General Category > General Discussion

Good news and bad news

(1/5) > >>

Rosscoe:
I managed to install both the missing frost plugs in the 175 block. That is the good news. Unfortunately my engine hoist hydralic ram wouldnt hold things in place while I removed the engine mount so that made it more of a challenge. Despite blocking both under the engine and hoist arm I had to continually pump the thing back up. Things were actually going good tonight, getting close to being done in about 1/2 the time it took me to do the first one, then I broke motor mount bolt off in the block. @!#%  >:(I think with the hoist contiunally losing its holding capability, it sank and put all kinds of pressure on the bolts as I ratcheted them in.
Needless to say I am not happy. Removed the mount again and was hopeful I'd be able to back it out by getting a vice grips in the 3/16" of bolt sticking out. No go. Looks like I am going to have to drill it out and that may require me to buy an angle drill. Maybe I can rent one? I really dont want to buy one.
I will be installing new "hardened" bolts once I recover from this.

Eric_Michael:
I am not a welder, so I don't know if this will work....

I have heard of situations like this where a skilled welder can attach nut to broken bolt.  The bolt can then be extracted with a ratchet.  I think it depends on the types of metal too.  The welder can work on the bolt, but the weld will not tack on to the block.

HTH,
-Eric

Green with Envy:
Right on the money. I've seen this done. I guess there needs to be access and clearance. Make sure you're well ventilated.

Allan

Rosscoe:
Thanks for the suggestions. I think it would be tough to weld onto that small of a stub sticking out but you did say "skilled" welder.
Tonight I bought a right angle attachment for my drill and will try to drill a pilot hole and get a screw extractor in there. If that fails, I'll  have to drill it out 100% then chase the threads with a tap.

Hotwired:
Actually, it's not all that tough.  I have even done that, with a dock post though.  All yo need is enogh of an exposed thread to be able to start the nut on then you weld inside the nut.  In my case, welding the nut on even heated up the broken bolt enough to break the rusted bolt free with the heat from welding it up.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version