Author Topic: Are hairline cracks in gelcoat along hull ribs an issue that needs to be fixed?  (Read 1831 times)

Offline Buckey

Hi, I was out looking at a boat I picked up in the fall and noticed some very fine cracks long-ways on the hull.  They appear on the sides or next to the ribs in the hull.  Are these an issue that should be repaired, or would they be considered cosmetic?
The boat is a DeltaCraft 170 XLT, basically a copy of the CVX16.
Thanks

Offline thedeuceman

• Administrator
Could you post some photos?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Joe
75 GT150 "SeaDeuced"... Its Back !!
92 16CSS "Attitude Adjustment" is for sale
75 CV-16V8, Project
74 CV-16... its Purple !

Offline Buckey

Could you post some photos?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I wish I could, but unfortunately I didn't take any pics of them.  There are only a few and they range in length from 2-4ft long and they run long ways next to, and sometimes run up onto the sides of the strakes.  There are only about I'd say 5-6 fine lines or so.  They can't be felt with a finger nail but are visible.  Are these typical for an early 80s boat.  Other than these the hull looks to be in very good shape.

Before I posted this I should have googled it, as there seems to be lots of information on it.  The main concern after reading some posts is delamination over time if water continues to breach the crack.

I'll take some close up pics next time I'm out there.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2021, 08:37:37 PM by Buckey »

Online Hyperacme

• Administrator
Maybe just stress cracks in gel.
Or ..
Could be from pressure points from roller trailer.
Or ..
Wood is rotted in stringer and hull is flexing

Offline Buckey

Maybe just stress cracks in gel.
Or ..
Could be from pressure points from roller trailer.
Or ..
Wood is rotted in stringer and hull is flexing

Thanks, the boat was on a roller trailer that I don't think that was providing enough support but after all the reading I've done on this, that would likely have resulted in the spider wed style cracks.  The cracks I have run along the strakes in a relatively straight line.  There aren't many of them so I'll probably dig and fill them just so I don't have to think about them :).

The floor feels solid, but one never knows whats under it.  What I think I'll do there is drill some holes and check the floatation material to see if there is any moisture.  If there is I'll cut up the floor and remove the stuff and at that time I can check for rot.