may also have kicked said box.  The boat did not start when they got back, just cranked.

Where we are at now:  Make it run!

First things first we drained all fuel and cleaned bowls and filters. Gas line filter is newer.  Every thing looked pretty good from a fuel perspective. The tank is rust free and has newer lines on it and holds pressure excellent. 

Lets hook up a battery and see what happens, this thing cranked great two years ago, aannnddd nothing. Not a hick-up. Well that's odd, took the battery cables to starter. Bam cranks like a champ.  That's the spirit.  So I'm pretty confident the starter is working good. 

The gap on the points was checked and came out perfect. A light polish and they look good as well.  Pull out a plug and crank it over. Nothing. Not a hint of spark, now I do remember it having some spark last time it was fiddled with. Something else could definitely have gone bad over the winters?

What we will be doing tomorrow:

Picking up two new coils and condensors. I know one is new and one is old on the coil side however they are cheap. Better to be new with spares. I am hoping our cranking issue a bad wire or ignition quit.  We DO have the factory manual, while it mentions tools I've never heard of, we will make do.  Our thinking is check the starter coil. Check continuity of wires from ignition to coil. It has the original (?) throttle and shift controls and I know the shift cable is half shot. So add that to the list.

Stick around folks this project is in full swing and will splash this season!  I know everyone likes pics so get ready.