Author Topic: New trim position and limit sensor adjustment  (Read 1629 times)

Offline demian5

• Work hard and use your vacation days...
New trim position and limit sensor adjustment
« on: July 29, 2019, 10:18:48 AM »
When I got my boat, the trim limit and position sensor wires were so corroded and bad that I had to splice the limit wires together to be able to move the drive up. After replacing the stering pin and gimbal ring I also put in a set of sensors. I would like to know whats the proper adjustment for both? Thanks in advance!
1979 Glastron Carlson CVX 16 SS I/O Mercruiser 140 "Brick House"

Offline Rich_V174SS

• 1967 V174 Crestflite SuperSport Modified
Re: New trim position and limit sensor adjustment
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2019, 08:27:49 PM »
For the trim gauge trim the drive all the way down and adjust the sender puck on the gimbal ring so the gauge needle is on the bottom mark.

Here's the measurement to use for setting up the trim limit.

1967 V174 Crestflite SuperSport Modified
1987 Mercruiser 190 3.7LX/Alpha One

1970 V176 Swinger
1983 Mercury 115

Offline 1973GT150

Re: New trim position and limit sensor adjustment
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2019, 09:13:08 PM »
Ok so I’ve done a hundreds of these and the way I do them is like this. Trim drive all the way in. If you look at the gray piece on the backside of senders there are alignment marks. Set them on the marks and install them without turning them. Now with someone at the helm have them just turn key to on position do not start engine. Have them read the gauge. It will more than likely be below down, now adjust position sender just until the needle sits on first line and tighten. Have them trim up and see if gauge moves immediately have them stop and go back down to see if gauge returns back on first line. If so tighten that sender and move on to the other side. Have person trim to limit and give reading on gauge doing this all with key in on position. If it doesn’t read half up at max limit loosen limit sender and have person hold their finger on trim button and turn slowly until drive starts to trim up while person reads gauge until it is at half on gauge. Once that is achieved tighten screws and have them trailer all the way up and it should read fully up. If so you are done. Don’t go by the measurements you will more than likely be in the specs anyway. I do this like this because if you do it by the book it will more than likely trim up faster than the gauge and gives a incorrect reading. I like to see the gauge move exactly the same time drive moves. I am a mercruiser tech for over 30 years. I hope this helps