General Category > General Discussion

Garmin etrex H GPS for the boat

(1/5) > >>

David CVX-16:
Been wanting to purchase a GPS for the boat for a long time, and also to use for my walks, recording the miles walked, average speed, and moving time.

For the boat, it would be to test props for the fastest one, to record the current speed, and to record the miles traveled (as we often do not know the distance to plan for the gallons of gas to take along).

Purchased a Garmin Etrex H GPS new on Craigslist for $50, and am learning how to set it up. The settings are endless and alot of them will not be using as they are for tracking and locating spots. 

One has a choice of five screens on display at a time, and I will probably chose current speed, maximum speed, moving average speed, time moving, and distance of the trip.

Plan to somehow mount it on the steering wheel or dash (without making holes) of the boat. Garmin makes a number of mounting devices.

Anyhow this may be the poorman's answer to a $400 Gaffrig GPS speedometer.

Rich_V174SS:
Same thing I've currently got. Was given to me by a person I fixed a boat for.

catchnedge:
Just my two pennies worth, but don't think I would put on steering wheel... may get tough to read.  I wonder if there is a "suction cup" mount you could temp place on windshield?  That would be nice.  I would like to someday get one of those/more of a permanent set up as well... I've just been taking my car's Garmin with me on occassion to check speeds.

David CVX-16:
Rich or Gregg, how do I get the "Max Speed" display on the Pointer Page?

David

Rich_V174SS:
I think it was the bottom button on the left-hand side, like a "mode" button, just press repeatedly until the max speed shows up.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version